Project: Mission - 2009 Mod Contest Entry - Completed

Jeffrey Stephenson

No tin sample? :cry:

Maybe if I can find a cheap sample somewhere.

322.jpg

Sanded the project back down again using 100-grit sandpaper. Shown on top is my homemade leveling tool.

323.jpg

I took a known flat piece of wood and clamped some sandpaper to it. It knocks down any high spots on the tabletop by drawing it back and forth across the surface like rowing a boat.

324.jpg

Its test fit time after installing the computer equipment into the case. Any excuse really.

325.jpg

326.jpg

Opportunity to review the equipment list.

Intel E7400 C2D

Gigabyte EP43-UD3L motherboard

Palit GeForce GTX 280

4GB Crucial DDR2 1066

Silverstone Nitrogon NT06 HSF

Silverstone 600W Strider PSU

Seagate 400GB HDD

Sony Blu-Ray optical drive

327.jpg

The backside shows the HDMI adapter that I use to connect the GTX 280 to my HDTV. Also shown is my new Linksys PCI wireless adapter...well, the antenna anyway.

328.jpg

The main purpose of this test fit is to size up the optical drive hole in the front brzel. I've been dragging my feet because of the high probability of fail for this operation.

329.jpg

Rough cut the hole with my trusty Japanese razor knife.

330.jpg

Size it up again to look for fail. It is lurking nearby I'm sure.

333.jpg

The 60-grit sandpaper I was using on the top edge got caught in the grain and tore out a piece bigger than I wanted. I evened the edge out but it left a wider than planned gap between it and the top of the drive.

332.jpg

Not a complete fail. I knew all along that compromises would have to be made. Clearances around the optical drive were going to have to be "liberal" in order to easily slide the case in and out of the shell. I could tighten up the gaps with moulding and then trim it for insertion ease but that could end up right where I'm at now. I'll have to ponder.

Thanks for looking!

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could only see if I squatted (squat?) and looked closer with a critical eye, really not that visible. However, I suppose you are going to give it a faceplate uplifting? Maybe with a piece of matching or contrasting veneer, glued/velcroed to the faceplate of the burner? That piece of veneer can correct the small hollow left by your cut. Result? A perfect fit!

Cheers/Saludos

I could only see if I squatted (squat?) and looked closer with a critical eye, really not that visible. However, I suppose you are going to give it a faceplate uplifting? Maybe with a piece of matching or contrasting veneer, glued/velcroed to the faceplate of the burner? That piece of veneer can correct the small hollow left by your cut. Result? A perfect fit!

Cheers/Saludos

I won't be making any attempt to hide the fact that this is a computer. I get much better response from people if I leave them clues rather than force them to ask "What is it?" On my last build, Ingraham, it was the front-mounted ports. People couldn't understand why I didn't try to hide them. It's just my "thing".

I already solved my gap problem by shimming the case bottom by 1/64". That evened out the upper and lower gaps.

Thanks for the comments PaPang. I see your project is coming along nicely. :)

[334.jpg

I fixed my CD drive gap problem by gluing down a 1/64" (0.40mm) piece of 3-ply aircraft plywood to the front section of the shell floor. This bumps up the face of the case to even out the drive's upper and lower gaps. The added plywood will get painted when I give the project a final coat of flat black.

337.jpg

After sanding much of the sealer off with 100-grit sandpaper I went over it again with 220-grit. I brushed on a coat of clear satin-finish brushing-lacquer and let dry for two hours. I finished up this stage with another coat of lacquer and set it asisde to dry.

336.jpg

335.jpg

Starting to get a reflection off the top.

Next up is to go over it with fairly course steel wool to remove any glopped up pools of dried lacquer. Follow that with a 400/600/1000-grit sanding depending on how crazy I want to get. I'm using satin finish lacquer so there won't be any big push to go high-gloss but I do like the feel of a finely sanded surface.

Thanks for looking!

As it is, I would be proud to have it in my living room! Kudos! If I used it to display my "Ovni", I feel folks would be admiring the "pedestal" more than my mod! A tip of my hat to ya'!

Cheers/Saludos

As it is, I would be proud to have it in my living room! Kudos! If I used it to display my "Ovni", I feel folks would be admiring the "pedestal" more than my mod! A tip of my hat to ya'!

Cheers/Saludos

LOL thanks for that PaPang!

I'm currently fussing over the finish by sanding it down and re-applying the lacquer. In between coats I'm doing some detail work and trying on some "looks".

Here goes...

342.jpg

After another monumental struggle I've come up with this solution for a handle(s). They are solid stainless steel bars that are suppose to be kitchen cabinet hardware. A handle to help pull the case out of the shell has been in the plans from the beginning.

343.jpg

The handles also serve to protect the fragile antenna and adaptors sticking out the back. The setup also adds another layer of strength to the aluminum back panel.

344.jpg

An excuse to shoot a few more "fashion" photos. I'm still not happy with the lighting and colors but that will have to wait.

345.jpg

347.jpg

348.jpg

349.jpg

350.jpg

351.jpg

354.jpg

355.jpg

This is suppose to be burgundy but it shows up as red on my monitor.

356.jpg

The bottom of the shell needs a coat of flat black and to have the inlet grill mounted.

357.jpg

358.jpg

359.jpg

I reversed the grill to show its unfinished side instead of the polished front. I think the more industrial looking side displays better on the case bottom.

Thanks for looking!

361.jpg

Standard el cheapo air conditioning filter from Wally World.

362.jpg

Cut to size. (Looks like I'll get at least two more out of it)

363.jpg

Fit into the recess created between the grill's wooden frame and the shell bottom. (Note to self: Get a better filter support pattern like those ones with medium sized holes).

364.jpg

Action photo, well...kinda. :D Now I just need to remember to change the PC filter when I change the AC filter.

Thanks for looking.

Archived