Project "Ovni"/UFO from Mexico (2009 Mod Entry)-COMPLETE

PaPang

I wasn't planning on doing too much with the rear but seeing how meticulous some mods were (Maciel and slipperyskip), I decided to give the final touches to the lower part that I had done a couple of weeks ago.

DSCI000621.jpg

Of course, I could not forget my Papang BizRigs sticker (this was the only flat surface I could use). Before someone goes off on "sponsorships", I declare that it is not a legally constituted business and has no profit motives whatsoever. "PBR" is a tongue-in-cheek take on a business I once had that sold computer exclusively to myself (for tax reasons) and has not existed for a couple of years. It only assembled business computers (with no mods either) and I sold myself over a dozen machines over several years as the need arose for increasing the size of the network in my businesses (all closed down by Dec 2008-you can imagine why). My latest mods all carry this sticker (I will change it swapping the gold star in the middle for the Mexican flag) and was the last one I had.

I also worked on the 11 red leds that go on the shoulder of the mod, below a double acrylic ring.

11ledred2009-08-30.jpg

I stopped momentarily until I finish painting the exterior of the upper dome and leading edge. I stowed it aside and just needs 4 more solders to work. And yes, I am proud to say that I finished it in a couple of hours vs. the half day it took me to solder the 3 leds in the legs.

DSCI000718.jpg

Next, a new way to paint the exterior camouflage on the upper part.

(continued)

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome back !!!!

I was anxiously waiting for news ...

Glad you're back.

Stop smoking would not be a bad idea at all... addition to health benefits, would

a good economy to invest in more "MODS". hehehehehe

so modders beware, you CAN get PAINFUL nerve ailments while modding!

Yes, a lot of ailments...The one that I have right now is Finger Osteoarthritis on both hand, very painful although not nerve ( two fingers are 50% functional forever).

And smoking modders too!!! Opps, was that you, anyway slow down a little bit with that stick of cigarette PaPang. I was once a smoker.

Yoo Papang, my friend ! You scared the *** out of me. I missed your comments allready, it even crossed my mind that something was wrong ! Please be carefull and first think about yourself and your loved ones. Modding should be relaxing, so take it easy man ! :)

Welcome back !!!!

Stop smoking would not be a bad idea at all... addition to health benefits, would

a good economy to invest in more "MODS". hehehehehe

Hahaha, it is my last "vice" Asgneto! (I stopped drinking). If I stop that, I will have to become a monk!

HI mate if i can tell you something , i was watching the drawing of the leds. instead of making them in series why you don't do them in parallel and use a 10 k for every for even 10 leds .just an idea.

It is parallel, no? Since I'm not very good in electricity, I have to use these "guides" and in series, the consumption of the 11 leds by passes by a lot what a normal 12v line can give. The only thing I remember is that there is a maximum of 4 leds (3v because it will not work for ub blue or ub white which consume 3.5v, I would have to reduce it to 3leds) for 12 v. line feed and even then should have a resistor so that they last (very small). These guides have not failed me yet and the leds do last a long time. BTW, this is the first time I do more than 3 leds in one array as I do not have an electrician cousin like Asgneto (lucky fellow, heheh).

so modders beware, you CAN get PAINFUL nerve ailments while modding!

Yes, a lot of ailments...The one that I have right now is Finger Osteoarthritis on both hand, very painful although not nerve ( two fingers are 50% functional forever).

And smoking modders too!!! Opps, was that you, anyway slow down a little bit with that stick of cigarette PaPang. I was once a smoker.

Oh my, that is the problem with "older" modders, we look like we may "fall apart" in a contest, heheh. Luckily I don't have osteoarthritis yet because I do a lot of exercise and I smoke but don't inhale much. I used to smoke cigars but my wife didn't like the smell and they were more expensive. I tried a pipe but it weighed too much for my lips so I had to settle for the mini cigars--cigarettes. I suppose that one day, I will have to give up smoking altogether but by then, I will have to be confined in a monastery! Ohh.. and they said I drink too much coffee too (10-12 cups a day).

However, I think I beat you--I already had a heart attack around 12 years ago--it made me change my life-style. Less money but happier, that is when I became serious about modding because I had to limit myself to no more than 10 hours working. I also (unemployed) don't dedicate more than 10 hours a day to my mod (my new "work"?). Today: Mexico vs. Costa Rica in soccer (football) for classification to the world cup!

Cheers and Saludos, my friends

Yoo Papang, my friend ! You scared the *** out of me. I missed your comments allready, it even crossed my mind that something was wrong ! Please be carefull and first think about yourself and your loved ones. Modding should be relaxing, so take it easy man ! :)

Well, my passionate friend, I thank you and did you get yourself back into the contest officially like I asked in your thread? You can lead quite a few of us towards the end!

Cheers and Saludos

Back to the worklog now. Remember that I said that I was going to have to do 2 sets of stencils for the top part paint? After testing various sets (and practically using up all of the remaining spray adhesive), I had no other choice than to use masking tape. OMG, with all those irregular patterns! TIP) However, going back to my modeling years(scale models, NOT the other), I remembered the "liquid mask" trick. A home made liquid mask simply is: 90% PVA glue (white in most cases like Elmer's) + 10% dish washing liquid (not for dish washers but the regular type). It is thick enough to apply by brush and will not drip or run, and with the dish washing liquid added, it is easy to wash off and PREVENTS the glue from adhering to the surface.

First the ingredients:

DSCI000816.jpg

The bottle that says "Chitol 5000" is the PVA glue (Resistol is the complete name), it is mixed together and since mine was very old (15 years atleast), I added about 15% water to the mix.

Since it had been a while and I'm using different materials, I tested on a piece of styrene, drew a line for the cut-off and:

DSCI00108.jpg

Applied the mix to the styrene up to the line.

DSCI00127.jpg

and applied primer here for fast results. I waited about 30 min. for the primer to harden and then put the whole piece under water and brushed with a stiff brush:

DSCI00137.jpg

Well, I'll be... it still works and I use up the old glue, great to clear the closet and get rid of some more old materials.

So I proceeded to tape the outline for the color, and spread the mixture around the tape for over spray. Since it is night time, a bad photo:

DSCI00163.jpg

but imagine the time it would have taken to cut paper and tape the color outline...phewww!!

I will continue tomorrow with better light and photos so that you can more clearly see the results.

Cheers and Saludos and hasta mañana

Archived