V8 CM 09 Mod Contest Worklog

bigbazz

Welcome to my first mod :D

I have built half a dozen pcs prior to this but this is my first attempt at modding and watercooling and it has quickly grown on me.

The theme for my mod is a V8 engine. I started work on it a couple of months ago and came across this contest whilst browsing the site and I thought I'd share my worklog :D It is a little scattered and all over the but Ill try and catagorise each major part.

Hardware

Case - CoolerMaster CM 690

CPU - Intel Core i7 920

Mainboard - Gigabyte GA-EX58-EXTREME

Memory - OCZ 3x2gb 1600mhz

GPU - Gigabyte NVidia 260GTX 216

Power - Corsair HX-1000

Apologies for some of the poor image qualities

DSC00494.jpg

Alright ill start with one of the smaller mods.

DSC00497.jpg

My friend mr OCZ met with flat head screwdriver

DSC00502.jpg

And got a facelift

DSC00505.jpg

DSC00504.jpg

And the remains of the old heatspeader

Modding my graphics card was a little more challenging

I had an idea that graphics cards should have a window and a little more bling lighting

DSC00506.jpg

The Patient

DSC00507.jpg

DSC00508.jpg

DSC00509.jpg

And now my first major problem arose...

Unfortunately the heatsink I had purchased suited the old 260GTX and not the new one and due to the board design change a row of capacitors prevented the heatsink making contact so heatsink met with my friend mr dremel.

DSC00515.jpg

Voila we have a perfect fit now :D

DSC00516.jpg

DSC00517.jpg

I then cut out a spot for the window and for the tubing

DSC00527.jpg

A part off the old heatsink was cut so that I could reattach the orignal cover to the board

DSC00533.jpg

The underside of the completed cover. The left side has a new 70mm fan and the chunk of heatsink. The right has another couple of bits of the heatsink as well as a couple of LEDs

DSC00537.jpg

The final card all tubed up ready to go

DSC00539.jpg

Card with bling turned on

DSC00540.jpg

And close up

Case Dismantling

Unfortunately for some weird reason I didnt take any photos of the case before I dismantled it. I took alot of photos of how smaller sections were riveted together.

DSC00365.jpg

DSC00366.jpg

DSC00376.jpg

The hard drive cage and 5.25" cage sprayed with chrome paint

DSC00384.jpg

The full case

Case additions

DSC00390.jpg

PVC fittings to make the exhaust

DSC00521.jpg

and a coat of paint

DSC00525.jpg

new and old

DSC00388.jpg

various bits of mdf for making valve boxes

DSC00386.jpg

DSC00387.jpg

DSC00391.jpg

DSC00392.jpg

building up the valve boxes

DSC00377.jpg

homemade rad grill

DSC00380.jpg

DSC00381.jpg

DSC00531.jpg

And a lick of paint

DSC00530.jpg

and a couple of coolermaster 120s

The hole in the top is to fit the power switch. I decided pretty early on that I was going to have an ignition switch so I procured a quad bike ignition barrel off ebay.

DSC00349.jpg

DSC00350.jpg

The barrel did not have any momentary stage so after adding a spring to it we had a momentary ignition

DSC00376.jpg

I then fitted a barrel to protect the spring and mounted a couple of LEDs

Well thats covered most of the stuff that I have uploaded from my camera. Will post more later on :D

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is pretty neat especially for a first time mod. I gather your theme is automotive like an engine on a car? Could you share some of your plans regarding this?

Thanks :) Yeah the theme is based on a V8 engine. Whilst planning I had found another mod that looked like a V8 that was done using 2 of the same cases on a slight angle and while it looked great I thought certain elements were missing from it.

http://www.trendpimp.com/article/181/V8_Case_Mod.html

My plan was to make it look like a V8 and have the power of a V8. I also wanted to show off some internal workings but also have some of the insides lookinglike parts of an engine. My original plan was to build some pistons and possibly have them move. I started to work on this idea I have some pics which I will upload a bit later. I aborted it because it was going to be too difficult to execute. I was going to just have the pistons static but then I had a better idea. I tried to build an acrylic reservoir with little success. I found some bitspower cylindrical reservoirs which I am using for the pistons. I am also making a oil top up (fill port) which taps straight into the reserviors.

