Project "Ovni"/UFO from Mexico (2009 Mod Entry)-COMPLETE

PaPang

Hot off the press! Britain's Latest UFO File Raise New Puzzles:

http://www.google.com.mx/#hl=en&q=circu ... a791467b35

Ha! and people thought that the only UFO (OVNI-Objeto Volador No Identificado in Spanish) sightings were in Mexico! Just kidding but I've seen several! Well, back to Earth.....

DSCI000132.jpg

DSCI000230.jpg

DSCI000325.jpg

Since this part had around 10 coats of primer and paint, I let it set for around 16 hours but at a lower temperature (40°C)

Remember the left over acrylic hoop? Well, I decided to use it but I thought it was too big, so I cut in half with my dremel and I think it looks better now.

DSCI000133.jpg

DSCI000231.gif

The next big step is the outer paint and final finish. Since the fiberglass on many parts was not up to par for a shiny finish (thus the armor plating to help hide the defects), I am going also with a camouflage theme. Not the mottled usual camo that most people know, but rather a geometric camouflage scheme. This scheme was invented during WWI not so much as to make something invisible to the eye, but rather to fool the enemy about the shape and size of the camoed object. However on aircraft, the finish helps the ship to blend in with the sky with its different shapes of clouds and tones such as this

haunebuantartica2-1.jpg

How will I paint this? Well, I think that the use of stencils will work here, instead of taping and papering the shapes. It should also be faster and cheaper. Now to re-learn how to use stencils other than on lettering and numbers.

Man Hours Invested: 38 hours

$ Invested: $120.60 mn for 3 cans of paint.

-------------------------

Accumulated Man Hours:

Accumulated $ Invested:

Thanks for dropping by and Saludos and Cheers

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks sunnyxtreme, how are you getting along with your project? Don't worry if you feel your mod is not up to snuff cuz there are a lot of things to consider when judging, I'm sure. This is the first time I participate and do a worklog, as I mentioned before, but you have to wet your feet sometime/somewhere. Comments and seeing other logs really pushes you to another level--I guarantee it. I've done several upgrades to mine just seeing what and whom I am going up against. Heck, even an honorable mention is worth its weight in gold!

Just start posting, with your initial concept and go from there. You don't have a lot of time left (I'm going on 4 months) but do something to commemorate your initiation in this fine art, at this level. Comments are fine and appreciated but seeing do something is better--you could knock our socks off!

It's really nice to know PaPang, the way you inspire me and anyone else here (as my observation reading posts) to push to another level and go on to the limit and not contented backing out. Since most of you are halfway to the finishing touches, some modding entries might sprout out soon, i still have 30days and that's not a good number... decision time will be tonight.

Going back to your mod - Go, go, go PaPang!!!

Cheer and More Power!

Yup, just ask sunnyextremist about old school! I didn't know he was such an advanced modder until you mentioned it and he started his log. I may have misjudged him there but I just felt somehow that he was fooling around to see what was going on, heh-heh.

I am sure he is going to come up with something radical, maybe arm his satellite with a laser to shoot at my UFO! Just kidding. Good luck! And thanks for dropping by Cham_E (wow, long nick, I'll just abbreviate if you don't mind).

Cheers/Saludos

Yup, just ask sunnyextremist about old school! I didn't know he was such an advanced modder until you mentioned it and he started his log. I may have misjudged him there but I just felt somehow that he was fooling around to see what was going on, heh-heh.

I am sure he is going to come up with something radical, maybe arm his satellite with a laser to shoot at my UFO! Just kidding. Good luck! And thanks for dropping by Cham_E (wow, long nick, I'll just abbreviate if you don't mind).

Cheers/Saludos

Huwaaa, PaPang, nope I am not an advanced modder like the skills you have there, let's say I was looking at How they will or have done it, it is what I am after that looks like i was fooling around (i am not ready for this admittingly, I was really praying I could prepare to join the next - 2010 CM Contest). I never have the skills of using what you've got there (fiberglass, foam and a lot more... you gave me the interest in them apparently, so in return I have to share mine as well with electronics and LEDS). At least from the two of us (or we have to include our senior president slipperyskip to bring out something for the others to harness).

