miXture

brinkz0r

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update

I want to have two fillports at the top, one for the water going in and one for the outgoing air. There's only one problem, there is not enough space to use a standard fillport or a weird construction with fittings. So I went for my standard solution: "When everything else fails, build something out of 20mm acrylic" ;)

First up, a 1:1 scale sketch of the piece, with the same 42 degree angle as the big white sheet:

miXture_11_01.JPG

Next step: cutting a chunk out of the big sheet of 20mm acrylic. I had to cut it by hand to prevent it from melting. The holes were drilled with a 12mm drill, in one time. To make sure it wouldn't crack I clamped it in multiple ways and I had to cool it repeatedly. The holes were threaded with a G1/4" tap:

miXture_11_02.JPG

miXture_11_03.JPG

miXture_11_04.JPG

The plan was to not drill the holes completely through, but I had to do that so I could tap them. The result is that I need to put in even more stops. This is how the complete assembly will look :)

miXture_11_05.JPG

At the case, it should look something like this is the near future. I will cut a hole in the top of the case for the two fill ports. When in use, I will only have to slide off the top of the Cosmos to reach the fill port:

miXture_11_06.JPG

miXture_11_07.JPG

It ain't much this time, maybe more next time ;)

Update

In a moment I will continue with the fillports, but until then I want to show you a few pictures of the cutouts for the tubing of the radiator. It's not very special, but hey, it's progress ;)

miXture_12_01.JPG

miXture_12_02.JPG

For the tubing of the reservoir I drilled four 10mm holes:

miXture_12_04.JPG

miXture_12_05.JPG

There it is :) The center to center distance of the fillport block is the same as the distance on the reservoir to make the tubing straight:

miXture_12_03.JPG

If I wanna be able to use the fillports, I will have to cut a hole in the roof. And as anything with hex mesh looks cool, I made you a picture ;)

miXture_12_06.JPG

Instead of one big hole, I will make two holes close together:

miXture_12_07.JPG

miXture_12_08.JPG

Drilled, cut and filed. I really need a step drill :(

miXture_12_09.JPG

The result of the past few days, completely mounted:

miXture_12_10.JPG

miXture_12_11.JPG

miXture_12_12.JPG

I'll have to figure out what I will work on next, I think I will work on mounting the pump :) I will also have to start searching for a motherboard, so I can continue working on the side panel and the CPU cooler.

Update!

This is what the bottom of the case looks like right now:

miXture_13_01.JPG

miXture_13_02.JPG

Because I modified a few things on this case (that's an understatement ;) ), most of the holes can't be used the way they were intended to. On this picture, the PSU will be placed more to the right, the fan will be placed more to the left. So let's cover all that up with white acrylic :) Starting with the rough shape:

miXture_13_03.JPG

The rough shape is ready and was measured correctly, now it's time to make a few smaller cutouts:

miXture_13_04.JPG

The back fits now, hiding the mounting of the bars and some rivets:

miXture_13_05.JPG

Doesn't quite fit in the front though, there are still some nuts and bolts there:

miXture_13_06.JPG

I drilled a few shallow holes on the other side:

miXture_13_07.JPG

To make room for these protruding bolts:

miXture_13_08.JPG

I made some room for the nuts and bolts in the front also. I couldn't use countersunk bolts, so I drilled two holes that were slightly bigger than the bolt head:

miXture_13_09.JPG

Just a little filing left to do, on the edge on the left:

miXture_13_10.JPG

Done :)

miXture_13_11.JPG

miXture_13_12.JPG

I promised you that I was going to work on the pump, and I did. Before I could mount the pump, I had to make the bottom plate though. I still had this mini pump lying around:

miXture_13_13.JPG

miXture_13_14.JPG

When it ain't broke..... ;)

miXture_13_15.JPG

I has to be mounted right here, but sunk into the acrylic. That would set the inlet of the pump on the same height as the outlet of the radiator. I know it's more common to route the tubing directly from the reservoir to the pump, but I'm placing the radiator in between. I'm confident that will work just as well.

