[Tower Mod] Haf X H2O 'Fire & Ice' - Completed

Adrian Hipkiss

Hi Everyone. This is my 1st case mod I've done. Had the haf x and components for about a year running on air. Decided last month to finally take the step of doing my first water cooled system with a few other mods here and there . Hope you like what I've done so far, any comments or advice would be welcome :D

Components Pre water cooled :

Haf X

Asus P8 Z77-V Pro

Asus ENGTX560 Ti DCII

Intel i7 3770k

8gb 1866mhz DDR3

2x Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gbps 64MB

Mods to do list :

Power and fan cable sleeving

Add water cooling

Some paint work

Here's the starting point :-

AirCool-00_zpsc6bb8b8e.jpg

Inside Case

AirCool-01_zpsc1d59605.jpg

Front

AirCool-02_zps4e2bdf3c.jpg

Powered up inside case

Cable Modders - Braiding UV Red 4mm and 2.5mm :-

Cablemod-01_zps5b223829.jpg

Cablemod-02_zps2a677148.jpg

Cablemod-03_zpsbce7b8a3.jpg

Some Cable Mods installed -

AirCooledMod-01_zps962ddcbe.jpg

AirCooledMod-02_zpsd39c6037.jpg

More pic's to follow :D

Watercooling loop has been installed ..but there has been a delay in a delivery of my Fans & Fan controller :( .... Hopefully they will arrive by Monday (Fingers crossed)

Water Cooling Kit

WaterCoolingKit_zps2962904a.jpg

Xspc Raystorm Twin D5 Ax360 Water cooling kit - went for this kit after a lot of research on rad thickness, performance and fan hole positions. It is a bit much for just cooling a CPU ...but that's only for the moment , so I have plenty of expansion capability.

UV Mod Kit

UVModKit_zps10e22681.jpg

5 litres of Pure distilled water

Primochill Intensifier - UV Red dye

Pulse Modding PHN Bioclear

CCFL 2-in-1 UV fluorescent tube 2 pack

Water Cooled Pictures

TopOfRadiatorNoFans_zpsf522fd19.jpg

Here you can see that 4 of the rad locations match the holes in the top of the Haf-X :D

XspcRadiatorStdFans_zps91b74196.jpg

Inside the case showing the fans that came with the kit

InsidePCShowingRadGap_zpsa90ce248.jpg

This shows you just how much space I have between the fans and Motherboard :shock:

Watercooled-01_zpsd8701eca.jpg

After connecting all the tubing together did a leak test. I added a bit of UV red dye made it so much easier to see any air bubbles :)

Watercooled-02_zpsa4a1f075.jpg

Front of the case showing the Resevoir and pumps behind it

Watercooled-03_zpscffbe718.jpg

Added more UV Red dye & the some Bioclear to see the full effect :D

Water Cooling Mod Completed

Watercooled-04_zps9925b419.jpg

Tubing I think could do with a little tweaking ... prob do that when I start on the next mod :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

'Fire' mod

On this phase of the mod i'll be doing the 'Fire' installment. Hope you like it :wink:

Fan Controller & the extra fans finally arrived ..3 days late :(

FanController_zps0f8c3aa3.jpg

Aerocool X-Vision 5 channel fan controller

6Coolmasterfansampsplitters_zps50b3bdeb.jpg

3 CM 120mm Sickle flow red led fans, 2 extra CM 120mm Sickle flow Blue fans ( Had one before the watercooling ) , 3 fan splitter cables , 1 Xspc twin 5mm UV led and 1 Xspc twin 5mm Blue led

I chose these fans for 3 reasons...

Highish CFM ( more than the fans that came with the watercooling kit)

Low Dba (half of the standard fans)

LED's (standard fans didn't have any)

200mmRedampBlueFans_zps2a6b0a06.jpg

1x CM Megaflow 200mm Blue led Silent Fan. The other fan is the one that comes with the Haf-X case. CM 230mm Red led Silent fan.

These I had before the watercooling setup. I swapped the front Red fan for a Blue fan.

NewRedLEDFans_zps00e87755.jpg

Here You can see the installed 120mm Red Led Fans on the rad. Also the converter box for the UV tubes.

NewRedFansOn_zpscad64209.jpg

Here's the fans powered up.

First Paint Mod

RedSprayCans_zps11d6d822.jpg

These are the spray cans I used for the paint mod... blotted out the manufactuer just in case.

CaseDriveBay_zps7c73eecc.jpg

CaseHingedBrackets_zpsb61f9834.jpg

These pics show the before and after.

InternalPCPowerOn_zpsfd403b43.jpg

This is what it looks like so far..... :thumbleft:

Needed some tweaking ....