Bro, thanks for holding me on to this place, actually before you say DON"T QUIT - i already remove bookmark of this place.

I have to thank You, at least I wasn't expecting this.

The Sattelite theme - not my idea, i was watching Transformer 2, there I saw this Sattelite (one of the bad guy)

:bounce::cheers::bounce: cheer Brother.

Stencil time! After figuring out what to put, I free-handed a couple of shapes on styrene and started cutting the stencils.

DSCI000134.jpg

But when I reached for my spray adhesive, empty (or the propellant bled out)! I brought this can from the US, now to see if I can find it here in Cancun. Well, after spending a half a day searching, I stopped momentarily to collect my wits and get ahead on other details. BTW, ordering over the internet here in Mexico, unlike other places in the world, is frustrating because most vendors make you first deposit the cash in a bank and then they send the order out. Local delivery companies are used because Fedex and Ups charge too much, but are dreadfully slow. Also ordering one lonely can of spray adhesive is crazy, the freight and handling would make you shudder, so I have to find it here locally in some store. Today was not my lucky day, maybe tomorrow or day after.

Well I had to throw out the assembly I had previously made for the power source and the hdd because, after modifying the upper dome, it would not close. This is what I had previously done, a couple of weeks ago.

DSCI00106.jpg

Out you go you misfit!

I reinvented how to secure the power source with some epvc corner blocks and 3 velcro strips I had on this computer I'm using to post (replaced the velcro with stiff wire, no messy wiring yet).

DSCI000912.jpg

Now how to secure the hdd? I got the idea from Kahij and his Ares Flow mod--use acrylic to make a base! So I searched through my stockpile of left overs and came up with a piece of adequate size but only 1/8" or 3mm thick. If I reinforce it, that should do it.

Bending with my industrial heat gun

DSCI000425.jpg

DSCI000521-1.jpg

Hint: I used an old chopping board which my wife had thrown out because it was not flat anymore. This included its edges which were sort of round. The roundness of the board caused the bend to pucker up a bit, so if you are going to bend acrylic and want a sharp bend, use either a new piece of wood with a good and sharp 90° angle or use a metal strip or sheet with a smooth and sharp edge. That way you will get nice and professional bends like Kahij's. Since this is more functional than for looks, I used the piece as is. It wobbles a bit, but is not a deal breaker.

DSCI00116.jpg

Fan hole made and separator blocks added, and below measuring for screw holes.

DSCI000716.jpg

The final product with the hdd cooling fan in action. I could have bent the sides if the piece of acrylic had been large enough which I found out while tracing. The sides are glued only which makes it look a little messy. If it were visible, I would have bent it.

DSCI00126.jpg

Now for a fitting. this should do the trick, good riddance clearance problems!

DSCI000135.jpg

Time to work on the one and only "window". I have the window but no framework. I luckily found some scraps of acrylic cut very thin so I bent them on my "metal mold" with my heatgun so they would fit the window sides.

DSCI000232.jpg

which goes with this

DSCI000221.jpg

to cover this

DSCI000616-1.jpg

But wait! I have to paint first before gluing the window in. Back to the spray adhesive. Hope to find it tomorrow.

Man Hours Invested: 11 hours

$ Invested: $154.50 mn for leds, battery holder, hinges , screws and an ice cream cone

-----------------------------

Accumulated man hours:

Accumulated $ Expense:

Thanks for dropping by, not a lot done but necessary.

Cheers/Saludos

Hi nicky, saw you checked out the Dragon by thechoozen, see what acrylic can do to a mod? Put leds thru the edges and kapow! Heard sunnyextremist is pretty handy with this type of work (good evening over here).

What a coincidence that you two showed up: old school and new school! Pay a lot of attention to sunny's mod nicky, ideas and how-to-do all in one big taco!

A lot of strategically placed leds, especially thru acrylic make for one hot mod! I will myself be adding more leds than I had originally planned but the payoff, if done right, is big. And yes sunnyestremist, I will be keeping a close eye on your project which I hear will be done by an accomplished modding Sensei ( a guy called sunny). Kudos and my sincere respect! I knew you had something up your sleeve when you first showed up. Good luck on getting your things.

Cheers and Saludos

Archived