miXture_13_16.JPG

Cut and filed:

miXture_13_17.JPG

Nice, it fits :)

miXture_13_18.JPG

To mount the pump to the acrylic, I drilled and tapped two holes in the part that isn't in contact with the water:

miXture_13_19.JPG

I will mount it with this tiny part:

miXture_13_20.JPG

miXture_13_21.JPG

O RLY? That's what came to mind when I saw this next picture:

miXture_13_22.JPG

I will glue the plate later, once I cut all of the holes that still have to be cut. As I said, a power supply and a fan will probably be mounted there also. I will leave you with a few overview shots of the state the case is in now:

miXture_13_23.JPG

miXture_13_24.JPG

miXture_13_25.JPG

(much better than before, don't you agree? :) )

miXture_13_26.JPG

miXture_13_27.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Update

It took me a while, but here it is. Only two more weeks before the deadline, that's going to be tough :(

A few posts ago, I was whining about needing a step drill. A few days later a nice guy named Mexel sent me a message, that I could have his. Have? Yes have. I gladly accepted, and sent him some of my products in return. This is the drill, it makes holes up to 22mm :)

miXture_14_01.JPG

In 2mm thick aluminum, the hole looks like this. Not perfect, but way faster then my previous methods:

miXture_14_02.JPG

miXture_00_logo_cm.jpg

Now it's time for my first sponsor ever. Cooler Master responded to my email and were kind enough to send me this huge V8 cooler. Exactly what I needed, thanks Marco!

miXture_14_03.JPG

Because I was looking for a big cooler, this one will fit perfectly. Well, actually it won't fit, but that's the idea ;)

miXture_14_04.JPG

miXture_14_05.JPG

miXture_14_06.JPG

Back to modding. This is the original left side panel of the Cosmos S, that will not be used in this case. The design is very clever, with multiple layers and bolt connections. I removed the lower part, that's the part that I am reusing right now. I may use the rest as a photo frame in the future :)

miXture_14_07.JPG

miXture_14_08.JPG

My new side panel has a weird shape, so I can only use a little part of it:

miXture_14_09.JPG

I wanted to bend the edges to add strength, but chose to cut a piece of lexan to size to reinforce the steel:

miXture_14_10.JPG

Fits like a glove:

miXture_14_11.JPG

miXture_14_12.JPG

I still need to remove a chunk because of the Nexus fan grill:

miXture_14_13.JPG

All bolted together, once again with M3 bolts that leave the front of the sheet flush:

miXture_14_14.JPG

miXture_14_15.JPG

I hope the next pictures show why I am using this. One of the nicest features of the Cosmos S is that the side panel remains standing when flipping the switch at the back. The same principle will work with my side panel now, only without the back switch:

miXture_14_16.JPG

miXture_14_17.JPG

miXture_14_18.JPG

Now that is sorted, I can more easily drill the holes for mounting that part to the case:

miXture_14_19.JPG

miXture_14_20.JPG

For now, the Lexan is still clear so the reservoir is easily visible. The side panel will be white later on though, so I needed to cut a window in my window:

miXture_14_21.JPG

miXture_14_22.JPG

Roughly cut:

miXture_14_23.JPG

Filed:

miXture_14_24.JPG

miXture_14_25.JPG

The second plate will have an exact copy of this window, only rotated, through which the reservoir will be visible also. I will use some thin acrylic for the windows itself.

Last weeked I was at The Party 9, a lan party for about a 1000 people here in the Netherlands. I brought Cubeleon with me to take part in the Casemodding Contest, but I was beaten by The Black Box and a cardboard box that was thrown together a day earlier. The only reason that I won a price, was because they put me on the website as a second place winner, which turned out to not be the case. Highflow got me a Cooler Master V10, the big brother of the cooler I just got straight from Cooler Master.

miXture_14_26.JPG

miXture_14_27.JPG

miXture_14_28.JPG

But I will still be using this one:

miXture_14_29.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Update

We've got one more week to go before the deadline, so here is an update of a few days ago..

