USS EURISKO - Intrepid Mark II Class

ASPHIAX

Simply amazing work, congratz, my man! I too work foam, mdf, acrylic, dapron (styrene) and fiberglass but this build would possibly strain my resources (mental and manual) to the limit. Altho I might not do something similar out of respect as should any respectable modder should, it will definitely send me down more challenging and innovative directions. Except for the laser cuts and clay (I think worth investigating), the rest is obtainable in my home town in Mexico which is NOT the best place to be in for modding. Sooo lacking in many things and soo expensive and absolutely no sponsorships.

BTW my last proyect was a hot air balloon so we are into flying things, hehe. How many hours have you invested in the project and $$$ (if possible). In my book any good project takes over 500 man hours (planning and dreaming not included), BUT for case materials I try to shoot for less than $200 usd which is a very modest budget.

Cheers and Saludos

P:D:) Ooops forgot to comment that I too am very picky (perfectionist) but a contest is a contest and you have to finish inorder to have your work fully appreciated. If I cannot get in all I want, I weed out what can hold me back and finish, sometimes within minutes of the time limit. I later, in a ver. 2.0 finish it up as I would like which makes great waves and hubbub in a forum. An unfinished mod in a contest just fades away and is forgotten, you know what I mean.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Simply amazing work, congratz, my man! I too work foam, mdf, acrylic, dapron (styrene) and fiberglass but this build would possibly strain my resources (mental and manual) to the limit. Altho I might I might not do something similar out of respect as should any respectable modder should, it will definitely send down more challenging and innovative directions. Except for the laser cuts and clay (I think worth investigating), the rest is obtainable in my home town in Mexico which is NOT the best place to be in for modding. Sooo lacking in many things and soo expensive and absolutely no sponsorships.

BTW my last proyect was a hot air balloon so we are into flying things, hehe. How many hours have you invested in the project and $$$ (if possible). In my book any good project takes over 500 man hours (planning and dreaming not included), BUT for case materials I try to shoot for less than $200 usd which is a very modest budget.

P:D:) Ooops forgot to comment that I too am very picky (perfectionist) but a contest is a contest and you have to finish inorder to have your work fully appreciated. If I cannot get in all I want, I weed out what can hold me back and finish, sometimes within minutes of the time limit. I later, in a ver. 2.0 finish it up as I would like which makes great waves and hubbub in a forum. An unfinished mod in a contest just fades away and is forgotten, you know what I mean.

Thansk man !

I have calculated about 260 hours right now and it needs more work. Case is around 1000 euro's with the epoxy and apoxy clay being very expensive.

I Have run into problems though with me being a perfectionist and technie issues.

I could have done the remaining work by making simple design work in the depron and be ready for the deadline. Or I could have lived with the noise the servo array was making but unfortunately that is not the way I want to play this game. I want to stand for quality and if that takes more time because I need to redo a piece 3 times, so be it! This ship is a tribute to one of my favorite shows ever and I would do damage to the brilliant work they have delivered by not doing my absolute best also or showing off a less then perfect ship because I want to win. Creating the perfect ship is winning for me ! (damn I am more Borg then I thought)

With around 155.000 page views in 4 months on the forums I think my mod will neither be forgotten of will fade away, you know what I mean ...

Better luck next time!

Thanks man !

building something this large (its over 5 feet) and with no reference to materials or techniques does bring a large number of challenges.

funny though how stuff I never did before went ok and stuff that was easy went bad. Lets blame those Gremlins .. ehh Borg ... ehh Gremlins ....

I am going to do my best to get it as far as possible , but it will not have all the intended features.

sunday morning I will do a proper fotoshoot to show how far it has come.

Here is a small update of the work of yesterday evening.

(last night I did not work, I watched Tron, 2001 space odyssey en Moon after each other with a case of beer next to the sofa to comfort me after realising I wont make it completely)

Round LED PCB for the main deflector was intended to be a running light but ...

50fa85.jpg

Warp 9!

2itisg3.jpg

The Bussard Collectors (red leds) I had to do 3 times to get it right, very time consuming

2ivcso3.jpg

Even if not finished, it is a sure winner for one of the "Bonus" prizes. Unfortunately, it will not be able to compete again to get the honors that it merits and deserves, a bummer.

Many of us will probably never see the conclusion because we are not into a lot of forums out of our own home forums, but as I mentioned I relate to the techniques, I would enjoy seeing the end and final pics, even if it is version 1.0. Like FrenkieNL told me, a mod never ends but if you are a dedicated and serious hobbyist, bigger and greater things will pop up in the future. I would appreciate a link to one of the forums where it is posted, preferably in English or Spanish as the translator(s) is/are not fit for prime time yet. Thnx!

Cheers and Saludos

Hi Papang,

Thanks man, I will upload a video of the state at sunday, so sorry its about 90% complete.

Its featured on all the big sites like bit-tech, bestcasescenario and am talking to collermaster for transfer of this log tol the "normal" forum.

FrenkieNl is right, this one will probably never be truly finished, I already now have a large number of additional idea's like this one :

The Delta Flyer, maybe an idea for the mouse ?!?

b6yrzm.gif

Carved a quick little model from the foam, looks kinda nice ...

m8nw4m.jpg

Let me see if i can build a mouse in there.

The dimensions are off, but this is just a test right

156cozp.jpg

Actually went a lot faster than i anticipated ...

no7jph.jpg

Those good old sateh spikes ...

vrrndu.jpg

2 spiks on the mouse buttons !

i4k1hz.jpg

et voila, a custom mouse

25ausg3.jpg

Now need to build a detailed well proportined model, cover it with fiber, cut out the mouse buttons, glue a small nut on the back of it, glue the spikes on it, connect them to the button hardware, cover the connection with a little spring or something to keep it in place and airbrush it ....

30lm3xe.jpg

Hi,

This is my final post for the 2011 casemod contest. I have worked my @ss off trying to get it finished before the deadline but I have not succeded.

The EURISKO is at 90% complete and I estimate it will take aniother 4 to 6 weeks before I can finish it in total. (I have to rewrite all the programming for the lasers and servo array as I have switched platform to ARDUINO based) Also work on the exterior with the intricate detailling in depron plastic done by hand takes more time then anticipated but I do not want to compromise the quality after spending at least 300 hours already on it.

Well here are the latest pictures and the final movie, hope you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed building it !

2pu0sqh.jpg

2lj6nti.jpg

6r6iv5.jpg

a11u09.jpg

x1avjp.jpg

21e21ia.jpg

Thansk for watching and please let me know if you like the result (even though its not finished yet!!!)

Best Regards and Happy Modding !

ASPHIAX

Thanks for the references and best of luck! The mouse concept definitely is cool, more in favor of the theme. A sure winner of MOM at Bit-Tech when done, which I visit every once in a while just to keep things up-to-date and in perspective. I'll join when I fell I have the required level but without leaving the home forum in Spanish. Better to be the head of a mouse than the tail of a lion, like they say over here (kidding of course). You would be another example to shoot for in the future for Latin modding, which is still in diapers as most know.

I know winning MOM or even maybe MOY is superb, but winning too at CM would be pure nirvana. Ah well, even the best laid plans of mice and men are..... I just hope they don't "drop" the NEXT contest on us all of a sudden but give ample warning so that we can prepare something worthwhile AND FINISH, well just saying, hehe.

BTW, the last contest was extended another week or so at the request of several contestants (me included), it could be done again but I don't think for 5-6 weeks, as other events are pre-scheduled. Anyways...

Cheers and Saludos

Archived