[Scratch case] Project Duplex COMPLETED

Alexander Hede

Hi,

So this is my new Project for the Cooler Master mod competiton. I still have a bit to design but will start fabricating soon.

It's called Project Duplex and will be a two faced case.
-On one side the motherboard, on the otherside a GPU and ssd's.
-Two seperate loops with a 240radiator each.
- WIll be made out of aluminum and acrylic

Fabricating will start soon!

f1.jpg

f2.jpg

Ace

post-90080-13880426620072_thumb.jpg

post-90080-13880426620826_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally an update! Was a lot harder to get the profile than i thought. Living in the country side has its drawbacks :)

The profile, Ordered 2mm thick profile but when i got it it was only 1,5mm. Oh well, would have been nice with 2mm for threading but 1,5mm will be enough.... i hope.

a1_zps0816110b.jpg

after cutting all the profiles with a hand saw and I milled them to the right angle and size.

a2_zps8002ca7c.jpg

De burring all the edges

a3_zpsf7436b05.jpg

All profiles except one

a4_zpsa57f58c0.jpg

Welding it all together. Was too optimistic with the welding. I did not think it would warp as much as it did. All in all it was only a mm or 2 off but due to so many angles and lengths it looked so crooked I did not wanna use it.

a6_zpsaa8c5579.jpg

Plan B: Cut off all the legs, straighten out one leg that was a bit warped. The rest were fine. Then mill all of the legs at once to make sure they are all the same length and straighta8_zps4149d551.jpg

Decided instead of welding i would make inserts to bolt into the profile and into the base and top. This way it's easier to keep straight and also a lot easier when its time to paint. Should have thought about this before

a9_zpsb196687d.jpg

Tapping the inserts

a10_zpsfd0e3f6e.jpg

a11_zps90b22dee.jpg

All done. Still need to clean up to get it looking really nice but will leave that until its time to paint

a13_zpsee818b7c.jpg

The base

a14_zpsd67813bf.jpg

Made a 2mm sheet and pressed it inside the profile, welded it and after milled it straight. If i can get another profile i might make a 45 degree cut instead. Would look a lot nicer.

a15_zpscba40c1a.jpg

Time for some sheet metal work. Sticking with 2mm aluminum. Don't know what this is called but it is very useful.

a18_zpscbda8631.jpg

a17_zps9d7393d1.jpg

The panel is divided into 3 pieces for now while i work with the pieces. I might weld them together at a later stage. Still need to drill a lot of holes and cut some openings in them.

a19_zps39843351.jpg

Drilled and getting ready to tap

a20_zpsfe458e7e.jpg

a21_zps9fb1f89a.jpg

Had to try a mobo on it. Case looks huge and it is a bit big but u think it will shrink a bit once i start adding things to it

a22_zps1f25a648.jpg

More updates coming soon!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Finally an update!

Recently bought a house and have been moving things (mostly to the garage) so now i can start modding more and close to home so updates should be more frequent now

After thinking a while about the front and the back panel i decided the best way would be to have them water cut, i have countless times milled thin aluminum sheet and it usually ends with the flute snapping. Still need to cut a lot of holes in the back panel for all the connectors but i will do that at a later stage2_zps69a299da.jpg

1_zpsd1a842c5.jpg

One step forward two steps back, or however the saying goes. I wasn't very happy about the shape of the frame and the quality of the work i had put in it so i sat down and re-drew the frame and decided it was time for plan C. This time it is made from a 10mm aluminum sheet, it's 15mm wide. I changed the angles a bit and shortened it a bit length and depth wise, the width it still the same

3_zpsab465c89.jpg

Time to drill some holes

4_zpsd7c38a0c.jpg

One drilled, one to go, hopefully it fits!

5_zps762fb1d6.jpg

Time for some threading, i always use the cordless drill to tap with, so far i have never snapped a bit with it and its so much faster.

6_zps121610cc.jpg

Had to change the "shape" of the mill so i could drill and tap the support bars

7_zps3f5b612f.jpg

The support bars

8_zps86a78f66.jpg

Done

9_zpsf410d6b7.jpg

Seems like it fits!

10_zps77fed504.jpg

So much better than the other frame, a lot of work but now i like it and it won't bug me anymore.

11_zps0f981de0.jpg

Bottom plate for the frame, drilled and counter sunk

12_zps2989ccbd.jpg

13_zps8012cba4.jpg

Perfect fit except one hole which i need to file a bit.

15_zps8debed8e.jpg

16_zps3d0b7631.jpg

Old vs new, i don't know what you guys think but i like the new one a lot more

17_zpsdf54f6af.jpg

New part arrived!

18_zpsdf5723f7.jpg

Another box in the box

19_zps52bc87d3.jpg

Everything is very well packed

20_zps1546cfd5.jpg

Lots of cables with it, needs some sleeving though

21_zpsd182abb7.jpg

Love the brushed steel look on the top of it

22_zps132ee195.jpg

23_zpsef73c4ff.jpg

24_zps45b64de6.jpg

Scale photo

25_zps8d0d8283.jpg

More updates coming soon!

