Valkyrie (Scratch Build) Updated: 13May2011

ArkAngel

Hi,

image1.jpg

I'm starting my worklog for the Cooler Master 2011 case mod competition. I've been working on it for about a month or so since knowing about the competition.

Anyway, perhaps a small introduction first? I'm from Singapore and this is my first scratch build case. Here's a link to my previous mod

Angel

I did a lot of fabrication previously and it sure was very tedious~! Some of the central theme of this build include

• [*:3jfgletj] Mini ITX form factor
    [*:3jfgletj] Full size PSU (up to 170mm depth)
    [*:3jfgletj] Full size GFX card (up to 320mm length)
    [*:3jfgletj] 2 x 140mm air intakes (filtered)
    [*:3jfgletj] Flexibility to use and material
    [*:3jfgletj] Lightweight!
    [*:3jfgletj] Slim optical drive (slot load)
    [*:3jfgletj] 3 x HDD space (3.5 and 2.5 inch types)

As mentioned, I won't be doing a lot of the fabrication this time, instead I'll be focusing on the design. So how does it get made?

3D printing! I'm getting most of the parts made by what I called the Internet Factory. I send out designs that are separately made by various people from the Internet. If you think about it, it's almost like Ponoko except maybe a lot cheaper. The idea is also allow the use of radically different material from conventional cases. It will be made of out mostly plastics!

Enough of words. Here are some pictures of my initial design idea.

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

Example of transparent acrylic used.

image4.jpg

More exotic materials!

image5.jpg

image6.jpg

image8.jpg

Finally a layout sketch.

layout.jpg

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Finally an update!

Firstly, I gotta apologise for the delay. I've been really busy trying to finish up the CAD designs that there was simply no time to organise pictures to be posted.

Anyway, I'm finally about 95% done with the drawings. Here is the final design!

image9.jpg

image10.jpg

image13.jpg

There was a lot of effort being made to ensure that the drawings are accurate and matches up perfectly.

image11.jpg

I ran into some problems with small alignments issue. Even though they were off by less than a millimeter, I made sure I correct them.

image12.jpg

And to conclude this update, I've received my first printed parts!! This is one of the part.

image16.jpg

This is the printed part!!

image14.jpg

image15.jpg

Thanks for viewing. :) Some replies/comments please?

Wow, it's amazing what can be done with these printers. Is this plastic is resistant?

Thanks! I'm using Shapeways for printing, the material is supposed to be Nylon which is very tough. :)

Anyway, some updates! I'm in the process of waiting for parts to be fabricated. Meanwhile, I'm doing some of my own fabrication.

Because the case is rather unique, I couldn't find any suitable IO panel. So I'm making my own. I took a long time to source for the power button. It's a tactile button that has an LED. The LED will serve as a HDD activity LED.

Some close up look of the assembly.

image17.jpg

image18.jpg

This is the part of the case that will house the IO panel.

image19.jpg

Finally, a simple test/demo of the HDD LED using my current rig. It's really bright! :)

Even more parts! This is the last batch of parts to arrive.

Brass inserts for motherboard standoffs and 6mm standoffs.

image37.jpg

I'm using all stainless steel 3mm bolt socket head screws.

image38.jpg

image39.jpg

And these... DA laser cut parts!

image40.jpgimage41.jpg

image42.jpg

Finally I'll be able to do final assembly.

Wish me luck!

Assembly pictures!

This is a material called Transparent detail. I find the lines a bit disturbing. But for this case, it makes for a rather interesting texture. Also I think it'll diffuse the back light well.

image44.jpg

image45.jpg

Using this glue. Brilliant stuff.

image43.jpg

LED module from Sparkfun.

image46.jpg

Attached!

image47.jpg

IO panel I posted earlier attached. :)

image48.jpg

image49.jpg

Some of the other sub-assemblies.

image50.jpg

image51.jpg

Installing the brass inserts was nerve-racking. The only way to get it in was to push hard and all the while I was thinking I'm gonna crack the plastic.

image52.jpg

image53.jpg

image54.jpg

That's all for now.:D

Archived