Proxima C

Cle216

Hi! It's been a long moment since I've built a case and had a project log.:dremel: Where have I been and what I have I been doing? To those of you that don't know me who am I? 

My modding "career" started a long time ago in the year 2000. Back than I didn't have a camera so my early cases, which, were mere tower mods with windows and autobody paint body and some lights. It wasn't until 2007 and my Triphane build that I started to show my ability. I hit my stride in 2009/10 with my first scratch build Aelro Dynamic, all aluminium, which, was folllowed by SSR-X, all carbon fiber build. 

After SSR-X, I founded and tried to jumpstart a wearable technology company, which, failed!:wallbash::clap: It was one :) of a learning experience! SSR-X was created with Google Sketchup, but my wearable technology demanded that I learn SolidWorks. Gained some really valuable knowledge in the art of design and assembly. Pictures below!

12004955_10100352995995528_3967287065979

I'm sitting around and the Cooler Master World Series competition pops up on the radar. I'm eyeballs deep in projects already but in the past 6 months I was designing case in my spare time. With the competition and my aging hardware, I finally decided it was time for a new case, Proxima C. 

Proxima C will be my first fully acrylic case.:rock: It somewhat of tribute case to the discovery of Promixa B in the Alpha Centauri System, within, the last year! I wanted to make a case that didn't look of this world.

proximasurface.jpg

Material is on order! As always Until Than, Keep Modding:dremel:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update: 

Proxima C is going to be a water-cooled case. This past weekend after a basic completion of the design and ordering of the Acrylic, I went ahead and ordered the watercooling parts. 

33353740901_b0815f1248_m.jpg

Thermal Take Ring Fans. They look awesome when lit!

33353744471_935125ea4e_m.jpg

Slim Triple 360mm Radiator. I don't for see an SLI setup so these 2 should just do. 

32667789093_e07fc05487_m.jpg

Promixa C can hold up to 4 Reservoirs, though, 2 will only be attached at first. 

Laser Cutting this weekend! Until next time!:dremel:

Update: 

Have you ever seen 4 x 8" Sheets of Cast Cell Acrylic?:dremel: Proxima bill for material requirement is quite large. While I haven't calculated the exact square footage of material it will approximately take upwards of ~60% of these 2 - 4 x 8" sheets of acrylic.  

y3mUyLTM1T8aYl6GaLDmmjOqCFovXBjNqaf_ZTrx

The Colors. 

y3mJ4n2hlLh75R0HQq9Yn3W3VK4jQHYI8wSo7GM5

Next up Cutting and Laser Cutting! Until next time.:dremel:

Update: Cutting Acrylic

Before I started to cut the acrylic, I wanted to make sure that all the parts were correctly to size. I created Drawing files in Solidworks and I went to my local print store to get them printed off. 

With printing off Blueprints, I also wanted to save material as much as I could.  I originally sourced acrylic material to Delvies plastic. I ran into a problem, in that, I would waste to much material over the build, due to their standardize sizes, and that would cost me $200 more in build cost. Buying 4 x 8' sheets lets me cut out just what I need and efficiently lay out all the parts so that I can save money. 

y3msqZ3aXxxjLB2rSuHnOXqLZmWGEUoIoRQH0VN3

My printed off blueprints. 36" x 8'. 

These will just give me the dimensions for each piece I want to cut and fit in the laser cutter. New DXF files will be created for actually importing into the laser cutter and cutting out the parts.

Another view of the entire blueprint. This just encompasses the Radiator Assembly of the build

Size and dimensions of each sheet of acrylic.

y3m9leJEDuz-cTXaD5iToCryoI6lhM4Hxw_NogN_

I usually cut material with a fiber disc because it is usually metal. It is nice to be able to use a Jig Saw and not create such a big mess and have material fly in my face!:dremel:

y3mw6xzxKPeg5s2YoXV7FtsXrWG4g8cmQmz0QPA2

Cutting. 

y3mwmYFRj4W2cERzdozAAs3hu1nZM-czkxEjOGxd

More parts that create the Radiator assembly. 

Laser cutting tomorrow, if it all goes well!:dremel: Until next time!

Update:

In Cleveland, Ohio, where I live there is a place called ThinkBox that lets the local community come in and use various equipment. Until recently, it was in a small space in the basement at a local university. ThinkBox got moved into a new 50,000 sq ft remodeled building on its campus. Plus they got a bunch of new equipment. 

