NightStrix

Boddaker

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys!

Some great progress over the weekend.  Seems like all I've been doing is drilling holes and tapping lol.

I positioned the bulkheads on the base, with the psu set in the middle.
Bulkheads3_sm.jpg

Then made brackets to mount the bulkheads to the base at their correct spacing...
Brackets1_sm.jpg

Then I proceeded to drill a bunch of holes through all bulkheads at once to save time.  These will be for the threaded rods and spacers.
Bulkheads4_sm.jpg

I also got the motherboard tray mounted to the base and the first bulkhead via screws and spacers at the top.
Bulkheads6_sm.jpg

A close up shot of the 1/2" spacers behind the motherboard tray.
Bulkheads5_sm.jpg

And with the ASUS HERO motherboard installed temporarily to test the fit.
Bulkheads7_sm.jpg

I continued adding the spacers and threaded rods throughout all four main bulkheads until all 13 were done.
Bulkheads8_sm.jpg

Of course I had to set the ADATA SSD's in place to see how they looked..
Bulkheads9_sm.jpg

Once the main part of the case was built, I started the painful task of assembling the doors.  I had to measure, bevel, mark, drill, tap and mount each cross piece, one at a time.  11 slats per side!  This took the majority of my weekend.
Doors5_sm.jpg

Doors6_sm.jpg

Doors7_sm.jpg

Amazingly enough, there was still time left in the day, so I managed to get the Cooler Master Nepton radiator mounted on the backside, with...
Rad1_sm.jpg

You guessed it,  More spacers!  When designing the case, I made a slot in each bulkhead to allow for the Nepton's tubing to pass through to the front towards the motherboard.
Rad2_sm.jpg

Once they're in place, these special pieces will fit into the slots to fill them in.
Rad3_sm.jpg

Rad4_sm.jpg

Work continues at a feverish pace...

Got more carbon fiber vinyl in, so I was able to cover both sides of the main bulkheads last night..

Applying the vinyl onto the first bulkhead.  One side done.

CF1_sm.jpg

First bulkhead finished, both sides, and trimmed.

CF2_sm.jpg

Close up of slot filler piece in place with matching CF.

CF3_sm.jpg

Proceeded to do the other bulkheads.  Here is a detail shot of one of the fan grills.

CF4_sm.jpg

I like the look of the CF with the red edging!  I should be able to get everything else covered in CF tonight, then I can move on to finishing the doors and getting them mounted to the gears.

'til then!

Lots accomplished over the weekend!  Let's get right to it...

Earlier, I had formed a metal base out of some steel sheet, as well as some aluminum angle brackets to hold the bulkheads and GPU in place.  One of the major items on my to-do list was to prep and paint them..

Base1_sm.jpg

I pilfered some case feet off an old box and added some CF to snaz them up a bit..

Base2_sm.jpg

Base3_sm.jpg

Base4_sm.jpg

After applying all the pieces with the carbon fiber vinyl, I started mounting the gears.  I used 1/2" acrylic solid rod for the axle.  I glued it in place on the bulkhead

Gears4_sm.jpg

I glued it in place on the bulkhead, then drilled/tapped a hole in the center and put a fender washer over the gears to keep them in place.

Gears5_sm.jpg

Gears6_sm.jpg

Here's a shot of both bulkheads with gears mounted.

Gears7_sm.jpg

Next up will be mounting the GPU and final assembly.  Stay tuned!

Mounting the GPU was a bit more involved than merely adding a bracket.  I had to first figure out how to mount a bracket directly to the card, then get precise measurements so the eyes were positioned perfectly through the front panel.

I ended up using the existing mounting tabs for the card's heat shield.  I drilled them out a bit so I could use pop rivets to secure the new bracket to its frame. 

GPU1_sm.jpg

Then I cut a piece of red acrylic to raise the card up to the correct height, and added an angle bracket to the bottom of it.

GPU2_sm.jpg

Finally I could mount it to the base.  I made a secondary bracket on the right side for the IO plate for added stability.

GPU3_sm.jpg

Getting the rest of the components installed..

Assembly1_sm.jpg

The front panel needed to be glued up before it could go on.

Frontface1_sm.jpg

After that set up, I mounted it to the case.

Assembly2_sm.jpg

Just about done..

Some shots of the CM Nepton 280 cooler mounted on the back side..

I swapped out the stock CM fans for a couple Enermax TB Vegas fans.

Nepton1_sm.jpg

Close up shot of the tubing slot

Nepton2_sm.jpg

And with the back fan grill mounted.

Nepton3_sm.jpg

Final pics coming up..

Here are the final pics.  I was unable to fit the doors properly due to the cooling tubes on the Nepton, and I didn't have time to make any adjustments, so I had to leave them off for now.  The case still looks good without them tho..

Final1_sm.jpg

Final2_sm.jpg

Final3_sm.jpg

Final4_sm.jpg

Final5_sm.jpg

Detail1_sm.jpg

Detail2_sm.jpg

Detail3_sm.jpg

Detail4_sm.jpg

Detail5_sm.jpg

Thanks again to ASUS for letting me be a part of this project, and to Cooler Master for providing the V1200 psu and Nepton 280 CPU cooler, ADATA for supplying the SSD's and memory modules, and finally Primochill for laser-cutting the acrylic and for the carbon fiber vinyl.

Sponsors.jpg

Archived