Guerilla Scout

rikaldrey

Hi everyone! This will be my first mod ever, let alone using any power tools. As I go through the entire project, I will be learning how to use a variety of tools and techniques regarding modding and building.

Initially, my project was just to watercool the case internally. Cut a few holes here and there, drill some. Basic stuff, plain and simple. I saw this ad on Bit-tech so why not ditch the watercooling and join the fun!

So I bought a Dremel and some other tools! I disassembled the case 2 weeks ago, watched a few modding guides. The plan is stuck in my head, I don't know how to use any modelling software, or even photoshop.

Although I tried MS Paint. The plan is simple, I am going to re-orient the motherboard tray so that the panel is facing upwards just below the handle. Remove some of the unused drive bays, since I'm not gonna be using

more than 2 hdd's and 1 optical. Maybe a room for a future ssd, but that can be mounted anywhere. So let's begin.

I'll be using this CM Storm Scout which I bought and used almost two years ago.

140920091157.jpg

140920091158.jpg

140920091153.jpg

And the system:

140920091152.jpg

140920091164.jpg

Before disassembly:

140920091177.jpg

220920091259.jpg

Update April 5:

260320112282.jpg

260320112286.jpg

260320112289.jpg

270320112304.jpg

010420112305.jpg

040420112306.jpg

040420112309.jpg

Haha.. It's ok for you guys, you know your tools and the techniques. While me on the other hand, have to resort on what you post! :D

Just wanna have fun in here, not really for the price. I'll try my best though. Hope you guys help me on stuff. :roll:

I cut the motherboard tray inbetween the last pci bracket and the psu support.

040420112309-1.jpg

Finished cutting the back panel and fitted it back with masking tapes. Even though most of the surface have been removed from the back it still feels sturdy.

For the exhaust I will have to resort with 2 80/90mm fans, if there is any available, as there isn't enough space for a 120. Well, it will but angled at 45.

The placement of the back panel is not final yet, I have to take into account the handles. I don't want the dvi cables dangling on top of the handles. If I find

a way to lower it a bit then it'll be moved 2.5-3 inches further down.

070420112311.jpg

I'm still considering of making the motherboard tray removable, but there won't be any place for the screws. It might overlap with the side panels.

Also, I'm thinking of a good way for a support bracket at the bottom part of the motherboard tray as I it might put too much tension on the top part.

070420112314.jpg

070420112317.jpg

The optical drive bays will obviously obstruct the motherboard, I'm gonna omit it anyway. Or if can move it toward the front bezel? The problem would be the tool-less mechanism

will be unusable, pointless to salvage this part or I can just improvise two 5 1/4 bays, maybe for fan control or a bay reservoir. Don't wanna buy a slim drive as I don't use any discs.

Also, I will have to downsize the hdd bays. Like 2-3 hdd's perhaps. As don't really keep that much data around, as I only play 2-3 steam games atm. Haven't ventured into RAIDs yet. :(

070420112319.jpg

Objectives:

1. Support bracket for top I/O panel

2. Bracket for motherboard tray

3. Removable motherboard tray mechanisms

4. Downsize optical and hdd bays

5. PSU mount on the front panel, as well as the support for it.

6. Vent holes for PSU and bottom radiator. (With support for 120/140 rads)

6. Modify front bezel to make space for the relocated optical drive bays.

I'm off to buy some hand files. To all fellow modders and enthusiasts, I will gladly accept any suggestions or tips. Also, what thickness of aluminum is suitable for support brackets?

Thank you guys! Happy modding!

This mod has been haunting me for the past few nights. I couldn't sleep properly. I'm been having different ideas storming my mind, I can't even hug my wife anymore! This is bad! Lol.

Seriously, I've got some sketches done. But when I'm in front of the case, I lose the confidence or maybe the guts. Questions like "will this support well?", "what thickness of aluminium sheet should it be?",

"Screws or rivets?", "Size of screws?", etc. a lot! :?

Archived