[Scratch Build] Thunderbirds are Go

TERW_DAN

full.jpg

As long time Thunderbirdfans we cannot understand there was never a Thunderbirdscasemod built, as far not as we know off. Until know.

For this year's Cooler Master competition we've decided to recreate the iconic Tracy Island from the Thunderbirds.

full.jpg

This island, located somewhere in the South Pacific is the ideal ground for a casemod, it is full of secrets we can use to house our hardware. The idea is to reacreate the island with the swimmingpool that houses Thunderbird 1, the hangar and launchpad for Thunderbird 2 where a 3.5" HDD will be housed and the round house that covers the launchsilo for Thunderbird 3 will be used as a fanduct for cooling the internal hardware.

A quick sketch of how th island should look like.

full.jpg

I don't have all the hardware collected yet, but so far I will use the following.

full.jpg

A Gigabyte EP45-DS4P Motherboard, with E6750CPU and 2 GB DDR2. A Gigabyte 8500GT Videocard and a Cooler Master Hyper 612s CPUcooler.

furthermore a generic DVDplayer or writer, a PSU (I don't have that one handy yet, so I have to look what I have left for this machine).

Storage will consist of 3.5" SATAdrives.

The swimmingpool will move just like in the series. The DVDplayer will be used for this. It will move the pool as soon as the drive is opened or closed to reveal the CDtray.

The palmtrees next to Thunderbird 2s launchpad will be able to swing out of the way, and the tarmac can lifted to reveal the HDDdrive which will be fitted with an eSATA connector to make it possible to remove the drive if necessary.

When viewed from the top, it should look something like this.

full.jpg

Blue = Motherboard

Orange = DVDplayer

Green = HDD

Black = PSU

Yellow = Casefan

Red = WiFi antenne

• 3 weeks later...

Since I'm still looking for an ATXcase to use for this mod (or better yet, decide if I want a case to use and not just built something), I experimented somewhat with making palmtrees. And so far, it has succeeded quite nicely.

Believe it or not, this piece of electrical wire (an old powercable) is going to act as the tree.

full.jpg

To make it look a bit more realistic, I wrapped sisalrope around it.

full.jpg

Painted it brown, put some leaves on it, et voila, there we have a palmtree.

full.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To shape the island, I took my old trusty dremel and cut of all the unnecessary bits of the baseplate.

full.jpg

Mounted the spacers for the motherboard

full.jpg

To give you an idea of the size, the top view of the casemod

full.jpg

And a mockup of the setup

full.jpg

The baseplate was warpped in clingfoil

full.jpg

A cardboard box was used to define the rough size of the system

full.jpg

We used a few paint bottles to keep the fanduct open

full.jpg

And then we applied building foam

full.jpg

And then some more

full.jpg

And then even more

full.jpg

And with a share knife, it is very easy to cut it into shape

full.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Since the last post we have been working on giving the island more the shape it should, and it slowly starts to look like the Tracy Island.

full.jpg

We've removed the cardboard from the inside of the case, and then cut out the swimmingpool.

full.jpg

Which was soon inspected carefully by the cat

full.jpg

The next step was making a start on the detailling.

full.jpg

The top of palmtrees, made with a bunch of plastic plants.

full.jpg

Fixing the trunk of the palmtree by carving a piece of wood that was painted brown.

full.jpg

full.jpg

The plamtrees already put on the island, to see how they fit.

And again, a proper inspection done by one of the cats

full.jpg

• 7 months later...

The last update was a while ago. Since then, we have made a bunch of minor changes and things not yet visible on photo's (but they will all fit together in the end as you will see later in this log).

In the last few weeks, we have painted the mod after adding enough foam to make it the correct shape.

The fist step was painting it brown, as a base finish.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

It took quite some time to let this paint try on the foam, and as you can see, it doesn't really look very nice jet.

4.jpg
After adding some more colors paint it begins to look a lot nicer.

Most of the time has gone into painting and tweaking the casemod. 

First of all the pool It had to look nice and shiny blue

8.jpg

9.jpg

Fixed into place. 

Made a holder so it wouldn't drop down when it was extended

10.jpg

11.jpg

And a last shot before the final of the swimmingpool

Then we started on the buildings. 

12.jpg

the plate for the roundhouse of Thunderbird 3

13.jpg

This was going to be the dome above the hangarbuilding. Later we removed the bottom part to make that seperately. It looks different in the series then in the movies, so it was a bit hard to see as we used both sources for the views

from different angles.

14.jpg

Cleo really fell in love with my dremel scrollstation, and even worse, she can handle it a lot better than I can...

15.jpg

Building of the roundhouse, with Thunderbird 3 for scale

16.jpg

This is the landingstrip for Thunderbird 2

17.jpg

added some sand to make it look more real

18.jpg

And installed it on the front. 

19.jpg

And here is the dome

20.jpg

The bottomplate painted

21.jpg

The hardware installed on the baseplate. The strips are magnetic strips, so the case can be held in place with neodymiummagnets placed on the bottom. The Cooler Master Hyper 612s fits just under the swimmingpool. It is almost

impossible to make a decent picture since there is a case on top of it. 

Cables run trough the back of the island. 

22.jpg

The swimming pool installed with tiles, a border, palmtrees and a lot of foliage. Sorry for the blurry shot, I forgot manual focus was on on this picture. 

23.jpg

Then most of the time went into detailing. I don't have pictures of every small piece of green stuff placed on the case, that would be incredible boring 

24.jpg

The hangarbuilding and the hangar door installed. The door will be able to open with a small servo, unfortunately the one I have now isn't working, so this will need to be fixed, but it doesn't matter for the looks

25.jpg

The diving board above the pool.

Archived