Put in the painted parts. tweaked the lighting a bit & finally decided to put the Red Led Fan in the side panel :thumbright:

After a bit of moving around I finally came up with this ....................

CaseFullInternalMod_zps815b39cb.jpg

Did some of the 'Ice Mod' just to see what it looked like. This will be shown in the my next post.

• 4 weeks later...

'Ice' Mod - Part 1

Here's a quick update to what I've done so far :)

NewBlueLEDFans_zps02013d2b.jpg

Using the fan power splitters I brought before I connected a each pair of red LED & Blue LED fans to the same channel on the Fan controller so they spin at the same speed.

The rad now has 6 fans (3x Red LED & 3x Blue LED) in a push/pull configuration :D

NewBlueFansOn_zpsbdfffdc9.jpg

Ran out of Red braiding so ordered some more and will finish the last fan with it :(

Installed the 2 Blue LED's ...1 into each of the drive bays. Replaced all the plastic covers to see the effect so far :D

CaseTopPowerOn_zps5524d84e.jpg

FrontofCaseWithBlueLED_zpsf06b93dc.jpg

In the next post i'll be doing more of the 'Ice' mod with some changes been done to the 'Fire' mod.

Hope you like what I've done so far and for what will be done in the next mod :D

• 1 month later...

Ok here's the next instalment to the 'Ice' mod.

Most of this is the painting and side panel mod for the case itself :D

Here's the side Panel before painting.

RearPanelStart_zpsbb1302b0.jpg

Primer was then added, sanded then finished off with a white pearlescent paint and clear coat lacquer.

Finished Side Panel.

RearPanelfinished_zpsd733cef6.jpg

Next stage the Top and Front Panels. Cut out some of the Grills to make them look different and allow better airflow.

The Painting of these was a 2 stage process. First stage was the white ....then the second stage was the blue.

GrillPanelsPrePainted_zps99defb47.jpg

Stage 1 - White done

GrillPanelsPearlCoat_zpse061cdc0.jpg

Stage 2 - Blue done

GrillPanelsPainted_zps4f5cfb45.jpg

Next came the Fan grills and some of the other components. Some were also done in 2 stages ..1st the Blue ..then the white

Here's what I started with.

FanGrillsPrePaint_zpsc6ddf5b5.jpg

First some Blue ..then the White. The rest of the other parts were just done in White Pearl.

FanGrillsPainted_zps9dbd14a1.jpg

Here's what the Grills and Panels look like when assembled back together 8)

GrillPanelsampGrillsInstalled_zps2cf788ec.jpg

Here's the Top & Panel with all the parts installed fitted back on the case :D

PaintedFrontCase_zps3e089b61.jpg

Now for the other Side Panel. this I thought about for a while before I finally came up with this solution.

Started with this 1st of all .Marked out what I need to cut out.

SidePanelStart_zps8a7566f1.jpg

Ended up with this.

SidePanelCut_zps77404a20.jpg

Now for the paint.. again Pearlescent White

SidePanelPrimer_zpsd8f4d6e5.jpg

Now for the new clear acrylic side viewing panel . Cut this too size myself.. had the edges milled by a friend and then gave it a good clean. :D

AcrylicSheet_zpsa886ae8a.jpg

Now to put them together :D

SidePanelWithSheetIn_zps3e7cd6df.jpg

Added some RED led strips to the inside of the panel to give it more of a red glow. Fitted the UV tubes to the case at the top and side before fitting the new side panel.

PaintedInsideCase_zps7315629b.jpg

Almost there ..not happy with the watercooling tube setup :? Think it needs tidying up a little . will do that on next update.

Hope you like what I've done so far :D

Final Part now ..As I said wasn't too happy about the Watercooling tube layout so I decided to buy some new fittings .

I got some 45' angle and extension fittings to allow a more fluid flow of both the tubing and the coolant.

NewFittings_zps65421c97.jpg

Replaced the old tubing with some slightly thinner wall so it was easier to work with and did another 12 hour leak test .

NewWaterCooling_zps7e34a76a.jpg

All working well ..so re-fitted everything back inside and then all the panels.

FinalSideFinished_zps6396f7ec.jpg

This was all done on a relatively small budget. It just shows you what you can do with a little research and a good idea of a Case Mod. Hope this inspires others to have a go at case modding because I found it a great experience.

I was quite pleased with the outcome and will probably do another one :D

FinalPCFinished_zps5b05bab8.jpg

• 7 months later...

H2O 'Fire & Ice' By Shadey H , UK

The theme of this Mod is 'Fire & Ice'. The 'Fire' being all the internal mods and the 'Ice' for all the external mods. These mods include Custom watercooling, cable braiding, lighting, Fans and Custom Paint work.

Here are My Final Entry Pictures ...Enjoy

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Archived