[Scratch] Kirov 2.0 [Completed]

MooZ

header_zpsde3b2c69.png

Co-Working with blitz, this project is back to life, since i failed in its build one year ago.

My own version of sovietic kirov airship from Red Alert 2, now with hardware integrated and some cool features from original design.

Cooler_master_logo.png

blitz_zps0bb5157c.jpg

CONCEPT VIDEO:

RENDER:

render2_zps96d7442f.jpg
render1_zps757ee7c3.jpg

Final pics:

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

• 1 month later...

In Blitz labs, the characteristic shape of an airship, this time skeletical without any cover. Through the design, the cylindrical shape can be used to increase the airflow and have better cooling results. The first idea was include 120mm fans inside, but the size of the project helps to use a 200mm fan, which looks much better. Updating the sketches, time to lasercut. The material, wood has 3mm thick so, is lighter and more flexible for assembly.

2013-11-21093647_2_zps6aaf7a79.jpg

2013-11-21093703_2_zpsc41ea268.jpg

2013-11-21101149_2_zps3001a703.jpg

Looking for 120mm fans, can be a good idea use an all-in-one liquid cooling.

2013-12-03112019_2_zps57883051.jpg

The 200mm fan, fixed to the material, only the essential parts.

2013-12-03112144_2_zpsa4f96361.jpg

2013-12-03113712_2_zpsdc372404.jpg

2013-12-04202408_2_zps62b0621e.jpg

Merry Christmas!

I can still find myself surprised of the designs that people sometimes can come up with.

Are those the final colors? I'd add some red to it, like at where the fans are connected to and the tail fins.

Lol, the red is actually like it was in the game after googling some pictures of it. Must still have been far far away in my memory since I played it... ^^

If you're finished, don't forget to take a small video with it spinning (and flying away?)!

• 7 months later...
While i was sketching, i was only focus on the body of the project, but completely forgot the supports. When the time came, was a hard task for me design this part and improvise with other kind of supports, diferent from the project

theme. Talking to one friend, he says that i should use the same design from "kirov airship" to make the supports. Thanks to him i could finally draw it and integrate to the design. I guess an external point of view is always a big help.

Printed and ready to cut.

1.jpg

After that, the fix points for screws and an accurate width for stability.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Happy new year!

An easy support to fix the psu, the screws come out from the top and go through the central part, leaving room for the main board screws too. Later painting the psu with the same color of all project, for add later some logos.

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

With all the main holes done, time for the first assembly. Checking stability and weight.

8.jpg

Here there is enough space for hard disk, just an idea which i gonna sketch later.

9.jpg

Time for paint, at the end i chose the metallic black-yellow combination from renders.

10.jpg

The coolermaster Sickleflow now to kirov fans, leaving only the center and cut a new support for it.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Cheers!

Despite the render images at the first post, that was not the unique idea before building the project. The sketch went trough 5 stages, each one with modifications, in order to improve the overall design (Weight, stability, space, etc).

The 4th update includes the last post (supports), and this one, which thinking in an airship shape, was necessary add movement engines just for look, i meant not for cooling. The point was search for an adequate size of the fans and

support itself, not affect the moving parts (chasis access), or the ribs. The accurate size was 80mm, total of five of them, which located 2 in the front, 2 more in the back and one in top. After the sketches was done, the wood was

lasercut and assembled.

15.jpg

16.jpg

The color combination chosen before, the metallic yellow for the fans.

17.jpg

18.jpg

While the top fan was fixed direct to the rib, the other four were fix using screws. At same time while i'm sketching, always have in mind if some time i'll need ship the mod to some event, so make it separable for easier shipping has my

attention. The ribs and the circles has a press fit; the hardware, supports and now the engines, uses screws to fit too.

19.jpg

20.jpg

Two sockets more for led switches at larboard

21.jpg

22.jpg

The fifth and last update include the hard disk bays and cool bombs at bottom. Thinking in a good place for the hdd, the option for two drives and an easy installation; the observation port has an adequate space and good location. SATA

cables could go hidden, the place provides quick conections and fit in the theme. First, testing if there was enough room between the wood parts, later how many disk could be put and finally the position for installation. 

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

For bombs, i was undecided if build a 3d bomb (like the ones in the renders), but thinking, fits better using the same style of the airship... So was build in this way.

27.jpg

28.jpg

And the flight test... 

29.jpg

Minor update.

Some cool stuff from Asus & Thermaltake Colombia for the project. The impact VI looks really awesome and goes sweet inside.

30.jpg

31.jpg

Vinyl logos for the PSU sides and fix the fans to the water.

32.jpg

33.jpg

I made this vid, showing the features of the concept builded in this worklog.

Final pics are here. As i planned, project objectives was accomplish succesful and i enjoyed building it. To be a big platform is lightweight, robust and easy to carry. The better part i think is the cheap construction (less than $30) and the

unconventional design. I feel happy since, the first version was builded with so many problems and unknowing things for my inexperience, giving a failed result. As a memory of my old times playing red alert 2, i really want to build this

airship and now with the help of 

3d software, i was able to make it.

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

Cheers and good luck to all!

Archived