PROJECT LUNAR SERENITY - CM 2009 Modding Contest - Completed

asgneto

Another unusual (and probably great) Asgneto idea in the making! Now everything will melt except your motherboard northbridge when you overclock, heheh.

Now that I am doing led electricals, that base would look great with a led in its side. The "frosty" finish will diffuse light very well indeed! (just my idea when I saw it). Very well done, looks factory made.

More please!

Cheers/Saludos

No hardware melted... not again ! :roll:

Just joking... so far, I never lost hardware because of overclock.

You catch the idea... I'll put 3mm blue LEDs on the "frosty" base.

But, this mod is happen only in phase 3. :wink:

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Excellent casemod, asgneto. As always showing great technique in their work. The staff of GDH is with you.

Eddye, WELCOME to CM Forum...

Thanks for the comments e enjoy the contest threads.... 8)

Its time to correct a small fail on the CM STACKER design...

The lack of an opening in the tray on the motherboard to mount high-performance coolers and waterblocks. Some duct tape, a pen, a ruler and a square ... and ready, the markup for the opening cut is done.

LUNAR137.jpg

The cut was done with the Dremel and cut-off disks #409. After cutting, the finishing was realized with a file and a sheet of sandpaper for metal 220grit.

LUNAR138.jpg

LUNAR139.jpg

LUNAR140.jpg

Finally, a piece of rubber U to give a finishing with more "professional" look.

LUNAR141.jpg

LUNAR142.jpg

The Phase 3 is already in progress ...

I have dozens of photos to edit (to improve the contrast/brightness, reduce the size to 1024x768 and rename in the correct sequence) and post throughout the week.

Keep an eye on the log because the updates will be posted online one after another.

STAGE 3 - Full Moon

This phase includes the following processes:

A - Painting

B - Electrical System

C - Cooling System

D - Mounting the case

These processes, which have started on 25 August, are all happening in parallel.

For example, while the coat of primer dries, I'm soldering some leds.

The planned date for the end of this phase is September 10.

Although I have photos of the progress of all processes, I'll post all the steps of each process in a sequential manner to facilitate the understanding and organization of ideas.

Starting with the painting, the first thing to do is choose the paint color and buy the necessary materials for the process:

- Sheets of sandpaper 280, 360 and 400 grit.

- Universal Primer - Solvent for paint finish

- White Lacquer Paint

Other items that I had stored in the workshop that left over from previous projects:

- Sheets of sandpaper 600 and 1200 grit

- Plastic Sealant

- Industrial solvent for primer dilution and cleaning the equipment and parts

LUNAR145.jpg

Noobs, attention to the notice of the solvent!

Always wear a mask and goggles. Read the instructions and be careful.

Warning translation: Sale prohibited to minors of 18 years old. Inhalation of this product may cause death.

LUNAR146.jpg

Using a drill with a 5mm drill bit and a Phillips screwdriver, I removed all the rivets and screws of the chassis. At the end, after lots os rivets drilled, the Stacker chassis was turned into a large pile of pieces.

LUNAR156.jpgLUNAR157.jpgLUNAR158.jpgLUNAR159.jpgLUNAR160.jpgLUNAR161.jpgLUNAR162.jpgLUNAR163.jpgLUNAR164.jpgLUNAR165.jpg

The smaller parts of the case, were sanded with wet sandpaper while the bigger parts I used industrial solvent and a Stiff-blade knife to remove the heaviest part of the earlier painting before sanding. Once sanded, the pieces were washed with neutral soap and plenty of water.

LUNAR151.jpgLUNAR152.jpgLUNAR153.jpgLUNAR154.jpgLUNAR155.jpg

As the metal parts, plastic parts and acrylic also need to be prepared for painting.

Likewise, they were sanded and well washed.

LUNAR166.jpg

LUNAR149.jpgLUNAR150.jpg

I decided to use my old 5.25" bay reservoir...

This decision will cause some changes in the initial design, but will reduce the demand of time, save money and allow the reuse of a piece of my junkbox.

LUNAR148.jpg

LUNAR147.jpg

Asgneto, we must promote you from Padawan to Master Padawan (reserving the top rank for later)! Pieces, no, art forms waiting for a master paint job, yes.

Warning translation: Sale prohibited to minors of 18 years old. Inhalation of this product may cause death.

Wow, they are really severe in Brazil! Not death but a "very ugly high" might be better. If not, no one will use it! These types of paints are great for professional finishes.

The acrylic grill looks like a recipient for some strategic leds.

Coldly planned as if you were using a Gantt chart. Experience shows! Me? I attack the easy parts first and leave the hardest until last, a very messy way to do a mod (it shows in my worklog) but you have to be messy to have fun, IMO!

Bravo Asgneto, more please!

Cheers and Saludos

Asgneto, we must promote you from Padawan to Master Padawan (reserving the top rank for later)! Pieces, no, art forms waiting for a master paint job, yes.

Wow, they are really severe in Brazil! Not death but a "very ugly high" might be better. If not, no one will use it! These types of paints are great for professional finishes.

The acrylic grill looks like a recipient for some strategic leds.

Coldly planned as if you were using a Gantt chart. Experience shows! Me? I attack the easy parts first and leave the hardest until last, a very messy way to do a mod (it shows in my worklog) but you have to be messy to have fun, IMO!

Bravo Asgneto, more please!

Cheers and Saludos

I'm still training to master padawan... it is too early to be promoted.

We had many problems in Brazil with street children sniffing solvents ...

The government changed the legislation and enforcement was more severe for this type of product.

It's funny, but when dealing with people who have vision for adaptation (read "mods"), many secrets are revealed before the right time...

I read the same observation made by Papang in some forums, while in others I read about other details.

Belive ou not, If I join all the comments in just one place, all the secrets would be revealed at once.

Archived