[Scratch Build] The Cabinet

Jani Ojennus

Hello everyone!

This is my first project here.

For about 6 years I have been thinking of making computer case that would be similar style to my old desk.

But being man with family and being student again after years in work, my budget is/was very limited. That means that I will be using as

affordable parts as possible. Many components have been bought secondhand. Goal is to build computer that would suit to my desk and some other things.

In future I will be making home-office for my self. It will be located in basement of our house. It will be made in same style as my computer, desk and some furniture.

But that's completely different story.

Last summer I went to local secondhand-shop where I noticed similar desk to mine, but it was painted brown. That got my thoughts running, being summer vacation and all. Being painted had essentially ruined it. Desk had been there for few weeks with price of 100 €, eventually price had dropped to 60 €.

After explaining that I would be putting it to parts, thus I didn't give much value to it, I bought it at fair price of 20 euros. After paying I said to shopkeeper that I will take it to parts there to be able to fit it in car (I didn't want to go and borrow a van from my dad). Shopkeeper asked how I was planning to do that, and I replied that I'll somehow cut the top of desk with something, like for example the chainsaw next to me in shelf..

Shopkeeper started laughing, handed the said chainsaw to me. Look in fellow customers faces was really fun to watch when I cut that desk to three parts.. Well, after that it fitted to car nicely. :D

After coming home I started planning how to actually build it. Quickly I decided that I had to just improvise as I go. Also I noticed that I was in bit of hurry with my project, as Finland's biggest computer happening/lan-party was was being held in two weeks (Assembly, http://www.assembly.org/summer13/), and I of course wanted to make new case before it. During next two weeks I used most of my free time (including nights), building my computer case.

Current state of my computer can be seen in my facebook album: https://www.facebook.com/ojennus/media_set?set=a.10151732558608279.1073741828.632373278&type=3

Specs of computer:

AMD FX-8150

Sapphire HD6950 dualbios

Corsair Venegance 2x4Gb

AsRock 890fx deluxe4

Bunch of old HDD's in RAID

Watercooling

This competition came as perfect excuse for me to reason to myself finishing this computer case. I will be taking it to parts and I'll take pictures of parts then and posting to here, and also possible changes/upgrades. Feel free to ask if you have some questions, I'll be happy to answer.

Best Regards

SFP

ps. for those who do not want to go and see it from that link of mine, here is a picture of my case at Assembly 2013..

17748_10151732598868279_1418051350_n.jpg

Archived