Jump to content


Recommended Posts



This mod is something that I've been wanting to build for some time. It is a tribute to the cooler master ammo 533 case.

The project is going to be an evolution from the Ammo series, both from an engineering and design standpoint.


Personally I have been part of the Mekatronix Works (mktrx) case-mod team. We've previously participated in a number of regional events, in the last couple of years. Before that it was mostly custom watercooling and jerry-rigging our cases to fit the components.

I am going to be using a similar HW monitor display system, in-build into the case as one of our previous projects "Tek'tonic III" (link below)
The previous builds I have worked at were more of an abstract design and served no purpose in utility. 
With this competition I have the chance to build my system into something that will feed the nostalgia of my lanparty days.


The materials I will be using: Aluminium, Plexi, Dibond and Carbon fiber reinforced ABS.



previous builds:


Tek'tonic III




Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick update with some sketches that I've been working on for the past few days. 

I've eyeballed most of the measurements, some adjustments may be necessary.


The first attachment shows the external, left-hand side of the build. I'll be fabricating this from aluminium composite materials (3rd pic) tomorrow.
It's usually a bad ideea to build this from the outside in, but hey that's what sketches are for. Queue some hardcore dremel action. 


Second attachment is a rockin' pulley transmission system. Bit of a headache to design, but just wait and see it in action!


None of the components, that I ordered, have made it through shipping yet, so it's all fabricobbling until the easter bunny hops around.





Link to comment
Share on other sites

They say nothing beats using the right tool for the job. In this case, that would be a CNC router. The next best thing is to improvise a router table and use it with stencils as my laser cutter can’t handle metal work. 


Load up a 45 degree drill bit and execute precision grooves to bend the flat composite into load-bearing edges and pillars. 


Laser cut a set of acrylic stencils. Double-sided sticky tape holds everything together. 


Use stencils with the router to shape the composite and pilot screw holes.

Count remaining fingers on each hand.


The slides cover the parts highlighted in red (top right corner). 



Link to comment
Share on other sites



Most of all, this mod is meant to be a tribute to the Cooler Master Ammo 533, a few snaps of which you'll find in the first post in this thread, nested amongst the sketches.
There's a few nods to classic titles such as portal and rocket league.

The central pillar of the design is sticking to non-colors: black, white and a few shades of grey. There's a few reasons for this:

- I get easily bored with a fixed color scheme, a monochrome design, side panel LCD display and the wonders of RGB lighting solve this issue. 
- It makes tweaking the design much easier as the mod progresses. 
- It eludes versatility: few things are as versatile as an ammo box! Dropping this case on your desk at any lan-party should immediately convey that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Parts are here!


CPU:  Intel® Core™ i7-5930K 


MEMORY: Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4-2666 32GB Quad-Channel (8 DIMM)

STORAGE: 2 x 240GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD (RAID 0)

VIDEO CARD: ROG Strix GeForce® GTX 1080 OC edition

POWER SUPPLY: Cooler Master V650

COOLER: custom water block with Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 240mm radiator and Monsoon water loop

CASE FANS: Cooler Master: MasterFan Pro 120 Air Pressure


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Preparing outer surface for painting, since the composite panel comes coated with some sort of enamel.



Had to deepen the bending grooves to release some tension before bending.



Made a bending contraption with the laser cuter.

Used some cyanoacrylate to maintain the 45° angle of the bend.020.thumb.jpg.e098b51c11bdab59377ec0603c5d7462.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Main body of work on the pulley system got finished today.


I started off by 3d printing, separating, and hand finishing a few sets of timing pulleys.

Some metal work followed. I cut up some aluminium pipe and steel threaded rod. 

Assembled the pulley system using a bucket load of nuts and screws. 


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Needed a distribution board for the RGB LED strips.


Started off with a bare copper clad board and applied a layer of paint as masking.



The PCB was then laser and chemically etched before applying a final acetone treatment to remove the paint masking.



All that remains is to drill the holes and solder on the pin headers.

Since this is a single layer PCB the headers will have to go on the reverse side.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..