Glorious PCMR - Crystal 570X Build Log

Gary Murphy

The Corsair H100i v2 All-in-One (AIO) CPU cooler is a beautiful device for those wanting to go beyond the typical air cooler but not quite all the way to the custom watercooling components (i.e. pumps, reservoirs, blocks, hose, fittings, etc).

hYJbGDZ.jpg

Included in the kit is everything you would need to mount the AIO (240mm radiator, two SP120L PWM fans, and numerous accessories). This kit is compatible with any Intel LGA 1150, 1151, 1155, 1366, 2011 and 2011-3 and any AMD socket FM1, FM2, AM2 and AM3. The red and blue accessories in the photo are from the optional H100i/H100i v2 Color Kit.

oGjpg02.jpg

The radiator/pump/CPU block are absolutely stunning! The braided tubing really complements this set.

ojF7DaE.jpg

Here is a closer look at some of the mounting accessories included. The mounting bracket in the upper left goes on the back of the motherboard. The cable runs from the CPU block to a USB port on the motherboard. The lower ring is for AMD motherboards.

tT511QS.jpg

Here is what the mounting bracket looks like on the back of the Maximus IX Hero motherboard.

zBNxTep.jpg

The front side of the motherboard only shows the posts that the CPU block attaches to.

Tpipm2E.jpg

I tried to mount the H100i v2 to the top of the 570X case but the fans hit the top of the Vengeance full-size memory modules. It just does not fit, so I went with Plan B and mounted two HD120 PWM fans to the top mounting bracket.

ccoinjv.jpg

Here is a shot of these fans from the top.

OfJ5duc.jpg

With just these two fans mounted, you can see that there is not much additional clearance between the bottom of the fans and the top of the memory modules.

YYQ1H4a.jpg

The upper access holes above the motherboard tray allow the fan cables to be hidden easily.

crx176F.jpg

The tedious but important task of sleeving the main wiring is complete!

The only really visible cables will be the 24-pin ATX, 8-pin CPU, 8-pin and 6-pin PCI-E. In keeping with the color scheme, the colors are yellow and black. I also used black cable combs to keep them organized.

6So6WGP.jpg

Here is a shot of the entire cables. The pink paper is only to identify which end is for the PSU.

xv7ZjEn.jpg

Didn't like the stock decal that comes on the rear of the Corsair HD120 fans.

jFweFh2.jpg

Played around with my Silhouette Cameo and came up with a better alternative. Black with a yellow Corsair logo. Every fan nows has this decal instead of that plain stock version.

Vkk5Dws.jpg

voe3mJu.jpg

Working on getting the front fan assembly mounted this morning. It was definitely a tight fit and took some effort to get it in there!

exUirh9.jpg

Still haven't mounted the CPU block on the motherboard yet. Have some cushioning on the PSU cover to protect the paint while deciding the best placement for it.

You can see that I painted the radiator and CPU accents a yellow color to match the case and bring some color to those items.

xLkiweL.jpg

Alright, finally got the AIO CPU block installed. Fairly difficult to get the tubing to lay where I want it. Would rather have had it flipped over, but the tubing just would not cooperate. The black wires from the rear fan and the AIO still need to be groomed.

mFzrH3p.jpg

Overview of case as it stands now.

0HmubUA.jpg

Now that the AIO is mounted, time to start getting the SSD drives ready. Here are the two Corsair Neutron Series XT drives (480GB each). 

nBJ5LHC.jpg

Nice drives but that red color scheme will have to go.

Q6YnNwA.jpg

The decals removed easily enough and now that red really stands out!

w7KzttU.jpg

Removed the top covers (yep, voided that warranty) and now you can see what lies within these units.

ku7UMYP.jpg

The covers are now getting a white primer coat and sun yellow coat. More updates when they are ready.

Also received the 2TB Western Digital Black drive. Trying to decide what to do with it.

DpoELVa.jpg

The SSD covers are dry and look pretty good in just the plain Sun Yellow color.

g0xeSyq.jpg

Created some decals with the Silhouette Cameo to match the theme of the case, 'Glorious PCMR'. The black vinyl looks good on the yellow cases.

CieFghK.jpg

Mounted on the case and ready for use!

Oku2T6x.jpg

With the ASUS Maximus IX Hero motherboard having only a single USB 2.0 connection, I had to get a USB hub to expand that to 3 USB 2.0 ports. This device is made by NZXT.

FnpG5Ff.jpg

The package contains the USB Hub and the appropriate cables for connection to the motherboard.

JAxnmde.jpg

For lighting, this build will utilize the Corsair Lighting Node Pro.

BNM951U.jpg

Most of the main hardware (except for the GPU) have been mounted. Now the daunting task of figuring out all of this wiring and how to manage it in the most efficient manner since the side panel is tempered glass.

Most of the cables shown are either data or control cables. The power cables (i.e. SATA, Molex, etc) aren't even in the picture.

YKJ8Vwe.jpg

One nice thing about the Corsair Lighting Node Pro is that it has even more control over the RGB lighting than that provided by the HD Lighting Control included with the fans and case. Since the lighting hub now goes directly to the lighting node pro, there is no need for these two components of the HD Lighting Control.

U0cxMrj.jpg

Spent a few hours trying to do something with all of the typical wires that always end up behind the motherboard. Normally not too difficult a task when the side panel is solid, but with a glass side panel it becomes a major undertaking.

Still need to groom a few cables, but the majority are in place and tied down.

odQsxsX.jpg

Here is a shot of the interior of the case.

sar4Yrx.jpg

• 4 months later...

The case has now been to Dreamhack Austin in May and QuakeCon in August. It has received a great reception and many people enjoyed the simplicity and clean interior.

2fMgidR.jpg

bJSWg63.jpg

bl6xMwF.jpg

cCnHH1R.jpg

Here is a shot of my home setup.

hBjluam.jpg

At QuakeCon 2017, a news photographer loved my build and put it an article for the Dallas Morning News.

https://www.guidelive.com/geek/2017/08/25/four-day-video-game-party-quakecon-staying-going-get-bigger

S5lIAfN.jpg

Archived