I was suppose to start laser cutting yesterday, but they were closed due to spring break holiday. Thankfully they be open all week and weekend. I have a large amount of Acrylic to cut!:dremel:

y3ml-xPDLESnc4xzn9k_kb8uxK6NIOsb8z1JYgSV

y3mvksIrK3rYlm_4uH0jXYziP2yaz2izTo6SXtVv

They have 2- Universal 75/150 watt laser cutting machines:clap: When I saw these, I knew this was going to be awesome!  

y3mPLguNCphJ34iaDKCIZ4y20ePyYx3j1mDiZz3j

A former student was etching a project, so I decided to roam the room and see what else they had to offer and came upon this  ---->>>

y3mGhBNNNCwY92u06qPkZd5pwciO2VjBwN-riiRn

y3mplNLt54IGbNO-e2ObkaqHIcc69jBkGh-FPcpR

Free Hardware!!:rock::jawdrop: I found heaven, lol! 

y3mMaoag47KYz0xkQj_sDeE30VAUD5mvMyOaDfhD

Took my Solidworks Drawing file, converted into DXF and imported into CorelDraw and shot it over to the laser cutter. 

y3mQB4YnCj8MtqOX2-hXzCyfAX4_XhkEzdD_pULj

y3mmvmjTw6-LJ7jNaLyEQNcBlYuO7C2V9ZS7vbHZ

I need to establish just how long it would take to cut out my designs. I was getting some horrible run time numbers but luckily the data that was being provided was wrong. 

y3m9nXoyjHjw0R91fzGu7Kcoq18N0fzKpf93BJnp

The first sheet was turning out ok. The power setting were set a little low. 

y3m9nXoyjHjw0R91fzGu7Kcoq18N0fzKpf93BJnp

y3m81rT_cC6CFAlgDD7jgkXTdOluZ5GO2S5gX7hv

The settings were corrected and the second set of parts turned out great! Perfect cut through! I was in the lab for about a total of 2 hours plus there was some wait time. 

I like to say the cut finish is really nice! Until next time:dremel:

Update: 

This whole week has been to the dedication to get as many pieces cut for Proxima as possible. 

Proxima is built in 3 separate distinct sections. I started by working at the bottom, which is the radiator assembly portion of the case and working my way up. 

y3mz0k9Wr5wNl7HQ_RYrYO8TFza3gCnJD8Z-E1Wm

Setting the Laser to Cast and dialing in the power settings. 

y3mjha1F8oT1PGJGSCix0UaPG3AOf_EGG2DHdTGG

This is one of the Radiator Side Frame pieces for the assembly that is being cut. The first piece in this laser cut run did not go well, because the machine was off calibration.

y3mhRwTFhg6pa-AOT_lMEydooh6M5i8RkWnuOPGO

y3mt5M74Ps3_4hBnr4vbUPek6YwoD0fVDVspTiDu

These pieces so far are coming out well, but they do have some minor flaws because of cutting from a laser, which, will be pointed out in a later update. 

y3m96m8CW8iElAc3kKKCL2VF-wI-FUaWwEB7gcye

Finished piece.

y3mUQdF4T0zwcBrw7PfOm2j8Bl0UvfB6WSuUvdoI

y3muPApouG9O3OU7qiABMXYAkxsY9gCaSGK4Mx-k

I have to turn the power setting up nearly all the way so the laser cleanly cuts through the acrylic. 

y3mIg0F2MVqncvphYETj1AMLiIGoh5Z3J2u2o-WY

My largest sheet of cutting. 24 x 48". 

y3mTTswpb_93BGzVon5n_yAWenrMy-H4xTblUpJi

This piece was used to cut out the power supply section of the case. This piece which is being cut here represents a frame piece in that portion of the case. 

y3mBhqAjtXBzBrtJbcO9ZNzrxKvktnXFLGgxnB47

This frame piece is the support bracket for the power supply. I actually have to go back and modify it because my design is a bit off. 

That is all for now. Until next time:dremel:

Update: 

Its been a busy week at ThinkBox getting all the pieces laser cut. 

