[Scratch Build] E22 - K2 - Finished

editor22

PROJECT LOG

Hey there everyone, I have been wanting to get another computer built for a while now but have never been able to find the time!

A few weeks ago I was invited to head over to Berlin for the campus party, as soon as I found out I knew that I needed a new case to take with me!

Obviously the first part of the log is not as in depth or action packed as I would have liked due to only having around 5 days to finish. this meant that time was at a premium and some pictures had to just wait!

This first section of the log covers making the prototype version of K2, this will then be used to work any flaws out and also as a guide for the final build.

I have always been a lover of modern and contemporary architecture so when I set out sketching for my next build I knew I wanted to incorporate some of those elements into the shape. I'm also fond of sci-fi so that needed to be in there to.

After a few hours of sketching I moved onto sketch up and brought the design into 3D.

The K2 concept:

K206.jpg

Simple in essence, cooled by a single radiator drawing air through the open finned design.

I had originally designed this to make use of an AIO cooler but unfortunately that wont be ready in the next week so I'll be installing a standard loop in until then.

Again; sorry for the poor pictures I'm just taking them on the phone as I go.

First up.. Safety! and a new hat that I can't wear till winter :(

Safety.jpg

Ok so now a random mixture of images from the last 2 days!

Set some tool paths for the CNC

smallfindesign.jpg

And off she goes :)

smallfinsmill.jpg

I'm just using what ever scraps I have left over in the shop for this as its a prototype and I also don't have time to wait on a delivery.

partscut.jpg

Some 10mm stock goes under the mill for some framework.

mill.jpg

All the fins get a coat of Graphite sparkle spray and then it's a lovely sit down in the garden to assemble.

Gerden.jpg

The bottom fin set.

Smallfins.jpg

The radiator also got a quick coat to help it blend in.

Radpainted.jpg

Time for a test fit (using my wife as a wonderful assistant)

Sidepaneltest.jpg

First I set up the CNC to mill out the plexi part of the motherboard tray.

mobotray.jpg

Bit of a jump now... but here's the assembled motherboard / mid section

mohbotraytest.jpg

Next victim is the panel that holds the radiators and also connects the mid section to the base.

Hot off the CNC

radplate.jpg

Bit of de-burring and its a quick test fit

radplatetest.jpg

All together now :) that 5 day deadline is looking achievable :D

testfit2-2.jpg

So I'll leave this update with my favourite shot of the day. Sadly you will all have to wait to find out what this block is being turned into :)

newpart1.jpg

Started off by cutting the back panel out of some 5mm black plexi

bacl.jpg

backfitted.jpg

Next it was time to return to that mysterious block of clear plexi from yesterday.

Checking to make sure to audio i/o fits

audioio.jpg

back panel screwed on.

audioio2.jpg

finally all together :) contemplating using this piece of smoked plexi for the left top as the PSU should look fairly nice once its all done :)

caseday3.jpg

---

On to the door :D

I made this little fellow out of some white POM and then squeezed a spacer into it to create a bracket for the door to hang on and swivel in.

POMbracket.jpg

The basic action is shown here in video form, this still needs a bit of work and mainly tightening up but I am waiting for the last delivery of small components :)

Made some support blocks to hold the smoked plexi top in place.

IMG_0827.jpg

Fitted it in and then sanded it flush

IMG_0829.jpg

Trying something a bit different out for the storage mounting

IMG_0833.jpg

Needed to generate some clearance between the radiator and the panel to allow for the 180deg fitting combo I have. Grabbed a scrap piece of 10mm plexi and started hacking it up. just needs a bit more sanding and were done :D

IMG_0837.jpg

After all that I finally managed to start the painting! unfortunately seeing as I have less than 48 hours to finish and box it all up I will only be able to get in 2 coats and minimal sanding between. Still it should look ok :)

Gloss white base

IMG_0841.jpg

BMW graphite sparkle back

IMG_0840.jpg

Mid section

IMG_0835.jpg

Well that is all the photos I was able to take for the building phase as towards the end it was totally manic! Now that it is finished I can start working on changes that I would like the make to the design and all the "little" things that need to be added. I have gone over most of these in another video.

ps; I am no video editor! something I'm working on but still a looong way off :)

AWESOME WORK !

Love your designs and the toolset is to die for!

Thanks dude, the workshop is coming along nicely now!

WoW! :shock: A very nice design with a easy acess to the hardware.

Congrats :thumbright:

Thanks Gusts, I just need to add the gas springs into the final design so the lid stays up on it's own :)

----

Been playing about in Photoshop with some colours :)

string1.jpg

string2.jpg

That's one :) of a scratchbuild you have done, very very tidy indeed.

The colour change of cooling fluid is a really good idea, love the work log, may I ask approx how many hours it took to complete?

Thanks :) in total from pencil sketch to real life prototype this build has taken around 40 hours. I could probably spend that long now however just working out the latching fixing for the door in the final version!

Archived