Mondrian [Scratch Build]

Jeffrey Stephenson

Piet Mondrian (1872-1944) was an influential Dutch abstract painter who worked with simple lines, right angles, geometric figures and primary colors. This scratch built computer case is my tribute to his art.

For the record, this work was accomplished between April 9th and May 21st, 2012. I have never published an official project log until now.

Final Photos:

077.jpg

078.jpg

079.jpg

080.jpg

076.jpg

Official Web Page

Boing Boing article

Kotaku article

Mashable's Top 10 Tech this Week

Specs:

Intel Core i3-2105 CPU

Intel HD3000 Graphics

Crucial 256GB M4 SSD

8GB Crucial DDR3 system memory

120W mini-box.com PicoPSU

Scythe Kozuti CPU Heatsink/Fan

Work Log:

001.jpg

Building a frame for the I/O shield.

002.jpg

004.jpg

Mini-ITX motherboard with Scythe Kozuti heatsink. The CPU fan is located below the fins where it pulls air in through the fins/heatpipes.

006.jpg

This is my panel cutting setup. A fixed fence, a floating fence and an X-acto razer saw.

007.jpg

Locate and install the motherboard standoffs. I'm using aircraft grade birch plywood.

008.jpg

Mark and cut-out the hole for the CPU heatsink.

010.jpg

011.jpg

009.jpg

013.jpg

Cut the second panel to the exact same dimensions and do a test fit. This design allows cool external air to be drawn into the case through the heatsink making overheating nearly impossible.

022.jpg

019.jpg

Building the corner supports. These supports also function as spacers for the edge vents.

020.jpg

014.jpg

017.jpg

016.jpg

015.jpg

Dry-fitting my edge vent system.

018.jpg

098.jpg

Dry fitting the back panel components.

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

Hot internal air escapes through the edge vents without the use of a fan.

Thanks for looking!

026.jpg

Drew out the Mondrian-styled pattern on a full-sized side panel mock-up. Assigned colors to each block based on my analysis of the artist's past work.

027.jpg

Created a matrix based on the above design. At this point, all the lines are equal width. This will change later to four different line widths.

005.jpg

I bought numerous cast acrylic samples from TAP Plastics. These come in 4" squares and are very cheap because they are supposed to be samples and not actual final product. Here are the four primary colors that Mondrian-inspired designs are known for.

028.jpg

The large central red piece is exactly 4" square and doesn't require cutting. This square corresponds with the exposed heatsink on the other side which also happens to be 4" square.

029.jpg

This is my acrylic tile cutting set-up.

030.jpg

Cut various sized tiles to fit and kept the protective paper on as long as possible to prevent scratching of the acrylic.

038.jpg

Painted the matrix, interior and edge vents flat black.

039.jpg

040.jpg

031.jpg

Peeled some protective paper back. These tiles are all friction fit at the moment.

032.jpg

033.jpg

034.jpg

035.jpg

036.jpg

037.jpg

041.jpg

Did the same thing for the other side using a slightly different color combination.

042.jpg

043.jpg

044.jpg

045.jpg

048.jpg

Dry fit everything together to check the progress.

049.jpg

Thanks for looking!

055.jpg

Between-coat sanding of the flat black paint.

050.jpg

At this point I widened some of the lines by shimming them.

051.jpg

052.jpg

Cut sections out of the edge vent to make room for the front-mounted USB ports. Added small pieces of wood to frame the ports.

053.jpg

054.jpg

056.jpg

Fresh coat of flat black makes it easier to see the four different line widths in the matrix.

057.jpg

058.jpg

060.jpg

Pieces cut for the 256GB Crucial M4 SSD mount.

061.jpg

062.jpg

Components cut for the footer. From left...birch plywood, solid red oak and three pieces of basswood. The basswood is three different thicknesses so when glued together they form the perfect thickness required for the job.

063.jpg

064.jpg

065.jpg

066.jpg

The center part is made out of solid red oak because it is a stressed component that supports the weight of the system.

067.jpg

068.jpg

The end result is a floating effect. This footer design also allows for some airflow through the bottom of the case.

069.jpg

070.jpg

Built a support for the power switch.

071.jpg

072.jpg

Built a cover plate for the front USB ports.

073.jpg

074.jpg

These two parts installed and a final coat of paint.

075.jpg

Thanks for looking!

cool case mod & tribute, nice job :D

like the other mods you have done also

Thanks frozensnail. I appreciate that.

---------------------------------------------------------------

When this contest first started I thought I was required to have a Cooler Master product in my contest entry. I bought a CM 80mm fan (retail package)to replace the Scythe CPU heatsink fan.

fan.jpg

I'm still not exactly sure if it is required but I already own it so I installed it. Mondrian officially contains a CM part. :D

Archived