[Scratch Build] The Sanctum

quizz_kid

Hi guys.

I'm in need of a workbench, a place where I can focus dealing with electronics and modding.

The design of this bench is inspired by classic bureaus with a folding deskop. When opened, it reveals the inside; a perfect workspace for me as a hobby electrician and computer modder. It will store all the tools and equipment needed, and most of the stuff will be integrated into the furniture itelf somehow(soldering iron, multimeter etc) In the heart of Sanctum I will install a water cooled m-itx system based on my needs. The desk will also host a pop-up hidden 24" LCD display, using a linear actuator lift from within the construction. With its 25 pull-out drawers, it's also a great storage unit for all of my smaller electronics and tools.

I will start building next week. Until then, here are some simple skecthes...

p8z8.jpg
skha.jpg
inly.jpg
v9g4.jpg

Hardware:

MB: ASRock H77M-ITX
2-2.jpg

GPU: Zotac 670 AMP!
82215688.jpg

HDD & SSD: 1 TB Samsung and 240GB Corsair
15.jpg

RAM: Corsair Dominators
16.jpg

PSU: Cooler Master modular V700
ce7d.jpg

CPU block: Alphacool NexXxoS XP³ Light - Acetal Edition
132p.jpg

Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 120mm
500x1000px-LL-090128c1_1212_0.jpeg

Pump: Alphacool VPP655 with plexi top
gw7h.jpg

Res: Alphacool Cape Corp Bullseye
awnv.jpg

Slim slot-in disk unit
il0c.jpg

A decent soundsystem
wuiz.jpg

For the hidden pop-up monitor I'll use this 12V Linear actuator
urf4.jpg

And a Samsung 24" screen
qruq.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Been starting on some of the basic woodwork, cutting pieces and veneering. Quite boring this process actually, but I'll get my fun real soon =)

The wood I'll use for this build is ash and walnut combined.

First, cutting some 19mm MDF with slices of ash added.

21jp.jpg

Cutting and planing the veneer pieces. Yep, there's lots of them...

vcdi.jpg

After gluing under pressure.

pf3d.jpg

One of the side panel's getting ready for some veneer.

py49.jpg

For the main worktop I've made a part in ash, embedded into the MDF. But more about that later...

2t7h.jpg

Worktop ready for veneer.

3tv3.jpg

Cut some walnut pieces for the feet. These are going through the lathe later on.

esbd.jpg

And here's a key lock mechanism. I'm going to mod it some...

7bla.jpg

I will replace this part later on... But I don't want to spoil everything right now =)

f7gx.jpg

//Quizz

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

The construction for the 25 drawers test mounted.

uld0.jpg

These are two of four feet made in the lathe

tq51.jpg

Here's that unfolding desk in progress. Two 8mm MDF pieces glued together, then a LED strip added.

naq1.jpg

The warm yellow LEDs will make a light show inside the window, from the outside.

achn.jpg

Inside the window I'll have walnut, and so I added a 6mm MDF piece with a sheet of walnut veneer on top of the rest...

7szd.jpg

Here's the cables from the LED list...

5bgp.jpg

And here's the great part of this construction. The cables are now being covered by a ash piece.

avsw.jpg

After that, veneer on both sides...

06rh.jpg

I had to get rid of the veneer covering the circular window with a sharp scalpel.

kh1k.jpg

Then it was time to make a hole for the locking mechanism, and thereby hopefully also find the cables I hid inside.

pwjx.jpg

And there the are... Had to be careful not to ruin the cables when milling the hole.

njui.jpg

Cables pulled out

nhmy.jpg

For the drawers I'll use 6mm birch ply... 25 drawers are a lot of material!!

9or6.jpg

I'm going to use golden velvet for the bottom of the drawers... Though about classic green cloth first, but it's always fun to try something new.

gm3m.jpg

I cut two 8mm thin sheets of walnut and started on the inner panels. After some laser cutting I used a milling tool with a very small bearing. I wanted a small profile, getting rid of that "lasercut touch".

yng2.jpg

Much better...

k46d.jpg

Here are the panels in whole. Will go into details later on...

yum3.jpg

//Quizz

Cut the hole for the pop-up monitor and made a cover piece. For the cover piece it's ideal to find a piece of veneer that blends in. Not perfect, but I'm pretty close I think.

a1rq.jpg

Close up

lwub.jpg

Started on the box making for the drawes. I need 25, so it will take some time I guess...

