Eskimod 2.0

Todd K

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if you're not familiar with Avexir's Raiden RAM, essentially it's a DDR4 memory module with a tiny lightning tube on top.  You can check it out here.

raiden004b_by_tkrep-d9zmqhs.jpg

So clearly blue isn't going to fly in the Eskimod, so I have a couple of options for turning that blue into something that will match the project.  Transparent paint or color gel.

raiden005_by_tkrep-d9zmp6n.jpg

Now the transparent paint worked pretty darn well with my Jetflo fans last year.

raiden005b_by_tkrep-d9zmp6y.jpg

But I think I'm going to start with the less permanent solution: lighting color gels.  These gels are typically used with hot lights and should hold up fine in the case.  We'll see...  oh, we'll see.

I started with paper to make a template.  

raiden006_by_tkrep-d9zmp73.jpg

Traced it so that I could cut the gel on it.

raiden007_by_tkrep-d9zmp7m.jpg

Applied the gel and cut out the template.

raiden008_by_tkrep-d9zmp7x.jpg

Now the gel didn't want to fold around the ram very well so I taped it to the edge of the 3D printer bed sheet of glass, then used a heat gun.

raiden009_by_tkrep-d9zmp81.jpg

And voila!  It holds it's shape.

raiden010_by_tkrep-d9zmp8e.jpg

Some super thin double sided tape from the Downtown project.

raiden011_by_tkrep-d9zmp8j.jpg

Fits fairly nicely up the side of each plasma tube.

raiden012_by_tkrep-d9zmp8v.jpg

And there we go!  Instant yellow color filter.

raiden013_by_tkrep-d9zmp93.jpg

Um...  now I just need to nail down a stinkin motherboard so I can test it out.  Dang...

footer.jpg

So, based on the above I need to re-create the gel templates.  This time I'm going to create them as a full squared-off cover.

template001_by_tkrep-da034v1.jpg

template002_by_tkrep-da034vv.jpg

template003_by_tkrep-da034vr.jpg

template004_by_tkrep-da034ve.jpg

A fancier pic, but a better view of the gel cover.  Still going to have to paint the heat spreaders to match.

gelcover002_by_tkrep-da04a3n.jpg

Cheaps will be glad to hear I didn't use heat & glass this time.

footer.jpg

Well acrylic has arrived and building is ramping up.  Time to try and find my workbench under all the Christmas stuff...

workbench001_by_tkrep-da0ow8c.jpg

Ah!  There it is.

workbench002_by_tkrep-da0ow88.jpg

So for drilling acrylic I found these bits this spring.  They're for drilling glass and ceramics.  I presume they'll do okay on acrylic too.

tappit001_by_tkrep-da0owfk.jpg

And I already know I'm going to have to drill & tap some new holes in a bay reservoir I have coming.  So why not test it out today?

tappit002_by_tkrep-da0owfx.jpg

Test drilling seems to have gone quite well.  Needs a little clean up on the bottom of the holes.

tappit003_by_tkrep-da0owfq.jpg

And the tapping seems to have gone fairly well.  The plug is snug.

tappit004_by_tkrep-da0owfn.jpg

Now to cut out a motherboard tray.  I have an old piece of polycarbonate from a window of my first ever mod project.  Been sitting on a shelf for a year or two, so time to repurpose it.

mobotray001_by_tkrep-da0ow8q.jpg

And this is why you wear safety glasses folks.  Two chunks of cutting wheel went careening off of my face.

mobotray002_by_tkrep-da0ow8i.jpg

So after that I just finished it up with a hacksaw and some hand files.

mobotray003_by_tkrep-da0ow7u.jpg

mobotray004_by_tkrep-da0ow7m.jpg

Will be drilling some holes and mounting it directly onto the square tubing for uber support.

mobotray005_by_tkrep-da0ow7g.jpg

Early start on a long weekend, woohoo!  Began the day designing a bracket for the motherboard.  Thinking I can make it removable so that's it's easy to work on and install.

mobotray006_by_tkrep-da0stqo.jpg

Result:

mobotray007_by_tkrep-da0strs.jpg

And sound the angel music (aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!)  The acrylic has finally arrived!

acrylic001_by_tkrep-da0stsa.jpg

Much cutting later...

acrylic002_by_tkrep-da0stqw.jpg

acrylic003_by_tkrep-da0strl.jpg

acrylic004_by_tkrep-da0strh.jpg

Getting closer.  Finding that the hacksaw > jig saw > rotary tool.  Yikes, I just bought a pack of cutting wheels and two broke immediately.

acrylic005_by_tkrep-da0str4.jpg

And a quick fit test.  May have to sand a millimeter off around the edges.  Better too much than too little.

acrylic006_by_tkrep-da0strx.jpg

Cutting down the side panels and sanding them even this weekend.

panels001_by_tkrep-da0x439.jpg

Fit seems pretty good so far.  May have a millimeter or two to shave off the back side yet.

panels002_by_tkrep-da0x43r.jpg

panels003_by_tkrep-da0x43w.jpg

panels004_by_tkrep-da0x444.jpg

And the internal side panels still need notches cut out.

panels005_by_tkrep-da0x43e.jpg

Some final checks on measurements.  Two of the panels go outside and need some further sanding down of the edges.  The remaining two go inside the case and require some cuts for the motherboard tray, rear deck fans and top reservoir.  Just marking down the sanding and cut points for tomorrow.

panels006_by_tkrep-da0yhx5.jpg

panels007_by_tkrep-da0yhxb.jpg

panels008_by_tkrep-da0yhx7.jpg

Archived