The first thing was to make a strip of aluminum to join the two major parts of the side panel, as I don't trust a glue joint alone. Fortunately, the test piece was glued very well, very solid. This is the 2mm strip:

miXture_15_01.JPG

A nice series of holes has to be drilled. At some places this isn't possible because other parts are in the way:

miXture_15_02.JPG

Drilled the holes and added a bending line. I grinded a line into the metal with a Dremel to be able to make a nicer bend:

miXture_15_03.JPG

Bent with the use of a wooden hammer while clamping halve of the strip. I used an angle measurement device to make sure the bending angle was the same all the way:

miXture_15_04.JPG

Now to something else, the second part of the side panel. That needed a window also, so the reservoir is very visible:

miXture_15_05.JPG

miXture_15_06.JPG

miXture_15_07.JPG

These two pieces of 3mm acrylic will be the actual windows later on:

miXture_15_08.JPG

This is how all of the parts mentioned above fit on the side pane:

miXture_15_09.JPG

The rest of the time was spent on mounting the PSU and the hard drive. The power supply doesn't fit in its original position anymore, so I decided to shift it back a little. It still needs to get rid of its hot air, so a few holes were cut in the back panel:

miXture_15_10.JPG

A short cable was created:

miXture_15_11.JPG

To make the big hole look a little nicer, I added some hexx mesh and glued it in with super glue:

miXture_15_12.JPG

The power supply will be mounted with two bolts and an Attila-style bracket ;)

miXture_15_13.JPG

miXture_15_14.JPG

With the use of some more white acrylic, I am making a compartment for the PSU and its cables:

miXture_15_15.JPG

miXture_15_16.JPG

I used some nice angles, that make the fit even better:

miXture_15_17.JPG

miXture_15_18.JPG

miXture_15_19.JPG

miXture_15_20.JPG

The thick piece of acrylic was added because this is a very short power supply. Most others are 20mm longer, and they need to fit also.

Now it only needs a roof:

miXture_15_21.JPG

miXture_15_22.JPG

Because I have cut away all of the drive bays and filled it with some weird shapes, there is not a lot of room to fit a hard drive nicely. This is how it will be mounted:

miXture_15_23.JPG

I am skipping the pictures of the drilling and countersinking the mounting holes if you don't mind ;) Here a test drive is mounted:

miXture_15_24.JPG

The last thing to do was to cut a hole for the hard drive cables. Unfortunately I also had to cut off a part of the compartment, otherwise the side panels won't fit:

miXture_15_25.JPG

I will probably glue these parts together, or bolt it if there is no other way.

To fill the case, I ordered some new hardware. An Asus P8P67 motherboard fitted with an Intel i5 2500K unlocked processor. The memory is a set of 4GB Corsair Vengeance boards. I will probably use my old graphics card for the final pictures, as I can't afford to buy one right now.

Some more work has been done by now, but I really need my time to finish the case ;)

I still have a lot of pictures left to share from the building process, but there is no time left so I will just show you guys the pictures of the finished case :D The mixture of styles worked very well, because of the combination of watercooling and air cooling, and by keeping one side of the case in stock condition and completely rebuild the other side. Here it is:

miXture_18_01.JPG

miXture_18_02.JPG

miXture_18_03.JPG

miXture_18_04.JPG

miXture_18_05.JPG

Very cool build, Peter. Maybe its just me, but I see lot of similarities with my old Stealth casemod; weird angles, cutting of big chunks etc. Anyway, this compo has attracted so many great builders, that the ppl are kinda overwwhelmed with super cool builds like yours. dont you agree ? :shock:

Very cool build, Peter. Maybe its just me, but I see lot of similarities with my old Stealth casemod; weird angles, cutting of big chunks etc. Anyway, this compo has attracted so many great builders, that the ppl are kinda overwwhelmed with super cool builds like yours. dont you agree ? :shock:

Thanks Frenk :) There are some similarities indeed, although the result is quite different ;) It is true that every big modder is participating in this one contest.

Great job brinkz0r! and I really like the implementation of the individual compartments! Good photos too! :cheers:

Thanks a lot Bill! I was able to borrow a good 18MP camera with a few lenses. Then all I had to do was shoot a few pictures and resize them to 355x267 for the contest page :? You almost got as many votes as me, with just those few parts. Too bad that you couldn't make the deadline, are you still going to finish the case?

Archived