USS EURISKO - Intrepid Mark II Class

ASPHIAX

Hello Everyone,

Allow me to introduce myself shortly. My name is ASPHIAX and I live in Boxtel (Netherlands). Just turned 33 and have been occupied with computers from the age of 17. (making noise - dont have another word for it - with fasttracker and fruityloops :glasses2: )

Started out wayback with an MSX and Commodore 64 and lately ventured into watercooling and have been HOOKED ON IT EVER SINCE!!!

What do I do when I am not thinking about modding: I am a business consultant at Belgacom and am designing VoIP and Unified Communications networks for the enterprise customers.

It all started about 6 months ago. After extensive reading on the fora I started out with my first watercooling project. A Dragonlord K62 with an XSPC 750H2O kit, couple of fans and an additional radiator. All good fun but it soon wasnt enough any more and I found myself cutting into my case with power tools and bending plexiglas with my wife's hairdryer. (which actually doesnt work, lol) I can post some pics of it, just a nice complete pc.

I needed something bigger ... One night I was cruising the web looking for something fun to build when the scifi channel caught my attention. It was the start tune of Star Trek Voyager ! The same second I was thrown 15 years back into time and saw myself (after a intense night of clubbing) watching Star Trek.

Knew it in a heart beat :cheers:

So here it is : the USS Eurisko , Intrepid Mark II Class

5v83lx.jpg

Technical Data :

Class: Intrepid Mark II

Type: Scientific exploration, general bad-:)

Crew: 141

Length: 344 meter

Hight: 66 meter

Width: 133 meter

Decks: 15

Holodecks: 2

Mass: 702.000 metrische ton

Max Speed: warp 9.975

Sustained Max Warp: Warp 9.985, 1 hour.

Cruisingspeed: warp 8

Cargo Holds: 4

Shuttle Platforms: 1

Armament: 8 Type X Phaser arrays,

4 Photon Torpedo Launchers (Stock 150)

After some serious digging on the web I found these designs. I just cant give enough credit to whoever made them (partly because i dont know :think: ) but: MAN isnt she pretty ...

I always found the original design form the serie a little to toy-like with all the markings and windows. This isnt! This is Rough, Industrial, Bad-azz !

Voyager-Angry --- Must kill Borg !!!

Man I'm itching to start this build ...

o0bgk1.jpg

I already did some work, so here are the first updates,

02.jpg?w=590&h=330

14xmcch.jpg

dsc05583.jpg

dsc05592.jpg

9.jpg?w=590&h=330

dsc05655-e1316709575805.jpg?w=590&h=1051

2jba5id.jpg

size.jpg?w=590&h=564

300y0dd.jpg

422633_377139705630053_490155077_n.jpg

2a7j3tf.jpg

20hu53m.jpg

11jcfo4.jpg

398017_361198093890881_1871470371_n.jpg

405845_361196943890996_1920446431_n.jpg

477447_439139929430030_317794407_o.jpg

Later !

ASPHIAX

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

This is my final post for the 2011 casemod contest. I have worked my @ss off trying to get it finished before the deadline but I have not succeded.

The EURISKO is at 90% complete and I estimate it will take aniother 4 to 6 weeks before I can finish it in total. (I have to rewrite all the programming for the lasers and servo array as I have switched platform to ARDUINO based) Also work on the exterior with the intricate detailling in depron plastic done by hand takes more time then anticipated but I do not want to compromise the quality after spending at least 300 hours already on it.

Well here are the latest pictures and the final movie, hope you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed building it !

YOUTUBE VIDEO :

Pictures :

2pu0sqh.jpg

2lj6nti.jpg

6r6iv5.jpg

a11u09.jpg

1gjhw1.jpg

x1avjp.jpg

21e21ia.jpg

Thansk for watching and please let me know if you like the result (even though its not finished yet!!!)

Best Regards and Happy Modding !

ASPHIAX

Ok, let me try to explain what I want to do in this build.

Its going to be watercooled thats for sure!

The warp nacelles on the wings (also called pylons) will be reservoirs

The hardware will fit in the front section underneath the "Canope"

The PSU, 2 HDD's and 1 SSD and the Pump will be housed in the body section (also called the deflector tunnel)

The hardware that will be used will be in a post that will follow shortly

It must be able to do a decent overclock

The Main deflector will house a green laser

The faser banks will be fitted with 2 red lasers

All the lasers and led's in the Warp Nacelles, Main deflector and canope will be controlled remotely by microcontrollers and IR transmitters

The fancontroller will be fitted in a LCARS display in the mount.

And the Warp Nacelles will be able to move up and down by a servo array controlled by IR transmitters !

Oh Yeah, did I mention the size ? Its going to be 154 cm long, 61 cm wide and 34~35 cm high.

There's tons more detail but i would like to refer to the build log or this will become a very long post :D

So here goes !

I first started out using MDF, but that was a bad idea !

The weight of the case would require me to build a elevator in my house to get it out for a LAN party!

Here are some pics of that work:

rbea9d.jpg

347fwgy.jpg

33ws2rp.jpg

w166af.jpg

So I had to scrap that Idea and started searching the web for an alternative !

Quickly found it! XPS foam !

25sy8o5.jpg

The Old and the NEW !!!

54svnq.jpg

And that's where the real story starts ...

Here are a couple of pics on the airflow .

Please note i am not a graphical designer, i do not have any 3d skill (Download Direct2Brain anyone?)

