Project "Ovni"/UFO from Mexico (2009 Mod Entry)-COMPLETE

PaPang

Having tried to capture the strobe in a photo, I made a short video to cap off this stage:

th_TopLightTest.jpg

Background music by the Texas A & M Marching Band playing their version of "Jalisco" (a Mexican State and song). I also promise that this is the last marching band music. :lol:

Man Hours Used: 18 hours

$ Invested: $120.50mn for red ub leds, double sided adhesive, heat shrink tubing, aligator clips, duplex cable and terminals

Thanks for dropping by and on to the final stretch wishing all good luck.

Cheers and Saludos

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well folks, just 2 days to go and this should be my next to the last post (finally, phewww!). This part was dedicated to the "center" part finishing touches and loading an operating system, which in this case will be Windows 7 Ultimate x64 bits and a spin to test out the OS and the system I have used in the Ovni.

One of the pending things before I shut the access to the dome is the stainless steel screen or mesh to help filter out major "dust bunnies" from the psu and hdd. Here is a small roll I've had for a long time. Since I had to buy a minimum, this turned out to be 25cms X 1 meter, so it was a lot of material. It is used in small amounts to help filter fans and openings that suck in fresh air.

DSCI000150.jpg

Only 4 small pieces were used to cover the slots around the strobe.

Of course final fitting problems inserting it into the dome. Screws on the underside of the center now prevented it from falling in completely into its area so I had to fit and shave off the obstructions:

DSCI000432.jpg

DSCI000242.jpg

DSCI000336.jpg

Having gotten the fitting out of the way, now the OS installation. I was crossing my fingers since my cpu suffered a case of bent pins and I was not sure if it would work. Fortunately, luck was on my side and the cpu appeared to be in fine shape, thus permitting a boot up and then the OS install.

DSCI000530.jpg

Success! Here is a shot of the system page with the properties of the OS and other data. No programs were installed except for Opensourcemark to test and burn in the system. It will hold up as I left it all night doing a test and it came out well.

DSCI000624.jpg

Ohh, one little detail about my CM bridge cooler, probably directed to CM engineers. The cooler does not have a clip mechanism, just an adhesive heat pad. Most heat pads with heat from the bridge, will soften and adhere to the surface with use. Since I could only burn it in one night (last night), I had to flip my motherboard over to finish the assembly....well, the cooler fell down, sigh......remember, there is no clip mechanism to hold it in place like the northbridge factory heat sink

DSCI000917.jpg

I finally fixed it with a small piece of stiff wire held in place by 2 screws nearby that held the motherboard in place. It appears to be fixed in place so a little more improvisation done.

DSCI001110.jpg

I picked up a comb connector at the electronics shop similar to the ones one of the contestants used on his mod (who else, sunnxtremist) in hope of being able to compact this mess. If I see I can do it, I will, if not, for a future upgrade/improvement.

DSCI001210.jpg

So much for now, in goes the CM psu and hard drive assembly and to connect everything for the final pics, I hope.

Man hours invested: 10 hours

$ Invested: -0-

Thanks for looking and on to the final stretch...!!!! Good luck to all those still rushing to finish.

Cheers and Saludos

Well folks, just 2 days to go and this should be my next to the last post (finally, phewww!). This part was dedicated to the "center" part finishing touches and loading an operating system, which in this case will be Windows 7 Ultimate x64 bits and a spin to test out the OS and the system I have used in the Ovni.

One of the pending things before I shut the access to the dome is the stainless steel screen or mesh to help filter out major "dust bunnies" from the psu and hdd. Here is a small roll I've had for a long time. Since I had to buy a minimum, this turned out to be 25cms X 1 meter, so it was a lot of material. It is used in small amounts to help filter fans and openings that suck in fresh air.

DSCI000150.jpg

Only 4 small pieces were used to cover the slots around the strobe.

