PROJECT LUNAR SERENITY - CM 2009 Modding Contest - Completed

asgneto

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phase 2 - First Quarter

- production of acrylic parts - 95%

On last week, it arrived the time of manufacturing the new side panels for the case.

According to the guidelines of the project, I planned an scheme of divided side panels that intend to facilitate the access to the motherboard. Who possesses a case with the dimensions of the Stacker knows how it is difficult to put and remove the huge side panel in the restricted space of a desktop when is necessary to reset the BIOS after a frustrated attempt of overclock.

lateral_bipartida.jpg

The side panels will be divided in two parts and to manufacture it , I used 2 pieces of crystal acrylic of 2mm with 55.2 x 52.5 cm and other two with 42.0 x 47.5 cm.

The larger panel, practically fixed to the chassis and will be painted of white, hides all the parts that are not very manipulated and that not should be exhibited and the smaller panel, transparent, that will be easier to remove to give fast access to the hardware and show the hardware installed inside the casemod.

I started bending a small part of the smaller panels using a hot air gun. That fold is essential for the fixation on the chassis. unfortunately, I haven't photos of this step because I didn't realize that the battery of my digital camera was discharged until this moment. :oops:

LUNAR101.jpg

Afterwards, it was time for preparation of the large panels. First, I covered the panel with duct tape and I made the marks with the necessary measures to draw the outlines. After drawing the lines, the panel was cut with a hacksaw using HSS blade. I did finish the cutting edges using a file and some sheets of metal sandpaper.

LUNAR102.jpg

LUNAR103.jpg

LUNAR104.jpg

LUNAR105.jpg

LUNAR106.jpg

LUNAR107.jpg

LUNAR108.jpg

The procedure used in smaller panels was similar to that used in large panels, the exception of marking. In this case, the large panels were used as a template for marking outlines allowing the end pieces would have a fitting with minimal gaps between them. To obtain such a result, the panels were cut in a size larger than necessary and then limed and sanded manually until they reach the exact measure.

LUNAR109.jpg

LUNAR110.jpg

LUNAR111.jpg

LUNAR112.jpg

LUNAR113.jpg

LUNAR114.jpg

Ahh.. now this part of your log was crystal clear with the help of some great text. Old school attention to detail, Kudos! Also, please hurry! I have to see the conclusion of your project and a reminder that the close date is very near.

Great idea (practical too) of dividing the side panel!

Cheers/Saludos

Ahh.. now this part of your log was crystal clear with the help of some great text. Old school attention to detail, Kudos! Also, please hurry! I have to see the conclusion of your project and a reminder that the close date is very near.

Great idea (practical too) of dividing the side panel!

Cheers/Saludos

Until now, my project is running on schedule.

Unless some major unforeseen happens, I see no risk of losing the contest deadline.

I'm trying, even with my bad English, bring as much detail ap possible for my log, but unfortunately, there are moments that words fail to describe the steps better.

But I think that in some cases, the images speak louder than words and no explanation is needed.

Anyway, if some portion become meaningless, let me know that I'll be happy to detail as possible.

Thanks Asgneto, it is great to applaud modders who share their gems (joyas) of knowledge. I will definitely have to report great and open minded contestants as yourself to our small modding community in Mexico. An example to follow, yessir!

Cheers/Saludos

P.D. Don't worry about your young age to join the SCMC, father time will take care of that! You are only 4 years away from becoming an honorary member, haha....

Well, good luck with the attachment of the sidepanel, won't be easy I guess.

Keep up the nice work. ;)

The attachment of the side panel is ready and tested... :wink:

Let's say that some information was reserved more for the future.

Thanks Asgneto, it is great to applaud modders who share their gems (joyas) of knowledge. I will definitely have to report great and open minded contestants as yourself to our small modding community in Mexico. An example to follow, yessir!

Cheers/Saludos

P.D. Don't worry about your young age to join the SCMC, father time will take care of that! You are only 4 years away from becoming an honorary member, haha....

I believe that knowledge must be shared because besides the fact that this proves that you know what it's doing, this helps others modders to evolve.

I hope these four years are not rushing to pass. I prefer to continue as a "young" padawan. hehehehehe

I'm proud to present the first official sponsor of the LUNAR SERENITY Project: LC Watercooling from Brasil.

LC-WC.jpg

Today, I received a water pump LC-DP1200 to replace the monstrous Via Aqua 2300 I had been using until now.

LUNAR122.jpg

Features:

- allows mounting horizontally or vertically;

- vibration dampers in brackets;

- uses 3 Pin Motherboard Header;

- compact and quiet.

LUNAR123.jpg

LUNAR124.jpg

LUNAR125.jpg

Specs:

Voltage(Max/min): 12v/8v

Max. Input Power: 18W

Max Flow Rate: over 230GPH

Dimensions (L x H x W): 75 x 54 x 66 mm

Soon I will be testing and publishing the results of performance for this water pump.

Phase 2 - First Quarter

- production of acrylic parts - 98%

The manufacture of acrylic buttons for the front column was the next step of the project.

After covering a piece of acrylic 5mm thick with duct tape, I marked the 3 buttons with a pencil.

LUNAR115.jpg

Next, cut the buttons leaving a good leftover acrylic on each side.

LUNAR116.jpg

I mounted the drill with sanding disc on the workmate and used the workbench for sanding edges of the buttons.

LUNAR117.jpg

After sanding the worst part with the drill, I was pulling out the differences manually, millimeter by millimeter, with a sandpaper until each button had the exact dimensions of the cuts made in the front column.

LUNAR118.jpg

LUNAR119.jpg

The next step was to cut pieces of 3mm blue acrylic to make the external finish.

The edges and inside of each one was trimmed to follow the curvature of the front column.

Once sanded, the blue acrylic were glued to the buttons.

LUNAR120.jpg

LUNAR121.jpg

I just noticed you posted pictures linking to your sponsor, which might be against the rules of the contest;

If you plan to use sponsored components for you mod:

* All modding work must be done by you, not the sponsors.

* You cannot do any advertising for the sponsors or any product in your worklog (i.e. posting links to online ecommerce sites for the product).

Just thought I'd let you know...

Archived