[Tower Mod] "Grey Matter" HAF 912 [Complete]

Jim Weist

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone! Well life keeps impeding on my modding time so I haven't been able to finish by my deadline I put in my head. I am hoping to be done for sure with everything by the first weekend of the new year, and I should have my final photo shoot that weekend.

Anyway here is what I got for ya! Enjoy!

I got my 780 GTX water block and I was super stoked for that! This is what I am showing off by mounting the GPU in a vertical position! Here is a photo set of the GPU and GPU installation on the card.

CTrCmHE.jpg

tYdxvxA.jpg

BW9K5yc.jpg

er2Ty4n.jpg

ECEsr6D.jpg

0lAZ9XE.jpg

OAWsrJB.jpg

rlviFMI.jpg

DmWji1o.jpg

x4Qi8qC.jpg

Shortly I will show you the GPU in the system! Its too cool!

I did some panel painting, I repainted and I am fixing the front window, and painted the rear door.

mD7KbW2.jpg

ChlxwSR.jpg

9eyra6k.jpg

I drilled a few extra LED mounting holes in my EKWB D5 pump top. I will be making a LED harness with 5 5mm LEDs to light that thing up!

TbWwWZi.jpg

hcdLbRB.jpg

Here is a photo of the rear of my motherboard. This is also a reason for some delay, I am switching those red surface mount LEDs for white LEDs to match my lighting. It will also throw off some extra white light behind the MB shroud.

ofkMCQd.jpg

Here are the Enermax PWM fans. I will be running 4 of them to cool my radiators. To on the front here blowing in and two on top blowing out. I sleeved the PWM cable splitter that I showed you in the last update to match the color scheme.

Hs0CONH.jpg

FzAgn7y.jpg

l7YJPeT.jpg

Here is my remote control for my LED lights all sleeved up and mounted in place! I think this is a cool little gadget to control my lighting!

mYPD6qU.jpg

VLGKWiZ.jpg

Here is the one of my sata cables sleeved up and plugged in. There will be one more for now.

DS5Y21L.jpg

I am upset I have to open up the GPU hole 1/16th inch toward the front because It is a little too small. I have it vinyl wrapped here.

7LqRWfq.jpg

Lastly here are some pic of where I am sitting right now! It came together much better and cleaner than I even anticipated!

MjVIhAA.jpg

MV60LBD.jpg

XQNkv10.jpg

nKxbauG.jpg

Well that is what I have for now! I have a pretty small list to finish up the build. I need to:

- Make 3 LED harnesses for GPU, CPU, RAM, and pump.

- Adjust the GPU I/O input hole.

- Replace the LEDs on the motherboard.

- Make a new front input/switch panel.

- Make a new acrylic window for the side panel.

- I need two more 90° fittings.

- Bend a few more tubes.

- Fill the water loop!

That is all I can think of off the top of my head. Take care guys, Ill have the next update as soon as I can! Thanks for reading!!:rock::thumb::D

• 7 months later...
Hey everyone! Happy to say Grey Matter has come to a finish!! I am extremely happy with how it turned out and I am glad all my ideas were

accomplished and came to life in this build. I am going to be starting a new build here very shortly, so keep an eye out for it if you enjoyed

following my work. This is just the very beginning of my modding career! Now before I get ahead of myself here are the photos for my last update.

I will also be getting a final professional photo set taken very soon and will update those as soon as I get that done.

On with the update!

First Thing I was waiting on were white LEDs to replace the red LEDs on the rear of the motherboard. I swapped them out only to find out they

can be turned off and never need to change them lol:wallbash:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Next task was opening up my GPU IO area a bit, it was too small to fit 2 DVI connectors. Nothing a scroll saw and a hand-file couldn't fix.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Next finishing up some loose ends regarding some LED harnesses, some PSU wires to be sleeved, and the vandal switches needed to be wired up.

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

After that I was able to start routing wires and getting everything in place and connected, then I bent and connected the final tubes for the GPU

and pump.

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

Then it was time to get the coolant together and fill that loop!!!:clap: My second favorite part of the build next to wiring it up!:thumb: I used

Mayhems ice white pastel, and in order to make the grey coolant I had to mix green and red with a 10:1 ratio. To get it dark as it is I probably

went about 150 drops of green to 15 drops of red.

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

Now that its filled and ready here is a few shots of the build! I hope you like it as much as I do! It was so much fun to make! Id like to give a shout

out and special thanks to Bill over at MNPCtech.com! I am going to get a final photo shoot done probably in the next week and I will put them up

when that is done! 

Cooler Master HAF 912 : Grey Matter :clap:

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

Thanks for watching Ill be back with the high quality photos soon!

Well everyone, after four months my project Grey Matter comes to final close here! I would really like to thank everyone for tuning in and following my build! Also a special shout out to Bill at MNPCtech! It means a lot to me

having everyone stop by and leave comments and I invite you all to follow my next project!:dremel: I will be starting the work log next week! 

With this Grey Matter build I tried to do a few things out of the ordinary, I see a trend in color schemes and I wanted to try something different with the white and grey combination, I think it paid off. I also wanted to show off

the awesome water blocks we buy for our graphics cards but never see them because the way they are mounted, so I changed my GPU orientation to the vertical position! I also saw people on Youtube making reservoirs by

hand and wanted to give that a shot. In turn, I came up with this waterfall style bay area mounted reservoir that also houses a slim style blu-ray burner. I also wanted to make sure you could see the water pump so I made a

little chamber with a window to see it. 

Enough babbling! Here are the final photos of the project!:rock:

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

50.jpg

51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

54.jpg

55.jpg

56.jpg

57.jpg

58.jpg

59.jpg

60.jpg

There you have it!! :clap: I hope you all enjoyed watching as much as I loved building! Until next time! Take Care!:clap:

Archived