I will be assembling the Radiator assembly portion of the case this weekend but before we get there, I had to finish cutting out some pieces for that section.

y4m74fwSvfH3fRB85uv1QK30i-yW5bJ-R20Enlkf

The radiator mounting frames and the Radiator to Mid-Section Joiner piece. 

y4m74fwSvfH3fRB85uv1QK30i-yW5bJ-R20Enlkf

y4mRcUdtvPXmU04YHRC8cVzm2PR9QP8w-D1f6nDK

The pieces laser cut! I'm actually had to go back and re-cut all these pieces because the tolerances were off. :wallbash::dremel: The laser takes a  1 mm off on cut, so when designing to tolerance, I was actually over tolerance because I didn't think of the width of the laser beam.

y4mECFFp1A26g9ItCrFqMI5SfGvY7ZcjOrzGyLU3

Got started on the Upper Frame section of the case, which, will house the motherboard and video cards. 

y4mW4iYlnESx3ANFdgjAeUa_SSuTe4J4SdGeJOtQ

y4mdNBMaaZOrvYatisNdl0maUHtWFcDr_D2EOX2Q

Sneak peek. :dremel:

y4mSLEXAFSO6-DY0z-WhRUOoOAvPWcErE2a-IIo0

These are side frame pieces for the mid-section where the power supply will be house. They also help support that section. 

y4m1b4JuX4e686N61Gpz95wrXfAVjE2K0wb4iBUB

y4muIoJaz0AiWJmE8Pn5uLIfpblRcy6FuOevu6bj

Opps! These piece flopped out after cutting:nono:! It could have broke the machine:nono: Thankfully I didn't have to stop the machine. These are some pieces that had to be re-cut because the tolerance was off. 

That is all for now. Until next time:dremel:

Long Weekend!:dremel:

Where to start....to start to assemble the radiator section and it subsequent power supply assembly above it, I had to finish laser cutting some pieces. The weekend was dedicated to trying to get the radiator assembly assembled. It would also let me know what type of build time I'm in for and the complexity of the build finally. 

y4mSLEXAFSO6-DY0z-WhRUOoOAvPWcErE2a-IIo0

Side frames for the power supply assembly section. There purpose is to support and to provide interlocking transition to the radiator assembly. 

y4m1b4JuX4e686N61Gpz95wrXfAVjE2K0wb4iBUB

When the laser cutting setting are properly dialed in, the pieces after cutting fall right out. With 5mm cast acrylic I had to turn the power setting up to nearly 100% to get a clean cut. 

y4muIoJaz0AiWJmE8Pn5uLIfpblRcy6FuOevu6bj

The long skinny piece is for interlocking the radiator frames. They had to be re-cut because of over-tolerance issues. I cut extra pieces because it would help in holding the frames while they were glued. 

Radiator Section Assembly

y4mpdhMMhnmN3-lz01TOv1oyq4L2rJ87SYlyC_R0

Searched for Weld On 3 online, which, I found is now this product. Good thing is that I was able to order this locally through McMaster Carr in my area. I also order syringes and 14 gauge needles. 

My previous experience using acrylic glue years ago was somewhat a nightmare because I wasn't using needles like I should have been.

y4m63jwRbcCLGHb-h9d0g1TfVQBf-UPQQUEFsfLg

These are radiator side frame brackets. They are all wrong!!:duh: For some reason the holes are off by about a millimeter. Luckily they are small in size and I have ample material so they will all be re-cut. 

y4mi7l7IjaFrWUn-Fs_aDGGKx8MyF80F2rUZuzfl

Interlocking Radiator Frame supports. 

y4migBV5nV5kDx8UvsRVhF75AaALQKqOpjUmXcxA

Radiator brackets. First time in all my build I get to make standardized radiator back support bracket. 

y4mChiq-o1wVFYywHnyd0ToB1A6aPMklTAtpGf-Y

Main radiator frames. I do love the shiny edge that laser cutting leaves on acrylic. No need to polish!!:clap::clap:

y4mN_nw6GrxT0ESw6ZsN6jcg7Bys5JU_tXpHk1zl

Before I start assembling the frames they need taped out to hold their side frame brackets. 10-32 tap. 

y4m1F29TjywEyuSmmbO6S04aky_PGBtLqKbOaORg

Carefully peeled away the area in which the bonding is take place. I want to keep from getting acrylic all dirty or damaged. 