These are the "Dilithium Cooling Intake Manifolds" on the top, the bottom will have something similar. The HDD's will be mounted over the bottom intake manifolds so they will get some cooling also. The whole intake of air is also pushed over the motherboard by a large fan in the first support rib inside the casing.

2u76bv8.jpg

vx8rc.jpg

The only thing that is worrying me is the intake in the green circle. a few cm further i am pushing warm air out through 3 x 120MM fans. so there is a possibility of a fedback loop.

Laterz

ASPHIAX

Ok here is the first recap of the weekend

My wife is watching Idols or the voice of holland or some crap like that so time for me to do some damage :twisted: !

Restarted the whole build, this time I used styropor foam (also called roofmate)

25sy8o5.jpg

The Old and The New

54svnq.jpg

I am fixing everything temporarily with sateh spikes (normally used for the barbecue)

20zv9f7.jpg

Did all the rough work with a powertool

14dm5xv.jpg

For the finer work i bought a styropor cutter. Just a piece of metal wire with 2 AA batteries. Unfortunately it was to fine ...

aadn36.jpg

Man what a job !!! :shock:

There were some times where i really though i was going to quit and forget modding forgood...

The rough work SUCKS !!!!!!!!!

w1eexl.jpg

Slowly it is taking shape

2jcx3kw.jpg

309ocvk.jpg

11jyulf.jpg

After the rough work it is a matter of taking a breadknife and peeling the foam off. Even though it looks annoying, this is the better part of the forming of the model. She's taking shape in front of your eyes and you can get some decent detail in there.

20pzcic.jpg

The gypsum sanding paper (metal paper with little holes to let the gypsum escape) is degrading fast. There is some fight in this piece of foam

29nwdg2.jpg

rartvm.jpg

My wife was intensely happy with me !!!

1692nba.jpg

Placed the old deflector tunnel to get an idea of the model.

33xwhzk.jpg

szzdvm.jpg

Quickly placed the tail to see how long its gonna be. 1,54 meters is quite a stretch!

Oh yeah, the black circles are area''s i need to attack with the breadknife

2rwkm5z.jpg

Trimming her piece by piece. Tried all sorts of knives, the breadknife still reigns

2yw8lu9.jpg

2127t6w.jpg

Without noticing it, you tend to trim off quite a bit

23mvvwn.jpg

I took some tape and started to place the drawing of the armor plating. Tomorrow i will start cutting away at the deep pieces making sure the drawing will get the proper depth.

4jl01u.jpg

Laterz

ASPHIAX

Ok here is another recap

Got up really early in the morning to make some filler

29kz4fk.jpg

I had to make sure with this type of foam to use a cellulose based filler or it would reduce the model to blubber

bejpv.jpg

Sorry for the Dutch Guys, it says cellulose based

Nice and smooth

2zxovw0.jpg

I was not happy with the lines of the drawing of the model so i took out the tape and started anew...

2sbk677.jpg

The result !

14l7gw9.jpg

6y0bat.jpg

Ok, what i wanted to do is to make room for the hex mesh and the "DCIM" air intake holes.

What I did is I took a stanly knife and I cut out the drawing and with a pointed plyer "plucked" out the foam. This works fast and you can get good accuracy.

219xie9.jpg

HMMM : POPCORN !!!

5mb6v6.jpg

Does not take to much time also

1zvs95g.jpg

Finishing it off with a dremel on turbo setting. This also closes the foam (due to the heat) so the epoxy/fiber coat will not get into the model (well that's the theory behind it anyway :) )

2dhek3a.jpg

DCIM and large depth of armor finished

2rz5b4k.jpg

Both sides finished. I found out that by making a lesser deep cut into the foam with the stanley knife, you would automatically "pluck" less foam and could easily alter the depth.

sx1z09.jpg

so this side with the armor to dcim barrier already completed

200ad7t.jpg

DO you feel lucky... punk ?

2exx2rk.jpg

Quickly placed the old deflector tunnel to get a better view of the model

2yp12rd.jpg

Also did the amor plating rims

2hxbxnn.jpg

BAD-:) !!!

2nqu1hz.jpg

Not completely happy with the symmetry but its getting along nicely

9ats7a.jpg

Sometimes i tend to forget i need to build a complete watercooled pc in there aswell :D

Here is a view with an extremely simple filter but it is kinda like what i want to do

2dgoqj5.jpg

Laters

ASPHIAX

Here is some more background to the design

Oh no , the borg have taken over the ship !

Need to swap out the green enermax for a blue one.

14m6qky.jpg

Here is an overview of the placing of the hardware

fabrfb.jpg

later

ASPHIAX

Was able to squeeze another couple of hours : how to be creative with foam !

Started work on the deflector tunnel

219sy7n.jpg

For some reason i was craving for a good kebab...

30bhiqh.jpg

Shaping

35lw9oj.jpg

90pmi0.jpg

HOMER SIMPSON : HMMMM KEBAB !!!

2howvlw.jpg

mwwcvb.jpg

Ok, a little flash forward, all that cutting ...

Quickly made a couple of pieces of foam for the pylon and warp nacelle

n4i6ig.jpg

24lv3o8.jpg

To compare: Nacelles down

xmmpfn.jpg

To Compare : Nacelles up

2cdwt91.jpg

2akmbtk.jpg

2z7kdqe.jpg

2mnrrcj.jpg

And the final state for today

263wzfr.jpg