miXture

brinkz0r

Hi all :)

A while ago, I started building a case with a friend of mine. We chopped up his Cosmos S in the first weekend, and rarely spoke since. The case has been on a shelf in my house ever since. About two weeks ago I wanted to get rid of the case, so I gave him a call but he didn't want it back. A few days later, this contest popped up :) I hope I can still participate, as that first weekend was before July 2010. We didn't work on it since then, but I want to restart the project for this contest.

This is the case we started with, a CM Cosmos S:

miXture_00_01.JPG

miXture_00_02.JPG

The first thing we did was to remove half of the drive bay mounts:

miXture_00_04.JPG

The red lines show what is going to happen to this poor case:

miXture_00_05.JPG

miXture_00_06.JPG

Yep, that's where we chopped it, Leepu style!

miXture_00_07.JPG

Without giving everything away, this is a sketch of what will happen to the left side of the case. The right side will stay completely stock, to give as much contrast as possible 8)

miXture_00_08.JPG

miXture_00_09.JPG

The next thing to do was to modify the top of the case. Here I'm using a laser line to see where to cut:

miXture_02_01.JPG

miXture_02_02.JPG

miXture_02_03.JPG

So, after a few hours of using a lot of different tools:

miXture_02_04.JPG

The mesh was cut using just a Dremel:

miXture_02_05.JPG

miXture_02_06.JPG

All of the parts assembled again:

miXture_02_07.JPG

I will not need this stuff anymore ;)

miXture_02_08.JPG

Let's put it back on the case:

miXture_02_09.JPG

miXture_02_10.JPG

miXture_02_11.JPG

We fast forward to last weekend, when I gave the case a good stare down. It was time for a new approach and new plans :)

miXture_04_01.JPG

miXture_04_02.JPG

miXture_04_03.JPG

miXture_04_04.JPG

miXture_04_05.JPG

I decided the first thing to do was to reinforce the case a bit, since we've cut out so much of the frame. The side panel will be made of 8mm Lexan, so that will be a little heavier than the original side panel. I started with a 2mm black alu panel:

miXture_04_06.JPG

And after a lot of cutting and fitting ;)

miXture_04_09.JPG

Before I was able to mount it to the case, I had to get rid of all the bumps that are in the top panel, like this one:

miXture_04_07.JPG

So I grabbed a hammer and a piece of wood, and start hitting the poor thing. This is what happed to everything that was standing on my workbench :P

miXture_04_08.JPG

But it worked very well and I was able to mount the black plate to the case:

miXture_04_10.JPG

miXture_04_11.JPG

I hope you're liking what I've done so far, but there will be a lot more where this came from :) There is still a lot of work ahead of me, so we'll meet again next time!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys ;)

The second bullet on the list was the reinforcement of the back. As you can see, it has a lot of non-usable holes, for a 120mm fan and the power supply:

miXture_05_01.JPG

miXture_05_02.JPG

Again, I'm using black 2mm alu:

miXture_05_03.JPG

The rough shape was made to fit the back of the case, which was pretty hard to do nicely. Then I drilled a few holes to mount the plate:

miXture_05_04.JPG

After which it was much easier to cut the other lines:

miXture_05_05.JPG

miXture_05_06.JPG

miXture_05_07.JPG

It has not been bolted to the bottom of the case, because I'm not sure if I am going to place the PSU there. The case is much more solid already, and the back looks way nicer now :)

Update

Slowly but steady I'm working towards building the new side panel. This is gonna be one :) of a job, but we'll see how it goes. For now, I need to remove some more plastic from the old side panel:

miXture_06_01.JPG

miXture_06_02.JPG

A few rough cuts with the Dremel left me with this:

miXture_06_03.JPG

At this moment I forgot to make a few pictures, but the end result isn't very much different from the picture above. I did still make a hole to bolt the plastic to the case.

But before I can mount a new panel, the case needs a few more mounting points. I am using these two pieces of angle aluminium that were laying around, as was everything I've used so far. The sizes are different but that doesn't matter:

miXture_06_04.JPG

After an hour of cutting, drilling, measuring, drilling, fitting and bending, this is the result ;)

miXture_06_05.JPG

Like a glove :D

miXture_06_06.JPG

miXture_06_07.JPG

miXture_06_08.JPG

The strip at the top was a little easier, because there's no bend in it. So I was able to mount it after just a little work. To mount it at the right place the first time, I took a scrap piece of acrylic that automatically gives me the right angle of the side panel:

miXture_06_09.JPG

For that I used a few pieces of double sided tape:

miXture_06_10.JPG

Four drilled and tapped holes later, I am able to mount it to the case. Now it looks like a side panel can me mounted to the case :)

miXture_06_11.JPG

miXture_06_12.JPG

I know the angle bars don't have the exact angle of the side panel, but I will be working on that in the future. Also, I don't know how precise I have to make everything to be able to mount the side panel properly, still have to figure out that part.

This is it for now. This is the work I've done in the last few days. I want to update this log at least every week to keep everything going, and hopefully there won't be a lot of work left at the end of the contest period. Fingers crossed, and see you next time ;)

Archived