Project "Ovni"/UFO from Mexico (2009 Mod Entry)-COMPLETE

PaPang

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dear papang i was just saying that on a 12v rail with approx 12 amps you can put more led's safely ,consider power rather then voltage. 12*12= 144 watts ok

this meaning that an average led takes 2v*.5a= 1 watt this mean that you could use 140 average leds. that is all using parallel set up you can actually have 10 rows of 14 leds each that is all and for every row using a 10kohm resistor so you drop the voltage to 2v for every row but keeping the current stably for the next row that is all.

dear papang i was just saying that on a 12v rail with approx 12 amps you can put more led's safely ,consider power rather then voltage. 12*12= 144 watts ok

this meaning that an average led takes 2v*.5a= 1 watt this mean that you could use 140 average leds. that is all using parallel set up you can actually have 10 rows of 14 leds each that is all and for every row using a 10kohm resistor so you drop the voltage to 2v for every row but keeping the current stably for the next row that is all.

Ohh Juan, you put me to shame! I was going to be a chemical engineer and took 3 (I failed 2 of them) courses of electricity in the university, and you might suppose why I ended up an economist. I am really bad in physics, integrated calculus and vector analysis, organic chemistry, electricity, fortran (programming in general), cobol, and a few more.

I barely understand what you mentioned as you are probably an engineer and programmer. Wattage vs voltage? Oh my, a bad reminder of my university days!

Thanks MstJuan!

Cheers and Saludos

P.D. You are posting a lot--you really needed a rest! And I told my wife what you said in another thread, "I supported you 26 years, now you support me a few while the recession passes over!" Hahah, I don't think she wants to listen!

well women are women and god created them with one single peace of our body ( that is a chauvinist thought lol) well if she never work she will not start now mate. yes from today work again but i will leave early so i have time to work on the project and i will continue to chat right now i am looking at the possibility to move to the uk.

btw mate P = v*r p being power units (watts) v being voltage units (volts) r being resistance units ( ohms) i being current units( amps)

then if p=v*r and v=i*r

therefore we know that p=i2*r right?

know you led's what mechanical charateristics they have? meaning nominal voltage , current consumptions and internal resistance with all this factors you can balance a circuit very easily. mate

You see Juan (that is the name of my son too and was the name of my father), and you thought these threads were just for showing worklogs! I have to take back some of what I said, my wife did work when we first came to Cancun. She was a secretary in Mexico City but when we moved to Cancun, she got a job in an airline and was there for almost 9 years, till we had our son. Being an airline employee got you a bunch of perks: flight passes (free or almost free), discounts with hotels, car rentals, tours, restaurants, etc, besides making a good salary (I'm talking of over 20 years ago--the golden age of airlines, unlike today that are a mess and very bad salaries). We would take a month or more a year to travel to an area of the world: North America, South America, Europe, Asia, etc. all on the cheap (Eurailpass, B&Bs, and whatever that was discounted ). Since I had my own businesses after a while, she also helped with the administrative and banking chores until it was time to pick up Juan from school. My son left to study the university (college) in the USA 4 years ago and is now on his Masters degree other there too. When our son left is that she took a "rest", but that is going on 5 years now! When I closed my businesses this past Dec. 2008, I told her it was time for me to rest my 5 years and she support me, heheh. Well, suffice to say it fell on deaf ears and we go about our own chores, she with her church activities and me with my modding. We will sit out the recession and rethink things when that happens.So you see: impasse!

Hey good for your chance to go to the U.K. It will be a big change from Malta. And I know that companies (even governments) are pressing their employees and contractors more due to the pressure of the recession, but you do have to rest or you will be in bad shape after a while. They know that but will only relent when you start yelling that you are exhausted! So I suggest you start yelling and screaming!

Thanks again for the formulas. I will copy and paste them in my notes.

Oh my, that is the problem with "older" modders, we look like we may "fall apart" in a contest, heheh. Luckily I don't have osteoarthritis yet because I do a lot of exercise and I smoke but don't inhale much.

So far I knew where I got this, by the time I got involved in daily bending acrylics on my ovenlike bender and afterwards will accidentally wash the hand, presto!!! - some aching fingers. I do have exercises too. hahah, I am all alone, I can mod straight 24 hours!!! And yes it's true, I am an old modder like You! the two of us will never fall, right!

Now I can see Ohm's Law here... As for me, The secret in using so many LEDs in a mod is another power supply - a simple power supply will do the trick (an adaptor). Just my one cent on the discussion.

Was that "Ohm's Law"? My trauma with engineering makes me forgetful and why not say it, slow to accept how easy some things really are (the first 3 led array for ex.). However, like all enthusiasts, once I get the hang of it, watch out!

If we survived hurricanes, what else can stop us, heheh? Funny you mentioned bending acrylic and washing your hands. One of my businesses (the one that closed last) was a frozen Popsicle factory. The brine (salt water) used to freeze was -20°C and the freezers to store the product were kept at -5°C. I personally worked in production for about 10 years and yes, sometimes when I had to dip my hands in the brine, I would "warm" my hands with tap water from the faucet. Everyone said that I would have arthritis, but as you see my hands in the photos, a lot of veins popping up, but no arthritis! Now if you bent acrylic 8-10 hours X 7 days a week x 10 years (for ex.), I would see how you could get this, but I suppose, it depends on the person. I had a worker for 20 years work the factory and he has nothing! Once I let him go, he went back to construction and the only thing that happened was that he lost weight (I told my employees that the only "bad" thing that happened when someone worked for me was that they got fat!-easy work and easy money, ahh..those were the days!).

Shall we get back to our mods? Always a pleasure sunny.

Cheers and Saludos

Has anyone received the latest CM newsletter? There is another contest for crazy uses of a pc or CM product. No rules tho so what can we enter? Anyways, rushing like most of us that had mods in progress when we entered the contest, I tried out the liquid paint mask I mentioned in the previous post with sort of mixed results and the TIP of the day with this is that you should use it on relatively well finished surfaces (such as on a flat side window of a computer). The mask will tend to seep into tiny cracks and crevices and not come off. I then have to spend a lot of time digging out what I can with a darn toothpick! Well, learned another thing, no doubt about that! What I did do was get an idea of how the paint would look.

This is how it looks before the last color:

DSCI000428.jpg

I missed the taping and painting pics, just found the scrubbing one at the wash basin, very dark due to it being night time. Am I in a hurry or not?!

DSCI000622.jpg

and the final product:

DSCI000719.jpg

I know that the photos look ok, but close scrutiny will get me a lot of criticism, I will have to retouch the paint. I also noted that vertical lines do make it "look" fatter, just like vertical stripes on clothes, make people look taller. I didn't exactly want it to look taller (maybe it is just me).

My wife (the one with the frying pan for Frenkie) asked me to place the acrylic rings on top of the paint to see what it would look like:

DSCI00109.jpg

DSCI000913.jpg

DSCI000817.jpg

The second ring is a little crooked, but what say you? One ring, two rings or all three should be glued on?

Thanks for dropping by and your opinions are greatly valued.

Man Hours Used: 18 hours

$ Invested: Artist chalk set $74.50

Chrome spray paint 99.00

Grey paint 43.00

Total $216.50

---------------------

Accumulated Man Hours:

Accumulated $ Invested:

Cheers and Saludos

Archived