Project: Blacked Out & Blue 690-II

SPARC_PWR

Welcome to my entry into this years Case Mod Competition. I'll try to keep this thread as up to date as possible, and although a lot of the work has been completed...there's still a lot to be done and things that will change in the next month. Don't hesitate to ask any questions and feel free to post up any comments.

Case Used:

Cooler Master 690-II Advanced

Gear Used:

- AMD Athlon II X4 640 (Propus)

- MSI 890FXA-GD65

- ADATA Gamer Series DDR3 1600MHz (4GB)

- HIS / VisionTek / Sapphire HD 6950

- Western Digital 500GB HDD

- Antec TruePower New 650W PSU

Cooling Equipment:

- XSPC RS240 Radiator

- EK Supreme LT CPU Block

- XSPC H2O 750 Pump / Res Combo

- Xigmatek 120MM / 140MM XLF Fans

- Primochill 1/2" ID Tubing

- Bitspower Matte Black Compression Fittings

Plan:

The main plan is to keep this build nice and smooth looking by utilizing the already sleek look of the CM 690-II. As I've gotten older, I've gotten away from flashy cases with lots of lights and do-dads and prefer to have a sleek looking machine that reminds you more of a exotic sports car than a "pimp-my-ride" car. I going to use three colors for this build...black, blue, and white. The white will used sparingly because I don't want it to attract all of the attention.

Progress:

I started out by stripping the case and preparing it for the water cooling gear. I'm using blue Xigmatek XLF fans in the entire case. There will be a 140MM in the front, a 120MM in the rear, and 2 120MM fans cooling the top mounted RS240 radiator. Here is a progress shot of the fans getting installed.

5587435870_9de007fa63_z.jpg

Next, I decided to move on to the outside of the case and add in the white accents I spoke about earlier. After stripping the top and front from the mesh, chrome strips, and everything else I laid down a couple of coats of gloss white paint on the "pillars" as some people call them. They haven't been cleared yet, but they look pretty nice.

5586842257_8390f2d12a_z.jpg

Then I built a false floor from 22ga aluminum and painted it a nice matte black to match the factory interior. At this point I was waiting on my motherboard to arrive so I threw a few things together, installed the window in the side panel, and put the system together for a trial run of how it was looking up to this point.

5593622714_455c291836_z.jpg

I still have quite a bit to do. I have to paint more white accent pieces and install my new motherboard (890FXA-GD65) along with the new power supply and video card. I'm also looking at adding a bit more aluminum to help smooth the interior out, but we'll see how my time goes. My wife is 2.5 months pregnant so my time is limited for projects like this, but that's okay :)

Thanks for looking and stay tuned for updates

• 4 weeks later...

Wow...I have not forgotten about this case mod and everything is still alive and kicking. I guess I need to get off my butt and upload some pics. This mod has been through some major changes and it's coming to come down to the wire to be completed by the 15th.

Changes

- New Name...Arctic Assault

- Switched from AMD X6 setup to Intel Sandy Bridge

- Incorporated a digital camo theme

- Added more H2O gear from HWLabs and EK

I'll take pics as the final assembly begins this week. Everything is in pieces but it will start coming together now :)

Archived