Project: FiFO - 2009 Mod Contest Entry

FrenkieNL

Project: FiFO - 2009 Mod Contest Entry

FiFO, stands for First In, First Out. What I am trying to achieve is that the computerparts that need cooling, have a flow of clean, fresh and cool air from the outside flowing by and exit through to the back. My main reason to make it, because I think that nowadays, the parts are being 'cooled' with allready warmed up air from other heat-emitting parts. So started drawing an air-duct around the CPU ( like I did in a lot of former casemods before ), but this time I extended the idea to the PSU and the GPU. These are the first sketches I made in Sketch-up.

The airducts are 80 mm plexitubes, and I'm trying to get transparant fans for them ( anyone an idea where I get them ? )

This rather technical part is also the introduction to the casemod part. ( can't really seperate one from another, now can you? ) So the plexi-airduct 'theme' is the general direction to form the rest of the case. I'll show you that later on.

What do you think, guys?

post-38252-13880422622585_thumb.jpg

post-38252-13880422623948_thumb.jpg

post-38252-13880422625169_thumb.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

FIFO

First In, First Out.

A casemod that is not to be taken too serious :D

I'm in just for the fun and I hope you dont compare it to any of the really good and cool casemods here on this forum.

Just enjoy the ride and laugh a bit with me. ( or about me, whatever you like )

Lets start with a simple office PC. Dumped for a faster and newer model. So this is considered scrap. It turned

out to be a P4-2800 Mhz, I added some memory I have left, 2+ GB. Has an AGP videocard with 64 meg onboard.

rest is even less important as far as I am concerned.

FIFO001.jpg

Damn, this is sooo boring.

FIFO002.jpg

Lets rip her apart, here goes the HDD rack and the 250 W PSU.

FIFO003.jpg

Top panel away. Loosened the front panel.

FIFO004.jpg

Front panel gone.

FIFO005.jpg

FIFO006.jpg

To tube that goes into the PSU needs to be seen, so out with some excess material.

FIFO007.jpg

side view.

FIFO008.jpg

Some 80 mm plexi tube.

FIFO009.jpg

The wires from the PSU look really ugly, and I have no resources to buy fancy mesh, so i used some simple

cable-wrap to cover it up.

FIFO010.jpg PSU

Here comes the top tube flowing its air into the PSU.

FIFO011.jpg

Dremelt a nice hole in the side, and smoothed out the edges.

FIFO012.jpg

Hmm, what is that ugly thing ?

FIFO013.jpg

Lets exchange it with this plexi fan with UV LEDs.

FIFO014.jpg

Dremelt it together ( hahaha ) Love this soldering tool.

FIFO015.jpg

Lets go crazy.

FIFO016.jpg

Special effect spray paint.

FIFO017.jpg

Lets not stop with just the PSU and the GPU... MOBO as well !

FIFO018.jpg

Voila !

FIFO019.jpg

There's a GPU underneath there somewhere .......

FIFO020.jpg

Like it so far ? :D

Aww gawd, everyone's loss that your dropping out. Even your "fun" mods are profound and creative! Different to say the least. Well..:

First, great starting point, a non pre-modded case (IMO, the best type to mod). Prehistoric hardware but the challenge is to kick it up a notch or two with some nifty cooling, soooo valid these days while we wait for better times.

Second, upgrading on the fly with stuff most of us have lying around (I have a dozen led fans of all sizes in my storage bin, both old and new--never know!). Wire wrap too, each kit has easily for two computers or more.

Thirdly, a stone-finish for an almost stone-age machine, sounds appropriate, heh-heh. The wife (you know, the one with the frying pan) did this finish on some planters & looked pretty good. Definitely not the shiny automotive finishes most are used to.

Ahh... plexi tubing, wish I could get hold of that on a retail level here in Cancun, not a "minimum order" of maybe 10 complete tubes when I just need a couple of meters. Happened with 1" pvc pipe, I needed 10 inches and they sold me half a pipe or 5 meters. What am I going to do with the rest?? See why the wife gets upset with my hobby?

Kudos Frenkie, I say more!

Cheers/Saludos

This is how the case looks now in daylight, without the masking tape.

FIFO021.jpg

Another viewpoint

FIFO022.jpg

I installed the PSU and connected the two main wires.

You can see the colors of the wires here, I want to make that black as well.

FIFO023.jpg

I stumbled onto these vases in the local dumpstore. I also found a perfect intact IKEA lamp.

The vases were dented, but that doesnt bother me too much.

What I am going to do with them ? Wait and see :)

FIFO024.jpg

First I started to cut the vases through the middle, lengthwise !

FIFO025.jpg

First vase cut.

FIFO026.jpg

FIFO027.jpg

The IKEA lamp also cut. This was aluminium.

FIFO028.jpg

Here all are cut in two.

FIFO029.jpg

I have some crazy plan for this, should fit nice in the theme of my FIFO mod.

:alien:

OMG, you painted the mobo too! Hadn't noticed it. Yes, I and several others on my site, are curious as to what you have in mind with the vases--vents one said, scoops said another, decoration for a Roman column?

Surprise use, pls!

Cheers and Saludos

OMG, you painted the mobo too! Hadn't noticed it. Yes, I and several others on my site, are curious as to what you have in mind with the vases--vents one said, scoops said another, decoration for a Roman column?

Surprise use, pls!

Cheers and Saludos

I'm really confuse, doesn't the paint mess up the MOBO?

looks really cool tho, I can't wait to see what are you going to do with the vases!

CHEERS! :cheers:

Surprise use, pls!

Cheers and Saludos

I'm really confuse, doesn't the paint mess up the MOBO?

looks really cool tho, I can't wait to see what are you going to do with the vases!

CHEERS! :cheers:

No it doesnt. :) You DO have to make sure not to paint anything that needs conducting ofcourse. :)

Sorry about the vases, guys, I got a bit crazy when I found them, just screaming to mod.

Lets get back to where we were before;

Mounting the plexi tube to the fan.

FIFO030.jpg

Hehe this foto looks really cool... I think I found a new avatar!

FIFO031.jpg

FIFO032.jpg

Now to use the second tube as part of the CPU cooling, I ran into a little problem.

This is the standard Intel cooler which was mounted.

FIFO033.jpg

When I turned it 90 degrees to get the aluminium cooling fans in line,

I cant mount it because of the rectangular shape.

FIFO034.jpg

So I use this AMD cooling block, which is perfect fit inside the Intel brackets.

FIFO035.jpg

So this was before........

FIFO036.jpg

And this is now.

FIFO037.jpg

Used some oldscool math to determine the hole in the tube for the airflow.

FIFO038.jpg

And here is the (coarse) hole in the bottom of the tube.

FIFO039.jpg

Here it is supposed to be mounted, so the airflow touches the AMD cooling block on its way out.

FIFO040.jpg

-

I just ran out of dremel cut-of discs, so it could be a while before I can cut again :D :D :D

Archived