PROJECT LUNAR SERENITY - CM 2009 Modding Contest - Completed

asgneto

Oops! I didn't catch your entry until now, but I think the theme is great and commemorates a great happening. Since I didn't see any master plan, I will wait to see what comes up. Kudos!

Cheers/Saludos

This is one strategic point for this project.

Do not reveal the master plan during the construction phases to ensure the surprise at the final week. show one step at each time.

I hope you enjoy it !

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Updating ...

Phase 2 - First Quarter

- production of acrylic parts - 75%

Early this week I received the material ordered to build the acrylic pieces of the casemod.

After cutting the first pieces, I began to build the cover of the radiator and frontal grill.

LUNAR046.jpg

I also cut several acrylic cubes with 1.0 x1, 0 cm to reinforce the corners of the pieces. They will be bonded with acrylic adhesive (solvent-based chloroform).

LUNAR047.jpg

To help unite and bend the parts, I set up a support with right angles and plywood.

The angle of 90 degrees is essential to the perfect fit of the parts.

LUNAR048.jpg

LUNAR049.jpg

LUNAR050.jpg

I began the assembling of the acrylic parts by the radiator cover ...

LUNAR051.jpg

First, I did the marking and cutting for the 120mm fans on the top panel.

LUNAR052.jpg

LUNAR053.jpg

LUNAR054.jpg

Then the panel was glued to the side pieces making a box.

LUNAR055.jpg

LUNAR056.jpg

The next step was a cut a support for the radiator and spaces to accommodate the connections of the radiator. The support has a large cut showing the entire area occupied by the fins of the radiator.

The support was glued to the box, creating a division in two separate houses. One to accommodate the radiator and another for the fans.

LUNAR057.jpg

LUNAR058.jpg

LUNAR059.jpg

For security, I added the small acrylic cubes to reinforce the structure and avoid problems.

LUNAR060.jpg

LUNAR061.jpg

LUNAR062.jpg

LUNAR063.jpg

Finally, I added a system for fixing the radiator allowing it to be removed and installed in the box quickly and smoothly.

LUNAR064.jpg

LUNAR065.jpg

LUNAR066.jpg

LUNAR067.jpg

LUNAR068.jpg

LUNAR069.jpg

Updating ...

Phase 2 - First Quarter

- production of acrylic parts - 85%

I started this week mounting the front grill.

First of all, I cut all pieces that are part of the grill structure and the 25 strips of acrylic with 2.0 x 47.0 cm and 3mm thick using a "acrylic cutter", square and ruler.

LUNAR070.jpg

LUNAR071.jpg

LUNAR072.jpg

LUNAR073.jpg

Then, the strips were properly sanded to match all in size and format.

LUNAR074.jpg

LUNAR075.jpg

In addition to the 25 strips reserved for the composition of the grill, it was necessary to cut another 5 strips for the manufacturing of spacers.

These extra strips were divided into 52 pieces with 4.0 x 2.0 cm.

LUNAR076.jpg

LUNAR077.jpg

The spacers, after cut, were united with duct tape in 2 blocks of 26 pieces that were matched using a sanding block and 120 grit sandpaper for metal.

LUNAR078.jpg

LUNAR079.jpg

LUNAR080.jpg

With the acrylic strips and spacers in the correct measure, I passed the next stage: assembling the grill.

Using the support of 90 degrees, the grill pieces were placed one-by-one, strips and spacers.

LUNAR081.jpg

LUNAR082.jpg

Once they were all, strips and spacers, perfectly aligned, the acrylic glue was applied (solvent-based one chloroform).

LUNAR083.jpg

After a few minutes of waiting for the glue dry completely, once again I sand on the parts to ensure they were all perfectly aligned.

LUNAR084.jpg

LUNAR085.jpg

LUNAR086.jpg

LUNAR087.jpg

Now, its time to test...

Perfect! As desired, the grill fit exact in the case front.

LUNAR088.jpg

LUNAR089.jpg

Next step was to make a inside finishing panel with space for 3 of 120mm fans. This finishing panel was bonded into the inside face of the grill.

LUNAR090.jpg

LUNAR091.jpg

Right now, it was necessary to adjust the height of the grill and do the thinning of the external borders to follow the curvature of the front of the case.

LUNAR092.jpg

LUNAR093.jpg

After almost two hours of boring work with sanding disks, and at the cost of lots of acrylic dust, I finally matched the curvature of the grill with the front of the case.

LUNAR094.jpg

LUNAR095.jpg

LUNAR096.jpg

LUNAR097.jpg

Finally, I put the acrylic cubes to reinforce the structure and grind the edge of the grill frame to facilitate the mounting in the case front.

LUNAR098.jpg

LUNAR099.jpg

LUNAR100.jpg

I just wanted to give a suggestion. You should update more frequently, maybe twice or thrice a week with a little more explanatory texts. First, that would push up your "view" count and second, people can understand better your project steps (get more involved to follow your project and revisit). I am a little befuddled about some of the photos as it is now.

Remember, "old school" is attention to detail too! He-he, let's see some more!

Cheers/Saludos

Archived