Project "Ovni"/UFO from Mexico (2009 Mod Entry)-COMPLETE

PaPang

To tell the truth Max, this was the first time it has ever happened to me. This cpu was given to me by my brother (blood-not the ones on the forum, heheh) on a visit I made to the States. I carefully stowed it in the little plastic case (has a sponge for the pins), put in my pocket and brought it back to Mexico on the plane. How did it get bent???? Those little cases are pretty good cuz they are the ones that the cpus are shipped in the first place from the manufacturer and I use them all the time to transport cpus from one place to another with no mishaps. I surely bumped into something, somewhere, sigh....

The modding gods were on my side cuz nary a pin was lost to my good fortune! But the pain was that my eye sight is just not what it used to be and using a magnifying glass is a first. I remember P4s had pins large enough to straighten with a mechanical pencil but these are really tinny. Used a thin paring knife to get the spaces back and a jewelers screwdriver to push the darn pins to more or less their positions. I had over a dozen pins bent and the hardest as you know, are the ones in the middle.

When I try out the mobo and installation, I'll find out if there was any real damage. One question: as far as I understand, our mods have to be functional, right? No respectable contest that I know, will let just a modded case compete, am I right? Judges usually ask for a pic with the mod next to a monitor, showing that it works. I may post this question again in the proper thread so all others can see.

Thanks for dropping by and as usual, ALL (good and bad-I'm a grownup) types of comments (specially personal) are welcome! Moderators are modders (usually) too and have a right to comment and hooray for the ones like Maxsession's!

Cheers and saludos

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well thankfully that it was not an intel 775 socket!, those that have the pins in the mobo!

When you try to straight one, you bend a capacitor! :lol: (someone told me... no that it happened to me :roll: )

and my guess about the functional computer is that yes, it has be working and with the webpage of coolermaster in the monitor, why do a computer mod if you are not going to use it as a computer? if that's the case I can fill a case with earth, convert it into a plant base and say that's my mod?

A long time ago I built a s.754 in the wrong position and I bent several pins and also cut one of them.

After a lot of research on the Internet, I discovered that the cutted pin was unnecessary because they hadn't function in my processor model...

By the time we found the bent pin is scary, but with a bit of calm will solve everything.

PaPang, I'm waiting to see the UFO flying around ... more pictures, more updates. :bounce:

less benter and more work bro lol same goes to me too :D

Hey nicky, glad to see you around! Funny that you're in a seaside resort area like Cancun (Pattaya): the soft sea breeze, beaches, gals in skimpy swim suits, warm sea waters, night clubs. Funny though, I haven't been to the beach or the hotel zone in a year! Once we live in "paradise" we get sort of jaded. Any ways, we can tell the other guys: "Eat Your Hearts Out! Just kidding, "paradise" is sometimes overrated when you live there. Also makes you drink a lot of beer/ale with this hot climate! Had to stop and lost my "beer belly". Now I drink a lot of water and mod, heheh.

A long time ago I built a s.754 in the wrong position and I bent several pins and also cut one of them.

After a lot of research on the Internet, I discovered that the cutted pin was unnecessary because they hadn't function in my processor model...

By the time we found the bent pin is scary, but with a bit of calm will solve everything.

PaPang, I'm waiting to see the UFO flying around ... more pictures, more updates. :bounce:

Aha Asgneto, you fell for the effimeral s. 754! Well, me too :oops: I have an Athlon 64 +2800 that my wife still uses and yes, it will work with 64 bits but barely, hehe. Nicky wasn't as fortunate as you, he had to return the processor with the broken pin, and as I understand, you have to wait a looonnnng time (Thailand time=Mexico time). Did you see the discussion on "functional" computers in yAu's thread? I say yes, that they work. A mod that does not work is not a real mod, do you agree? You have to show off all that fancy hardware you obtained after all! Same goes for nicky and the mint he has invested in cool stuff.

And yes, my plan is to land the OVNI on your LUNAR SERENITY before the contest ends (we suppose), heheh.

Thanks for dropping by guys, always nice to chat with great modders and great chaps. Will always have time for that.

Cheers and Saludos

This is Gaby, PaPang's wife: My husband asked me to let you know that he is not feeling well to comment or post as usual his project notes. The problem is that he pinched a nerve on his neck and shoulder on the left side, somehow since Monday and he says that it hurts him much to move in certain positions or ways. It hurts also to type and he is not sleeping well and feels tired. He asked me to ask all of you to pick up the posts that he cannot do and he will continue to work as he can on his mod. He will visit as always and wishes all of you finish on time and good luck.

Saludos

Archived