TRON CM Final Pics

Boddaker

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, so as some of you may already know, I had a bit of a set-back last weekend, and I had to re-do some things. Seems I miscalculated my spacing on the ribs, so I had to widen the rear fender a bit.

Here it is with the correct rib spacing. It's supposed to bolt to these!

Fairing_Mistake_sm.jpg

So I hacked it into three pieces,

Fairingfix1_sm.jpg

Added some cardboard and duct tape backing,

Fairingfix2_sm.jpg

Plasti-Paste to the rescue!! lol

Fairingfix3_sm.jpg

Been smoothing it out, adding bondo, and sanding, so I'm just about back to where I was on Saturday. So with that out of the way, I could finally begin assembly!

I got both main ribs attached and some cross supports in, like the dual 120mm fan mount.

Assembly3_sm.jpg

I scuffed them up and painted the back face white to give it a lighter blue look, and to aid in the glow.

Fans1_sm.jpg

Then I opted for these Enermax Appollish fans for some bling. It has different modes for the leds. Here it's got a triple blade rotation going. Reminiscent of a Flux Capacitor. :)

Fans2_sm.jpg

Here's the "all-on" setting. I can also adjust the speed of the fans with the controller.

Fans3_sm.jpg

Next up is the power supply. Finally getting some components in! :D

All right, good progress today! I got the power supply mounted, as well as the whole bottom IO plate made so I could install the motherboard and video cards. woot!

Ok, the power supply didn't quite fit at first lol. This is just one of those things that no amount of forethought and planning in Sketchup could prevent. With all the ribs in place, I couldn't work the psu into it's spot.

PSU1_sm.jpg

It wouldn't slide in sideways either. This is how I originally envisioned it going in, but for whatever reason, it was just too tight clearance-wise. (I blame it on the power supply's bulging rear mesh!)

PSU2_sm.jpg

So, I had to rethink the psu situation, and come up with a plan that will work better in the end. I decided to make a mounting flange that will bolt to the psu, then attach to the bottom framing. This way the psu can just drop down and out if I need to remove it later. So first thing was to start removing the lower portions of the ribs. Center rib went first.

PSU3_sm.jpg

Then I glued in some cross supports before cutting away the top and bottom rib sections. These supports will be where the flange will screw into.

PSU4_sm.jpg

Then I whipped up a couple handle-looking pieces, that will re-attach the rib sections together.

PSU5_sm.jpg

Here's the top handle glued in.

PSU6_sm.jpg

And the bottom handle glued, with the bottom rib section removed as well. Now the power supply can slip up into its place without any obstruction.

PSU7_sm.jpg

Here's the flange I made which will secure the psu to the framing.

PSU8_sm.jpg

With that done, I could turn my attention to the IO plate. I went to town on this piece, measuring and cutting all the openings and never once thought to grab the camera. So all you get is the finished pics, sorry!

IOplate1_sm.jpg

The plate is secured to the ribs via tabs and 4 screws (2 on each side). I incorporated the DVI and HDMI openings into this plate as well, so I could do away with the rear video cards' IO bracket.

IOplate2_sm.jpg

A close up of the motherboard IO ports.

IOplate3_sm.jpg

And a close up shot of the video card ports. the DVI screws are what holds the video card in place, so no need for any IO bracket screws.

IOplate4_sm.jpg

Here's a shot of the psu installed with the flange. I used 4 thumb screws to hold it in place. Two of which are shared by the IO plate.

PSU9_sm.jpg

Now that I finally have some hardware in the case, I can start installing some watercooling gear. If I can be as productive tomorrow as I was today, I might even be able to do some leak testing. Let's just hope I don't stumble upon any more harsh realities lol.

Thanks for reading! :)

Thanks Frenkie and Skullen!

Getting the watercooling system in, running hoses and such. This will be a single loop, running Primochill's new Myriad bay res with D5 pump, going into a custom curved radiator, then thru the components (cpu, chipsets, vid cards) and back to the res. (sorry some pics are a bit blurry)

WC2_sm.jpg

WC3_sm.jpg

Here's the custom curved radiator I had made specifically for the TRON bike. There was no room for a conventional 240 rad, so with the help of Moddersmart, I had a curved one made up to take advantage of the available space around the wheel hub. Working in Sketchup, I made a rough model, and sent the specs along with reference pics to them and this is what I got back. :D

Radiator1_sm.jpg

Radiator2_sm.jpg

Radiator3_sm.jpg

Here's a shot of the mounting method I devised to hold the rad. Two 1/2" square acrylic rods glued in between the two main ribs, one on top and one on the bottom.

Radiator4_sm.jpg

Radiator5_sm.jpg

And here's the radiator mounted on the bike.

Radiator6_sm.jpg

And a shot with the front fairings on with the wheel rings. My goal was to make the radiator act as the front tire for the bike, and I think I achieved that look.

Radiator7_sm.jpg

I will need to add some sort of bottom plate to make sure air goes through the rad and not out the bottom. Who knows how well this will cool all the parts, but at this point, who cares! lol

I thought I'd throw in a window shot of the bike. It's finally coming together!

Testfit12_sm.jpg

Thanks for tuning in. :)

Agree Frenkie! Just to get an idea, how much would a rad like that cost? It opens a world of possiblities for more aesthtic mods--and it was seen here!

Cheers and Saludos

P.D.) Learning soooo much from one of the great creative modders of the world and for that: THANKS A MILLION! Your worklogs just get better and better too, a pre-requisite to really become a world-class modder in my book.

Archived