• 7 months later...

Hey guys!

Finally all moved in to the new house and got internet up and running again.

Just a short update but another one hopefully this weekend.
Milling the motherboard plate and the Gpu plate. Only milling the shape for now and doing all the holes and cutout later.
1.jpg

More milling and drilling, these are for the other panels on the side.
2.jpg

All slots cut out
3.jpg
As i haven't had any access to the press break for a while I started looking for an "affordable" sheet bender, but the quality on them are horrible. So i decided to take a different approach to bending the sheets.

60 degree V-flute, 1mm in the bottom
4.jpg

Milled a 1mm deep slot in both panels
5.jpg

Clamped it to the desk with the slot facing upwards
6.jpg

Put a small flat bar across the sheet so i would bend it equally everywhere
7.jpg

Worked a lot better than i thought it would.
8.jpg

Test fit of the panels. Had to try the grommet too to see if i made the hole the right size
9.jpg

More panels.
10.jpg

Also made a cut out for the motherboard in HDF, It's a lot faster and easier to redo if i have some measurements wrong
11.jpg
That is all for now, hopefully another update over the weekend!

Back with an update, was supposed to be a bit earlier but have been sick so haven't had much time. Anyways...

Did the motherboard and GPU side in aluminum

12.jpg

13.jpg

Test fit of components

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

Made some covers for SSD's so the cables will be hidden. No pictures of the installed yet but there will be soon enough

17.jpg

Same for the Pci-e extension cable

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

Made a sheet for holding the rads and fans. Decided to make it in two separate pieces, one for each rad.

21.jpg

A bit of bending

22.jpg

Test fit

23.jpg

Time for some acrylic. This is for the front panel. Was a bit tricky before i figured out how to make it in two runs. Milled some holes and put some centering axles in it. worked out pretty well.

24.jpg

Installed. Made it slightly bigger so i can sand it to the right size. Still need to do the rear and top and bottom. Still not sure if it will be painted or led lit. But i will need to decide very soon.

25.jpg

That's it for this time

As you can see i have some new parts. Will do some unboxing as soon as i can get it set up.

Almost blushing Thx Buddy!

Been crazy busy trying to get as much done as possible. The Cooler Master mod contest ends on the 31st so i am freaking out a bit right now

have had a lot of parts lying around for a while now but thought it was time to upload some photos.

Ever since i saw the Maximus Vi Formula i knew this was the board for my next computer. I generally don't like "naked" pcb's so this is perfect for me!

26.jpg

27.jpg

A lot of accessories. 

28.jpg

Just sexy, great color scheme and as a bonus its ready to be water cooled!

29.jpg

Even has a backplate, this just keeps getting better and better!

30.jpg

Next up GPU, decided on a GTX 780 since i seem to have no time for gaming anymore. Still there is nice to have some power when i need it.

31.jpg

Even the inner box looks great

32.jpg

Awesome, almost a shame to water cool this.

33.jpg

Great looking backplate, won't be seen though due to the way it will be mounted.

34.jpg

Have always wanted an I7 since i do use Solidworks quite a lot. Never could justify to buy one. This time i just bought it and didn't think about the cost

35.jpg

I had 16Gb of platinum ram from before. Bought another pack just for the looks. Won't really need 32gb but it does make the case look better. And some light bars.

36.jpg

For some reason the old ones does not look like the new ones. The old ones still have milling marks and are slightly shiny. The new ones looks like they have been blasted with some media. Lucky i bought the light bars.

37.jpg

So on to the case

Made some fixtures to hold the reservoirs in place. Took a while before i figured out how to do it.

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

The circle pattern didn't really fit the shape of the case so i decided to make my own front. Not sure if i will sand it down to make it a bit more matte. Still need to countersink all the holes.

41.jpg

Lowered the led strips into the acrylic. Since the sheet aluminum is lowered 2mm from the other side and the leds need about 2.4mm depth there is only 1,6 mm left of material in the middle. Was a bit worried that the light wouldn't

spread out to the edges but seems to be working just fine. Won't show you that just yet.

42.jpg

43.jpg

Made some adapters for the lamptron controllers so it will attach to the sheet metal. 

44.jpg

This is how its now, still a lot to do and not much time left but all the acrylic and sheet metal is sanded down now and fits great.

45.jpg

46.jpg

And a bit of bonus content,

obviously it won't fit in the computer but i do have a different plan once the case is done.

47.jpg

Great looking piece!

48.jpg

49.jpg

50.jpg

Will add more photos of it once i get it up and running, will be a bit later as i need to focus on the computer right now

Next update soon!

Thx guys! I am sending in final photos now!

Quick update before the competition ends!

Got all bit painted so started assembling pieces

Frame

51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

Pumps and psu support

54.jpg

Lamptron controllers, had these from the old rig so was easy to make new mounts for it.

55.jpg

56.jpg

GTX 780 

57.jpg

58.jpg

Test fit

59.jpg

60.jpg

61.jpg

62.jpg

Final photos in a few min!

Archived