Scratch build: BETA (FINISHED)

Gtek

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After a short break (2weeks holiday) I'm back and started to work on a mobo cover and it's stand-offs. I'm going to use 3mm dark tint perspex for the cover and 10mm OD perspex rod for stand offs (4cm long). Internals should arrive soon...

bitech68.jpg

bitech69.jpg

bitech70.jpg

• 1 month later...

Oh wow! How could I overlook this. Ahhh, a late-comer to the contest. I would have commented A LOT on this build. A truly masterful and totally innovative use of fiberglass, one of my favorite materials because it is the cheapest and easiest way to curved surfaces in mods. How many layers did you use, 2 or 3?

Did you think of making and using a silicon or at least a plaster mold? Smoothing an externally applied surface is soooo hard to leave it looking like mold-injected plastic or stamped metal. It is easily 20X or more times harder to leave it smooth than making the piece in the first place, I know, no matter how carefully you apply the fiberglass and even with a smoothing metallic roller.

This would also like very hot with a translucent effect. A solid looking tinted surface (maybe marbled or speckled) but turning on light behind, it would glow. POW! Sorry, planning my own version as you see, hehe.

Unfortunately I shun the use of metal framing, preferring styrene and acrylic which are easier to work with (lazy or practical?) and use the strength of the fiberglass to take the loads. However for constant movement like in lans, it makes total sense to use a metal frame. Mine usually stay in one place.

What else can I say for an shining example of unique industrial design, with a curvy and swooping mod with one of the cleanest looks I have seen in my life. OH, and not squarish which most know I prefer to leave to case manufacturers. They have to make a living too.

A total hommage to craftsmanship for the lack of laser/water/cnc cuts which means that it will not be massed produced in the future. We all know that with the Autocad project done, thousands if not millions of parts can be made with machinery. However, like every great design, if millions were produced and sold, well there in no better way to acknowledge a modders prowess. Kudos and congrats!

Cheers and Saludos

• 2 weeks later...

Archived