PROJECT LUNAR SERENITY - CM 2009 Modding Contest - Completed

asgneto

Yesterday there was a big mess ... :cry:

In the middle of the paint job, my cheap spray gun with direct air flow was obstructed with some dirt and the plastic spray cup exploded in my hand.

air90.jpg

I tried to disconnect the air compressor, but could not reach the power switch before the explosion.

LUNAR178.jpg

Part of the painting was damaged, I lost a lot of material and had to restart the service today after buying a new reservoir and cleaning of the damaged parts .

Tomorrow, I will be posting photos of the painting after removing the paint that was snapped in my hands, feet and legs. :oops:

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG/Dios Mio! Are you alright? I saw something similar and the painter was sent to the hospital and was on sick leave for a couple of weeks! Sorry this happened!

Be better.

Cheers and Saludos y Buena Salud!

OMG/Dios Mio! Are you alright? I saw something similar and the painter was sent to the hospital and was on sick leave for a couple of weeks! Sorry this happened!

Be better.

Cheers and Saludos y Buena Salud!

Yes, I'm fine...

I lost part of the painting and have to redo, but I was possible to save a lot of parts.

Thank's for your concern !

As the music of Queen ...

SHOW MUST GO ON...

Phase 3 - FULL MOON

- Update

Painting Process

First part…

Paint removal and surface preparation.

More details in previous posts…

Second part...

Application of sealant in plastic and acrylic parts

Note: I did the outline of the side covers with yellow line to allow the location of parts in the picture.

LUNAR175.jpgLUNAR176.jpgLUNAR177.jpg

Third part...

Application of primer

Some of the pieces was hung on a wire to allow the application of primer on all their faces while another part, which could not be hung or do not need this feature, was placed on the support bench. Some of these pieces, because they are very light, were glued to bench with adhesive tape to avoid they come out flying in the application of paint.

LUNAR167.jpgLUNAR168.jpgLUNAR169.jpgLUNAR170.jpgLUNAR171.jpgLUNAR172.jpgLUNAR173.jpgLUNAR174.jpg

LUNAR179.jpgLUNAR180.jpg

Fourth Part...

Correction and finish coat of primer

24hrs after the application of the primer, all parts was sanded with sandpaper 360 to correct imperfections and "smoothing" the surface for paint application.

This step is very important to allow a free surface imperfections at the end of the painting process.

Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of that step of the process. I decided not to risk my digital camera bringing too close of water and no one was around at this time to help with the pictures.

Fifth part ...

Paint application

At this moment everything goes wrong ...

For my occasional paintings I use a cheap spray gun, with continuos air flow, and the nozzle has clogged with some dirt .

Suddenly, all the air flow was implemented in the cup and began to leak ink by the junction of the cup with the spray gun.

At this point the only thing I thought is:

- I need to turn off the air compressor...

BOOOM!

There was no time ... I turned to run, but the cup exploded first.

One part of the cup got stucked in the spray gun and another part was violently thrown against the floor. This part, full of paint, hit the ground throwing paint everywhere. A big mess...

The worst thing is that some ink hit pieces hanging just above and some pieces that were on the bench. Most of the pieces was damaged with ink dripping or coarse droplets of ink and have to be sanded and painted again.

Again I don't took pictures because I was covered in ink, upset and angry with what happened.

I just did a photo after remove some ink from the hands and clear the mess.

LUNAR178.jpg

Great job my friend, I think we're already seeing the project champion, I hope this problem does not affect much the project, I look anxiously for more details and photos of the Lunar Serenity, my vote is yours already!

Sincerely :cheers:

the works are coming nice mate congrats.Hope your back online now..... keep up the nice work.

Thanks Dj Penn aand mstjuan !

After this unpleasant surprise, I'm back to work...

So, I have to work hard to compensate for the two days lost because of the problem with the spray gun.

Keep eyes open... Updates soon...

very nice clean mod upto now thanks for the updates keep them coming also nice paint job :)

Today, I started to correct the problems caused by the explosion of the spray gun.

Tomorrow should be a new update ...

I am following your project ... The Lamborghini is getting awesome !

As the music of Queen ...

SHOW MUST GO ON...

And you're doing it excellently Sir asgneto!!!

More power Bro!!!

Thanks Sir sunny !!!

I loving your job on the Satella Project, it very impressive job on the fangrill !

Archived