Battlefield 2: Vietnam, Case Mod Category.... FINISHED!!!!!!

NIXFIX

Hey All,

Hi from Australia!

Stoked to have a crack at this comp, I hope to learn some valuable insight and tips from this event, and from what I have seen so far the quality of the entries is AWESOME!!

OK, the concept;

Based on the new Battlefield: Bad Company 3 being released, we have decided to go with a Battlefield Bad Company 2: Vietnam Themed Case.

Based off a CM-690 V1.0 Case, we will attempt to simulate a Allied (US/AUS) Ammunition Box, however inside the case will be a “care package†bomb, with a water cooling system to simulate a Napalm Bomb and C4 demolition system.

Here are a few photos of what I have so far (parts finally started arriving yesterday)

The Case;

th_IMG_0363.jpg

th_IMG_0364.jpg

Mod Parts;

th_IMG_0362.jpg

The Donor Machine Volunteering its parts for the build;

775 Motherboard, Intel Chip TBA, 4Gb DDR3 RAM etc, etc. etc.

th_IMG_0361.jpg

Well thats it for the moment, let me know what you think or if you have any questions, just ask away!

Cheers,

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

Hey All!,

Apologies for my lack of involvement up to this current point, I have been undertaking other more pressing projects, however, I now have a shop in my local town and the space to start making some serious progress on this.... :mrgreen:

I had the opportunity to purchase a signal flare box which is the same as a 50cal munitions box so have this now and will be basing as much as i can off this product, amazingly, this box, its hinges, snap fastener and quick release work like the day it was made, it is an awesome piece of gear!, I have begun dis assembly of the case and made some markings for cutting, have got the mule that is loading all the software and hardware configurations doing its thing, i hadn't let this cat out of the bag, but I will be utilizing a 32Gb CF Card as the primary hdd for this machine as to keep this case as open and as clean as possible. Have still been hampered by couriers and parts availability but i will do the very best i can with what i currently have available to me.

I will be replacing the mesh components with flat plate to fill things in a bit to simulate the ammo box structure, i will be attempting a wind tunnel idea for the radiator for the WC system.

Also i have had a dabble with overclocking as this machine is no mean beast (i may consider purchasing new hardware if i think it really isn't adequate, but i'm more looking at this comp as the theme of the case rather than how well the machine bench tests.... never the less i have now got a 3.0Ghz, to a 4.2 and it seems stable but cooling is an issue, and once i have the wc system fully operational i hope to rectify this, so it is back to standard for the moment, but i know the recipe to juice it back up....

:twisted::twisted: POLL: what do you think all, keep the 775 gear or upgrade to 1155/56 or 1366 gear??? :twisted::twisted:

here are a few pics of the current state of things (nothing spectacular but something never the less).

the real deal box next to the case

th_IMG_0422.jpg

the CF Card getting its operating system

th_IMG_0418.jpg

A couple of vandal resistant illuminated switches, to activate the LED's inside the box

th_IMG_0421.jpg

mesh now removed

th_IMG_0425.jpg

ok, well i will chronologically update this with the photos, i'm shocking at getting this updated.... :drunken:

Here we go;

Filling in the old power button and reset buttons on the front of the case;

th_IMG_0453.jpg

Finished, sanded and ready for paint;

th_IMG_0456.jpg

Now the mesh has been replaced with solid flat tin, this has just been folded to the same dimensions as the mesh;

th_IMG_0455.jpg

Chasis ready for paint;

th_IMG_0459.jpg

Chasis etch primed;

th_IMG_0460.jpg

The chasis has been painted in Silver Hamertone paint, as to give it a weathered look;

th_IMG_0462.jpg

Case is being painted, and honestly it is looking rather boring in the ol' OD Green, so i have now started to find some accents and paraphernalia to put on it. I have come across the Ace of Spades and other symbols that were used, so i will be adding them to the case.

I have used the ace of spades but have chucked a skull in there for good measure.

th_IMG_0474.jpg

th_IMG_0476.jpg

This is the grill from the side panel, i think it looks rather good;

th_IMG_0477.jpg

Ok, i will update this again this afternoon as i will be ducking to the shop to keep going......

Cheers,

Nick

OK, another update on progress;

Second crack at painting the side panels, somehow the primer didn't stick and the paint just flaked off everywhere.

th_IMG_0491.jpg

Clear fluid in the system, testing for leaks, only found one which was an easy fix;

th_IMG_0494.jpg

Coloured fluid added (600mls Clear + 100mls of RED + Orange UV Dye Bomb)

th_IMG_0495.jpg

Have had a few hold ups along the way, power supply seems to be on the way out and as i have opened it up the warranty is voided (typical), 1 of the rope light control boxes is shagged, so I will be buying another one of them on monday as i can't wait for a warranty replacement.

will be getting the power switches all wired up tonight to place on the case and then it will be a few stickers here and there a bit more painting and it should be good to go....

OK, we are getting very close to a finished product...

9" Dowel + Shiny Paper + Rope + Wire + Internet = Dynamite!!!! Muah ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!

th_IMG_0498.jpg

Viewing window has now been reinstalled, with rivets, and so has the grill all painted up, the rivets on the grill have been intentionally left bare metal as to break up the colour.

th_IMG_0507.jpg

Trial fit of the panels and to start on the painting of the markings for the case.

th_IMG_0508.jpg

Stenciling all the wording

th_IMG_0510.jpg

OK it is done, a few things haven't gone to plan but never the less i am stoked with the result!!!!

let me know what you all think and if you have any questions, fire away....

post-66773-13880423947897_thumb.jpg

post-66773-13880423948261_thumb.jpg

post-66773-13880423948521_thumb.jpg

post-66773-13880423948785_thumb.jpg

Delivery is delayed to these recipients or groups:

'Wayne_Hsieh è¬åœ‹å‰ (訊凱)' (WAYNE_HSIEH@coolermaster.com.tw)

Subject: RE: Final Reminder for Cooler Master Case Mod Competition

This message hasn't been delivered yet. Delivery will continue to be attempted.

The server will keep trying to deliver this message for the next 1 days, 19 hours and 58 minutes. You'll be notified if the message can't be delivered by that time.

this is what has happened, i sent my final submitted product about 8 Hours ago. so just so that people/judges know that was on time with my final submission......

• 2 weeks later...

The final pics are not clickable to see detail (higher resolution), something happened. You might think of not using thumbnails the next time, maybe 800 x 600 clickable to hd for those interested in something done for a more seamless viewing experience. No automatic resizing like in some forums.

Nice and tight carrying out of the BF theme, kudos! I thought the 2 sticks of dynamite inside were a BANG! And yes, the level is for the créme de la créme (awesome) for the most part with some gutsy guys showing of their wares too. Just one level as you know, so it is not the typical competition although anyone can enter. So best of luck! I too am "down under" (Mexico), well from the States, not waaayyy down under like you, hehe. Great job, mate!

Cheers and Saludos

Archived