**Voting is now opened** 2009 Modding Contest

Guest yAu

Should the CM Modding Contest 09 submission deadline be extended from 09/20/09 to 09/30/09?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Should the CM Modding Contest 09 submission deadline be extended from 09/20/09 to 09/30/09?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahhh, ok. Sorry, well it threw me off because he did act like one with the pointer to sunnyextremist! All I can say, no one acts like a competitor here, looks more like we are in a workshop shootin' bull, hehheh!

Asgneto is a moderator? Wow, how did he do it?

I'm a moderator? No. .. definitely not ... hehehehehe

I only know the correct procedure for this type of correction because of the many years on road. 8)

Competitors !?!?! Where are they?

I see only a group of friends and curious around a common interest ... casemod!

I just had a doubt from a comment I made to Maxsession when he dropped by my thread: "One question: as far as I understand, our mods have to be functional, right? No respectable contest that I know, will let just a modded case compete, am I right? Judges usually ask for a pic with the mod next to a monitor, showing that it works."

Since this is my first time here, is this a pre-requisite here? If not, I would really save a lot time trying to install all the HW in order for it to work. I would simply short a power supply just to make the fans and lights work with no other components to power up. But is this fair? or permissible?

Sincerely

I just had a doubt from a comment I made to Maxsession when he dropped by my thread: "One question: as far as I understand, our mods have to be functional, right? No respectable contest that I know, will let just a modded case compete, am I right? Judges usually ask for a pic with the mod next to a monitor, showing that it works."

Since this is my first time here, is this a pre-requisite here? If not, I would really save a lot time trying to install all the HW in order for it to work. I would simply short a power supply just to make the fans and lights work with no other components to power up. But is this fair? or permissible?

Sincerely

That is soo true, I ran into several casemod competitions where the cases did not work at all, only a PSU connected to the lights. :cry:

Your suggestion about a picture of working monitor beside the case is also quite easily faked, so thats a no-brainer. This whole competitions is full of cases that are not made entirely by the people who post them, but it seems CM doesnt care. I guess we will just have to live with this. :|

Well, Frenkie, since our mods will be judged by our peers, I would suspect that most respect our own handicrafts than that of a sub. Subbing is quite used to get the most from the mods (laser cutting, air brushing, etc) but mostly for exhibition purposes (trade shows, expos, meets, etc). And it should be for that, not entered in a contest against normal modders, unless they are just showing us what can be done (I really would like to air brush someday). But just look what a little sweat and enthusiasm can do: Cham_E_Lyon and his hand saw vs. a table saw. He has my respects for that (even has a video showing this) and my support!

Heck, even yAu agrees:

But please keep in mind that we will highly recommend voters to consider the amount of original work put in by the modder.

and he manages this contest! So Frenkie, who gets your vote (please do, we need it and I respect your opinion)? I guess you know mine, heheh. I suppose we can't vote for ourselves, now THAT would be a riot!

Just my 2 cents again

Cheers and saludos

Hi All,

One question: as far as I understand, our mods have to be functional, right?

This seems to be a given prerequisite for us, so we did not explicitly state it on the rules. In addition, there's really no easy way to prove that a mod is actually working.

We will try our best to monitor all the mods and worklogs. When it comes to voting, we'll have to count on the professionalism and the spirit of fair competition of our peer voters.

Thank you.

I guess you are correct yAu, Cooler Master makes computer cases, not flower pots (or cases for flowers) as some one mentioned in the forum and it would be logical for all competing mods to truly be computers. However, nowadays, if something is only implied, I would dare say that many would interpret it as not necessary to comply and skip over it. Imagine people competing in the mod contest with only the cases! No use of great CM water cooling systems, heatsinks, bridge coolers, power sources, etc.--just empty cases!

Forcing competitors to make their mods functional will force them to think also about the hardware to be incorporated, thus spawning the use of the aforementioned great CM components and including them within the modded cases. It would atleast force them to put water into their water cooling systems!

That would mean photos of the interiors of the cases with explanations as to how they are to integrate their HW into their mod and atleast a boot up screen? More experienced competitors like FrenkieNL could tell us more on how to keep competitors honest. I say it is obligatory and implied, but I come from the "pure old school" train of thought, I don't cut corners.

From my experience ( a few years), most modders: personalize their cases, are gamers, and overclock. Some more in some areas than others but usually juggle all 3 areas with grace and enthusiasm. These are the guys (also a few gals) that are desirable to compete with in a contest, IMO.

Another 2 cents

Sincerely

Archived