4d49.jpg

First boxed glued.

khz6.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

When all wood work is done, time for some staining... I picked up some samples from the local hardware store. I chose to do a mix between these two for the perfect patina look

iflw.jpg

Not too red, not too gloomy. Perfect! Starting with the bottom piece.

w1nv.jpg

Here's the bureau stained with everything glued together. Very happy with the result!

4zay.jpg

Just a little close up of beautiful grains.

b8j9.jpg

I made the knobs for the drawers from a 12mm brass round bara.

ulcc.jpg

Here are 25 drawer knobs plus some additional ones for the tech panels

zxfm.jpg

• 7 months later...
Thanks man!!! 

Update:

Been working a lot the last couple of weeks now. I would say this piece will be finished by next week, hopefully.

I decided to remake all the 25 chest drawers. That's a lot of work, but I didn't like the ply ones. Made them from birch this time, and a little thicker as well. Here are the materials cut out.

1.jpg

One box glued together.

2.jpg

Finished drawer with front in walnut. Also ditched the brass knobs, and made small holes instead this time. A bit more playful...

3.jpg

Then I made a mount for the monitor and the linear actuator. Alu, just very simple...

4.jpg

Test mounted. Seem to do the trick!

5.jpg

I made a mount for PSU and the 360 rad. Acrylic lasecut, pretty simple, but I like it =) 

6.jpg

Another angle.

7.jpg

This is how I mounted disks and pump

8.jpg

And here's the MB+GPU mounted, as well as the James Bond styled monitor lift. Pretty tight fit with all those drawers. Yikes!

9.jpg

Here are the parts for the locking mechanism mod. It's going to serve not only as a lock, but also as a light switch. Very unique! I lasercut an acrylic clone of the original steel plate and made two small conductive plates for +&-

10.jpg

This is after gluing and sanding...

11.jpg

12.jpg

This is where I am right now, working on the tech panels. More about these later...

13.jpg

Over and out!

//Quizz

Update:

A multimeter will be handy when working. I made an analog one for the tools panel, 0-20V.

14.jpg

Two cross layers of veneer and some gold paint. Smack! 

15.jpg

Making of the speakers. Simple ones, with some sound attenuating material

16.jpg

Finished...

17.jpg

And mounted!

18.jpg

This is how the front looks like when the lid is closed. A solar system in gold, just like my ol' Sputnik computer. A circular window in brass will be added tomorrow for the final touch.

19.jpg

Close up of the end grain keyhole... Quite nice I think.

20.jpg

And this is now, dealing with electronics for the panels. Here's the res and amp mounted.

21.jpg

Later!

//Quizz

Last update before finals:

My soldering iron is going to be given a special built in stand with magnets, and for that I made some delicate brass parts in the lathe

22.jpg

Assembled!

23.jpg

I made a leaktest and used my panel fillport. As you can see I changed the panels a bit...

24.jpg

It's finished, and I'm into the photobooth. So how many hrs did I put into building this one?... I calculated it into almost 900! :clap: Expect finals in a few hrs! :cooldude:

Time for finals, hope you'll enjoy!

THE TEMPEL

Inside is a bit messy right now, lots of electronics in there...

25.jpg

Front, lid closed

26.jpg

Lid opened

27.jpg

Monitor lift up-up-up!

28.jpg

There we go.

29.jpg

With built in lighting turned on

30.jpg

Another shot, in the dark

31.jpg

The lock serves as a lighting switch. Turn the key, and you'll have a solar system glowing from inside the circular window.

32.jpg

Close up, solar system

33.jpg

Close up, end grain key hole

34.jpg

The lighting reflects on the small brass domes and creates a really nice effect.

35.jpg

Drawers...

36.jpg

More drawers... 

37.jpg

A close up of the stained ash grains.

38.jpg

Behind the screen is a modular tool wall for smaller tools

39.jpg

Here's the right panel. It got a built-in soldering station, analog multimeter and R speaker.

40.jpg

Soldering iron inserted in stand with magnets

41.jpg

Here's the multimeter in action, sort of.

42.jpg

The modified soldering iron, tailored for the sake of the brass theme

43.jpg

On the left panel we've got L speaker, HDMI out-in, phones input, light switch+dimmer, disk reader, fillport+res, USB 3.0 x4, amp with volume+tremble+bass, disk eject, start button and finally a switch for the monitor lift.

44.jpg

Close up, res in action... The cape corp bullseye res sure is a beauty!

45.jpg

And here's a little video showing monitor lift and res in action. Sorry about the quality.

Til next time!

//Quizz

Archived