y4mhRL7hc1RcAXF637Li2g2yXybUKp9WPbL-r87a

y4mfGWDBSHnHBt48QAiy3GoBnsg-0zvGL2J4JojE

The radiator frames pieces in alignment and the interlocking piece in place ready for bonding. 

y4mduEgHBWtPv0n0Xr74b8tJBHlga1DPwTW1JuO1

The interlocking piece and its position from another angle.

y4mxvVZOzpyjd3DSvG3agN6xuzgzg972-S6tt9Pc

Next up is the Radiator bracket. This is also bonded to the Radiator frames to give the assembly added rigidity and support. 

y4mKzqaHyr-XDmWPijvW6ykk8H3uM02hdgcELO5k 

Test fit. It looks good! 

y4mw3vrmHIKcy8bZgECTcMrjMGWD7FveM8N51xUW

Add some 120mm fans. 

y4mR2HoGMFQzVSrE9tJCp0Y-RJuAxgCvWICyHy_p

The radiators and fans finally mounted to the bracket. 

y4mZE7vIcJrkfJQQ84ecMDf-fPkl8O6kKKwOWXd2

Got both radiators mounted to their brackets. The assembly is far from being done though. There are still 2 radiator frame pieces missing due to miss cutting. The outer radiator side frames are still not mounted and that is what will be worked on at the beginning of this week. 

Until next time. :dremel:

Update:

y4mYRiwFZe8HFjWGdOvuNAcpVfdieNBUaLdm4_g2

Went to think ThinkBox on Sunday and cut out the 2 Radiator frames that didn't laser cut right the first go around. I also had some side brackets for the power supply assembly that needed cut.

y4mBnO5wAx0-ZeKdctfY0-am8e1zaCFnPqZfDmn8

y4m6TU07fxmXAly1216SL6EDSzeODejsyeZ5n3uL

To mate the Radiator Assembly to the Power Supply Assembly I created this bracket. I really had to stare at the case for a long time in Solidworks to get a feel for the design I wanted.

y4mKeGHU6TwkdifRXUfv-uVettVXuCxz_mgtpyLp

Finished off bonding the 2 radiator frames to the rest of the completed assembly at my house. 

y4mxgOJh33UPjJH0fAuir9d2QUpokuOnCqGQTdAL

Started to mock up and test fit the pieces for the power supply section of the case. 

Until next time:dremel:

Update: 

Off to ThinkBox to laser cut the Main Frame pieces for the motherboard tray. Little did I realize that when I got home and compared them against the first 2 that I would find out the first 2 I cut were somehow off (oversized). Never fails! 

y4menNlRLSEi3ow3QbrKSN4pHXyoir_Y0Q9AfHhx

Oriented and ready to cut. 

y4mL5qj7zZJxcI_sCvYLZLgEu3KrJTcR1sy_0nQ4

Focus the laser and were off.

y4mJfgbJJBQQ9DDvvSewzuFNWXtn88imyk_c5qPW

Skip ahead and shazma, there done!:dremel:

Turned out pretty nice for the most part. There assembly will in a couple weeks or less. 

https://fpqqtw-dm2305.files.1drv.com/y4mJfgbJJBQQ9DDvvSewzuFNWXtn88imyk_c5qPWJ1JogrUrjgcEV-

9bPpgdBLQHvjn9Pt5hxwy6vc6QyJJXAdgTUqmI25UMYikxGpUXTFmJOHsaq_Dco-0NsD8Tf9CxHw4Kk7VXUHNx59_gZyejN4rlf1VnrVBjlh3m5wg3HbHvOqh0oM6e5KtkNwZmC80AfVhaG8aMvM0Xz0VQtLPTMTlsg?width=371&height=660&cropmode=none[/IMG]

Finally got started on Side Frame pieces for the Radiator assembly. 

y4mSoSxcOf5d1VWJZ-tjrEUfDUz5Y2O8Y1seDW-Z

Started by bonding the frames from the bottom working my way to the top. 

Interesting point here, is that in casting the acrylic, the thickness slightly changed throughout sheet. Even though everything is cut to the correct tolerance, I found some pieces were tighter or looser than they should have been. So I had to fit appropriately. 

y4mlofnkp2B22g6Y1vbiKuK_6E8a35nwhv4dyjNk 

Basically completed. I just have to wait for full cure and I can turn the case around and do the front side. 

Until next time:idea:

Archived