Of course final fitting problems inserting it into the dome. Screws on the underside of the center now prevented it from falling in completely into its area so I had to fit and shave off the obstructions:

DSCI000432.jpg

DSCI000242.jpg

DSCI000336.jpg

Having gotten the fitting out of the way, now the OS installation. I was crossing my fingers since my cpu suffered a case of bent pins and I was not sure if it would work. Fortunately, luck was on my side and the cpu appeared to be in fine shape, thus permitting a boot up and then the OS install.

DSCI000530.jpg

Success! Here is a shot of the system page with the properties of the OS and other data. No programs were installed except for Opensourcemark to test and burn in the system. It will hold up as I left it all night doing a test and it came out well.

DSCI000624.jpg

Ohh, one little detail about my CM bridge cooler, probably directed to CM engineers. The cooler does not have a clip mechanism, just an adhesive heat pad. Most head pads with head from the bridge, will soften and adhere to the surface with use. Since I could only burn it in one night (last night), I had to flip my motherboard over to finish the assembly....well, the cooler fell down, sigh......remember, there is no clip mechanism to hold it in place like the northbridge factory heat sink

DSCI000917.jpg

I finally fixed it with a small piece of stiff wire held in place by 2 screws that held the motherboard in place. It appears to be fixed in place so a little more improvisation done.

DSCI000721.jpg

Putting in order all the connectors, I found out that I had a rats nest of them and there were still 3 more to connect:

DSCI001110.jpg

I picked up a comb connector at the electronics shop similar to the ones one of the contestants used on his mod (who else, sunnxtremist) in hope of being able to compact this mess. If I see I can do it, I will, if not, for a future upgrade/improvement.

DSCI001210.jpg

So much for now, in goes the CM psu and hard drive assembly and to connect everything for the final pics, I hope.

Man hours invested: 10 hours

$ Invested: -0-

Thanks for looking and on to the final stretch...!!!! Good luck to all those still rushing to finish.

Cheers and Saludos

very nice mate... me having a break and continue here is 1:20 in the morning most pro i will stay awake till 5 and then straight to work.

I guess this was not what we expected on our first contest. Even though it is a good "pressure" to finish, it is still there and not sleeping is not good even if a short while. I also see you work naked, smoke, need a shave and could loose some weight (kidding, all of us could loose some). Ahh, a workshop like mine, the kitchen!

21092009549.jpg

Thanks for sharing--the true MstJuan!

Cheers and Saludos

Yo Sir PaPang the great,

!!! I can't say anything, you made the CM Forum alive and had all both butt kicked!!!

Very proficient in English, detailed worklog and a great modding...

You and the rest of the guys... let's have a coffee/beer break (plus your cigara break)...

It's just finishing touches now and we sing the favorite song of Frenkie (opps Frank Sinatra, i mean)

Something like a modder song...

And now, the end is near;

And so I face the final retouching.

My friend, Ill say it clear,

Ill show my case, of which Im certain.

Ive lived a life thats full.

Ive traveled each and evry modsite;

And more, much more than this,

I did it my way.

Regrets, Ive had a few;

But then again, too few to mention.

I did what I had to do

And saw it through without exemption.

I planned each charted course;

Each careful step along a sketchup,

But more, much more than this,

I did it my way.

Yes, there were times, Im sure you knew

When I bit off more than I could chew.

But through it all, when there was doubt,

I ate it up and spit it out.

I faced it all and I stood tall;

And did it my way.

Ive loved, Ive laughed and cried.

Ive had my fill; my share of blogging.

And now, as tears subside,

I find it all so amusing.

To think I did all that;

And may I say - not in a shy way,

No, oh no not me,

I did it my way.

For what is a mod, what has it got?

If not himself, then he has naught.

To say the things he truly feels;

And not the words of one who kneels.

The record shows I took the joy -

And did it my way!

was that mstjuan, or Tom Cruise side view... doing some McGyver routine...

The mod world is just a small place and we'll see each other from time to time... sure to check you site soon! (bookmarked)

Archived