Looks like a good starting point for you own version of a V8 mod! If you try to show some kind of engine internals-Great, too! I will wait to see what you come up with as your project progresses. Funny, another ingenious use of wood for a mod like slipperskip...I must be missing out on its use :wink:

Kudos for being your first.

Cheers/Saludos

Looks like a good starting point for you own version of a V8 mod! If you try to show some kind of engine internals-Great, too! I will wait to see what you come up with as your project progresses. Funny, another ingenious use of wood for a mod like slipperskip...I must be missing out on its use :wink:

Kudos for being your first.

Cheers/Saludos

Thanks for your support, I've enjoyed watching your UFO come together :) Though I think slipperskips wood work is in a completely different league to mine :wink:

Well I think im due for another update, I had done a whole heap of work but it bit here and there a few bits are starting to come together. I did have an issue with a dremel dying on me but thank goodness for warranty :D

I decided upon making a memory cooler :D Its still a work in progress

DSC00566.jpg

And heres a shot of a semi complete outside made up of perspex and a bit of mesh I salvaged from the front facia

DSC00548.jpg

Dismantled a couple of 60mm fans for painting

DSC00553.jpg

And that was one version of the base plate for the fans to sit on I took about 4 shots before I got it how I liked I had problems with it cracking and holes were misaligned

DSC00554.jpg

Attached the fans but they sat a little skew if so I remade the base plate

DSC00556.jpg

Finally got it right and hooked up some leds and rejigged the fan wiring to run off one 3 pin header

DSC00549.jpg

I got my reservoirs and fan controller and few other bits earlier on

The 4 reservoirs are going to sit on one side of the case to represent the pistons

DSC00558.jpg

DSC00560.jpg

I got a bunch of brass fittings to hook up the reservoirs gave them all a shot of flat black to blend in with the base of the reservoirs.

DSC00559.jpg

Holes were cut into the top of the valve box for the tops of the reservoirs to sit in

DSC00564.jpg

Cut out some pvc pipe which needs to be given a sand prime paint and then add a window behind so you can see into the reservoirs

DSC00528-1.jpg

I did some work on the front facia

I took the front facia removed the mesh from the top and the 2 silver strips that ran down both sides as well as cut out the plastic mesh from behind the bottom section.

DSC00567.jpg

I bogged up both the sides from where the silver strips were and sanded it straight still needs the once over with a bit of wet and dry

DSC00570.jpg

DSC00572.jpg

Cut out a section of aluminium sheeting to place onto the bottom section to highlight the fan.

And there we are and so this concludes the next update on the V8 build more to come...

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah mate, you are making several of us nervous--no updates on a pretty cool mod, unless you are modding "stealth". Hope you don't drop the whole tamale on us at once down the road, most of us like to see the projects develop and I assure you, yours is a keeper!

Cheers/Saludos and don't make yourself scarce!

I've still been working on it :) I've had a few hiccups and study commitments which have slowed me down lately. I made a balls up with one part of my reservior piston which will require one section to be redone. I also sent off the lid for one of the reservoirs to my mates work to get it tapped to put in the fill port and unfortunately the lid cracked so hes got to make another one. I've also had my dremel die on me but has since been replaced so that should make life easier from here on in. I'm nearly at the stage where I can attach the piston cases to the sides of the case I'll upload some more pics in the next day or two to wet your appetites :P

Time for some updates :P

The front panel has been painted and pretty close to completed

DSC00384.jpg

before

DSC00551.jpg

inbetween

DSC00583.jpg

complete

Ive done some more work on the side

DSC00573.jpg

this is kind of how it will be laid out on each side

DSC00574.jpg

template for the fillet pieces to go between the box and the side panel

DSC00575.jpg

Cut out the clear panels for the window side

DSC00576.jpg

Cut some aluminium angle fix each panel to the side

DSC00581.jpg

Fixed a couple of strips to panel

DSC00578.jpg

Added some more detail to the piston housing

Well thats about it for the moment more updates to come :)

Archived